The Ultimate Price Gouge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
safeway.jpg

There are two hurricanes bearing down the Hawaiian Islands and many folks are stocking up on provisions, including bottled water.
The photo above was shared on Face Book today from a Safeway store in Hawaii. I will be closing my Club Card account; also I will no longer be shopping at any of their affiliate chains either.

@Aunt Bea, that price of $24.34 is for only 12 bottles of 1.5 liter water, but wait, in Hawaii you must pay 5¢ fee per bottle, oh and 4.5% sales tax on all of the above. My calculations come to $26.07USD for 12 bottles of water, granted, Hawaiian Springs is a very pretty bottle, but, GEEZ!!! One more vent: 12 bottle of water is not a case in my book.

@Aunt Bea, that price of $24.34 is for only 12 bottles of 1.5 liter water, but wait, in Hawaii you must pay 5¢ fee per bottle, oh and 4.5% sales tax on all of the above. My calculations come to $26.07USD for 12 bottles of water, granted, Hawaiian Springs is a very pretty bottle, but, GEEZ!!! One more vent: 12 bottle of water is not a case in my book.

You don't have to convince me dear, I'm just telling you what I saw when I googled it. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I was reading about the hurricane headed for Hawaii earlier today, sure hope it passes the big island by and there isn't any damage.

IF that is a price hike for the storm, I'm willing to bet that it isn't directed by corporate. It would be bad for business, and very bad publicity.

IF this is a price gouge than someone will likely be in trouble.

The price in the photo is $24. for 12 1.5 liter bottles. Looking at their website, that's almost half the price they advertise ($48.) for the same thing.

Still, that seems like a lot for water but it's a bargain for that product.

I don't find it unreasonable to raise the price before a possible hurricane. People get greedy and clean out the stores. Then they want to return the items later. Raising the price after the hurricane, that's a different story.

Canceling your club card is only cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It won't matter to corporate yet you'll simply pay more for any product you buy from them.

Double down on any savings you can get is the only way to have them make less profit and that seems to be what you're seeking.

I don't know that much about Safeway stores in Hawaii. I only know about the one in our town and they gouge on everything. I can't afford to shop there. However in this case the price for a case of that stuff is lower than the on line price.

Last edited:
When we went to sprinkle Mom in Canada last year, Safeway was more expensive than another grocery store. We ended up at Safeway as we couldn't find the other store, and we were able to drive the boat right up to the Safeway dock.

...but wait, in Hawaii you must pay 5¢ fee per bottle, oh and 4.5% sales tax on all of the above....
Is the 5 cents a fee, or is it a refundable deposit you get when you return the bottle to an authorized redemption center? There are a number of states with deposits, MA included. I'm cheap, so I ALWAYS take bottles (and cans) back for my 5 cents. Also, HI's 4.5% sales tax is on the low end of state sales taxes. MA is 6.25%, OH is 5.75%, up to 8% with optional county "piggyback" taxes. When adding state and piggyback taxes, some counties in CA can reach a dime on each dollar! :ohmy:

I must be missing something because I'm not seeing the price gouge. If the normal price is $48 a case, as it states on the website, then $24.34 sounds like roughly 50% off. And the .05 cent fee you're referring to is the deposit, which you would get back when you return it.

I'd also add that this isn't your garden variety bulk drinking water, but rather some premium Artesian la-di-da product. If I were stocking up on water before a storm, I think I'd be filling up containers from the tap instead of buying this stuff.

Lastly, there is no legal definition of what constitutes a "case" of anything. Sometimes it's 12 bottles. Other times it's 24. But it could just as easily be 37.5 if that's what the manufacturer decides it's going to be.

Last edited:
I must be missing something because I'm not seeing the price gouge. If the normal price is $48 a case, as it states on the website, then $24.34 sounds like roughly 50% off. And the .05 cent fee you're referring to is the deposit, which you would get back when you return it.

I'd also add that this isn't your garden variety bulk drinking water, but rather some premium Artesian la-di-da product. If I were stocking up on water before a storm, I think I'd be filling up containers from the tap instead of buying this stuff.

Lastly, there is no legal definition of what constitutes a "case" of anything. Sometimes it's 12 bottles. Other times it's 24. But it could just as easily be 37.5 if that's what the manufacturer decides it's going to be.

agreed

Is the 5 cents a fee, or is it a refundable deposit you get when you return the bottle to an authorized redemption center? There are a number of states with deposits, MA included. I'm cheap, so I ALWAYS take bottles (and cans) back for my 5 cents. Also, HI's 4.5% sales tax is on the low end of state sales taxes. MA is 6.25%, OH is 5.75%, up to 8% with optional county "piggyback" taxes. When adding state and piggyback taxes, some counties in CA can reach a dime on each dollar! :ohmy:

I give my empties to my next door neighbor. She fills up a green bag, then loads it into the big cart we have on the premesis and wheels them down to the redemption center about three blocks away. She put all the money into a fund that she uses for Christmas presents for her grandchildren. Most of the residents do the same for her. She is one of the less popular residents, but for this fund, we all save our empties for her. I only may have two or really splurge and have three a month.

CG, our sales tax started out many, many moons a go at only 5%. And that included our meals tax and hotel tax. Then Beacon Hill went crazy and raised all the taxes included your car costs with extra taxes. Welcome to Taxachusetts! :angel:

I read your "Kitchen In The Dessert". That was quite some trip you and your DH took in the western part of our beautiful country. Is this the first time you have traveled that extensively on this side of the pond? :angel:

And I complain about a case (24 12oz cans) of beer costing $15.

Seems beer is cheaper than water in Hawaii.
Isn't that the deal in Hawaii? Live in splendor, but pay through the nose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom