There's a mouse in my house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saphellae------are you my long-lost twin daughter??? Your twin thinks that her bedroom floor is another closet shelf that holds more and is more practical..........I cleaned out her room (after I warned her that I would) and found 3 year old Easter candy and all kinds of yuck things...I'm sure that it would have been just a matter of time before wee beasties would have moved in. She had gone off to a debate camp for a week and was very happy to find a clean room------I did respect her personal items, however. She was happy, that is, until I told her that I paid myself the $50 of loose change that I found EVERYWHERE!:ROFLMAO: If I have to be your maid I'm charging you. I'd like to say that it was a good lesson but she is a slob to this day.

Hehe!! I very well could be.. but I mostly learned my lesson that time. I had some pretty nasty things in my room too. Sometimes I would leave dishes in there for over a week and it would have mold on it.. or I'd have a plastic bag with a half opened lunch in it for a month or two... Yep, I don't do THAT anymore!

But go figure. To this day, I have a fear of opening more than 1 day old tupperware containers. I make hubby do it.

I also have a fear of leftovers. I hardly eat them. DH is the garbage can here!

Had a mouse (must have been a huge one too) move in once... traps didn't work so I wound up buying a couple boxes of poison. Opened one and dropped it in the closet where I suspected he hung out alot.

The dang thing ate the WHOLE box of poison. Actually chewed the box open farther to get at it all. I was surprised not to see him lying dead right there, or even sitting there with a note demanding more!

Perhaps I should have expected this, as some of the odds and ends that I found the thing had swiped then gnawed on and/or eaten included:

-A bottle of my fiancee's Pamprin. Finished off the bottle.
-A tube of Cortizone 10. At least half the tube.
-A roll of film.
-Several small candles (enough that I debated baiting traps with wax).

Haven't seen hide nor hair (or droppings) of the little bugger since, and since I haven't come across a reek I don't think Mr. Nibbles died in the house. But I still can't get past the VOLUME the sucker could pack away.

Corey, rats & mice are brilliant swimmers. there's a whole host of tests for learning & memory that take advantage of that. check it out here. also, as you've learned, they're awful bitey when scared, which is horrible! pick up glue traps with a pair of tongs, or only by the edge that's far away from his mouth.

like i said earlier: the humane way to deal with the animals trapped in glue boards is going to be nasty. severe head trauma (via, for example, direct hammer hit to the head or a sledgehammer or cinderblock dropped from a couple of feet up) is acceptable as long as it's done quickly. slow crushing is not nice, but a quick sharp crush makes him unconscious and dead at the same time. chopping off his head (again, quickly) with a stout pair of scissors or garden shears is also ok.

neither method is pretty, but that's what ya gotta deal with using the glue boards. glue boards are all kinds of effective: we use them all the time in our research facilities because of the unacceptable risk of using poisons. but we also have a tech who is assigned to go check all the trap locations 2x daily, because it would be considered inhumane to let them die in the traps - inspectors will write us up if they find stuff like that.

I can see PETA now. Running from the research facility carrying a bunch of glue traps with mice stuck to them :LOL:

Had a mouse (must have been a huge one too) move in once... traps didn't work so I wound up buying a couple boxes of poison. Opened one and dropped it in the closet where I suspected he hung out alot.

The dang thing ate the WHOLE box of poison. Actually chewed the box open farther to get at it all. I was surprised not to see him lying dead right there, or even sitting there with a note demanding more!

Perhaps I should have expected this, as some of the odds and ends that I found the thing had swiped then gnawed on and/or eaten included:

-A bottle of my fiancee's Pamprin. Finished off the bottle.
-A tube of Cortizone 10. At least half the tube.
-A roll of film.
-Several small candles (enough that I debated baiting traps with wax).

Haven't seen hide nor hair (or droppings) of the little bugger since, and since I haven't come across a reek I don't think Mr. Nibbles died in the house. But I still can't get past the VOLUME the sucker could pack away.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: At least Mr. Nibbles didn't have PMS after all that Pamprin! But you're right - they loooove wax! I have no idea why but mice and rats will eat candles like crazy.

Our house is bordered on two sides by a vivero (nursery) where palm trees are grown. The cats love to go under the fence (actually, Jerry has built them a little tunnel) and roam around in their own private jungle. One of them is a real hunter and brings these tiny little field mice home as gifts to us. Until we wised up and closed our bedroom door, he brought them into our bed in the middle of the night! One evening last summer, my visiting daughter and I were sitting on the living room couch and he bolts through the front window with a little furry creature in his mouth. I swear he tried to drop it down my daughter's pants...and of course, we could not find it. Later, we got up and realized one of us had sat on the poor little thing. Flat as a pancake. Oops.

now that is a funny story.

my kid when she was a teenager was raising guenia pigs( for profit, lol) a whole gang of babies got out in house, the dog got a couple and we caught some.

went into my bedroom and pulled out laundrey basket and one was backed up in the corner. i thought "oh poor little thing" and reached for it. it bit me where the thumb and fore finger join. in reflex , i through it off my hand into the wall. killed the little bugger. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

he deserved it for attacking me, when i was only trying to help it. lol

babe

:) Picture a cat strumming a guitar here is his song
Love them little mouse's
that's what I love to eat
I bite their little heads off
and nibble on their tiny feet:)

I was cleaning out the back room yesterday, trying to get some junk out of there to throw away today, which I'm doing now.

To my horror, I saw a large gaping hole in the right wall on the window sill!!! I immediatelty began to realise that that is where those pesky little rodents have been getting in, along with squirrells and whatever else have you!

Went downstairs and told the landlord about it, since he's having work done downstairs. Meanwhile, I had to do something to keep them out, so I had to nail a board to that wall
for some repitition against those pesky uninvited guests.

I hope that's the end of them. But I think they're still in the building inside the walls. The place needs to be exterminated.

I gotta get some more steel wool the first chance I get!!

Nothing more was happening with a new trap set under the kitchen counter, so a couple weeks ago I moved it downstairs and put it on a shelf where I caught a mouse about four years ago.

Note to self: Don't forget to check the trap if you move it somewhere else :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom