The Yankee - Dixie test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well there ya have it.
The less southern you are, the more this test tries to tells you that you are :wacko:

well, I`m not sure how (or indeed IF) the test works, but I always liked Dukes of Hazard as a kid, maybe that`s why?

Which part, the part where I put the laughing smiley, or the part where I said I never heard someone referred to as a dixie?

I really don't know who created the test, but it's pretty funny that being a "dixie" seems to be pretty common, even for us northerners....

I've heard of leaving my heart in dixie, and dixieland of course, but no, no movie I ever saw, book I ever read or person I ever talked to referred to a southerner as "a dixie". That's a new one on me.

Actually, you said "And where did this term "dixie" come from? First time I ever heard it." I took that to mean you had never heard the term "dixie" before at all, not just referring to a person.

My result was 50%, which is about right, I guess - I was born in VA, raised primarily in MI, and have lived the last 25 years in VA.

I am 61% Dixie. I find the test flawed also. Several of the answers I gave were different areas including the South. I've lived in Florida within 35 miles of where I was born most of my life.

I agree the test is flawed. I scored a 61% as well. I was born in a Naval hospital in VA, we moved around a lot, even overseas for a few years. Most of my life I've lived in OK. I did live in MI for 4 1/2 years. They know about "Devil's Night" up there. I was aware of the term, but down here in OK, we don't call it anything.

hmmmmmm "barely Dixie?" I've never lived in the South!

Maybe it's cause I just ordered some White Lily Flour... ya think? :rolleyes:

Actually, you said "And where did this term "dixie" come from? First time I ever heard it." I took that to mean you had never heard the term "dixie" before at all, not just referring to a person.

My result was 50%, which is about right, I guess - I was born in VA, raised primarily in MI, and have lived the last 25 years in VA.

Ahhh, yeah, I meant the term referring to a person as a dixie :)
Of course I've heard the term, dixie. Wasn't that one of the Golden Girls? :LOL:

Of course I've heard the term, dixie. Wasn't that one of the Golden Girls? :LOL:

Not the Golden Girls unless you are referring to Blanche who was Southern. There is an actress by the name of Dixie Carter who was in another show Designing Women .

Yep! Thanks, LC.
I knew it was one of those shows I skipped over (honest).

I have two cans of that in my cupboard as we speak! :chef:

Ya know...in the back of my mind I said..."I bet she has some" but thought I would mention it anyway....

Take the test again...everytime you can answer "I don't know" do it...In other words act dumb! It'll probably ask if you're related to "The General":LOL:

61% Dixie. Well, duh.

even though I grew up (i.e., came up) around Chicago, I got enough family from southern states to claim that status. All the old folks fought for the Confederacy, and I even have a great-grandfather whose name was Jefferson Davis (last name).

And I had to good sense to marry a good ole boy from Tennessee.

Not the Golden Girls unless you are referring to Blanche who was Southern. There is an actress by the name of Dixie Carter who was in another show Designing Women .

my 2 favorite shows!
blanche's accent was fer 'golden girls.' she really spoke as a northerner.

Okay, I grew up in Upstate NY, spend 4 yrs in wester NY for college, 3 yrs in NC for grad school and have live for the last 19+ years in Maryland and I got a 53% Dixie. It was a fun quiz, but I know that depending where you grew up in NY or even in new england, some of the answers would be different.

It said I'm "49% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category."

Most of my answers were common to the whole U.S., sometimes "also southeast," "also mid-west," etc., so it really seems to lean toward the "also" areas. Although I was raised in California, I think a lot of the things I say lean more toward the midwestern way of speaking (like "pop" for carbonated drinks). Of course my mom and dad were both born in the midwest, although my mom moved with her family to California when she was seven.

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom