There's always one in the bunch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
People come in and ask for crazy things or make stupid statements from time to time but tonight was a classic.

A Chinese Gentleman came in with a note to get his order. The only problem was that he could not speak English and the note was written in Chinese :angel: The FOH girl was totally confused but he kept pointing to the note and then to his mouth so she gathered he wanted something to eat. She ended up taking a piece of fish out and he held up several fingers to tell her how many, so we gave him the three pieces of fish and enough chips to go with them and he went away quiet happy

LOL! I can relate!

I'm the manager of an Ace Hardware store in a VERY internationally ethnic suburb of Boston. Thankfully, patience, kindness, humor and love of CHARADES trancends language barriers, too!

Lee

I called my favorite Chinese takeout place and asked them if they could accept free lemons. I explained that our tree had an overbundance of them right now. I had many more than we could ever use.

I was assured that they had a large dining room and could seat many people. :ermm:

Once i called a new Chinese Buffet and asked if they did like other buffets.. If we come in at the lunch price and are there at the time they change for the dinner crowd, will we be allowed to stay. After talking to three people he said "you no eat the shrimp!" :ROFLMAO:
Marge

Last edited:
My story comes from the other end, so to speak. I was on an aricraft carrier that had stopped at the port of Pussan, Korea. Unlike most of my shipmates, I was never once to find the nearest bar and belly up. Instead, I was an explorer and adventurer of sorts. So I decided to see the sights. Well, the time came that I needed a nature call. So I went into the nearest public building, a store fo some sort, and looked for a bathroom. I didn't see one and my need was becoming urgent. I went to a sales counter and tried to ask where I might find a bathroom. The young ladies behind the counter spoke no English and I spoke no Korean. And I didn't want to pantomime the act in front of two young ladies. Finally, I made writing motions on the counter and one of the sales clerks understood that I wanted a piece of paper and a pencil. I then drew a stick figure relieving himself. The girls broke out into laughter and pointed me toward the nearest restroom. I'm sure my face was cherry red.:ROFLMAO: But as someone else said, where there's a will...

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, as a military brat, veteran, and wife I laugh at your discomfort! How funny! I love it! Yes, we've been through many similar experiences. My parents had four daughters. Can you imagine my poor dad trying to find bathroom facilities for all of us? Even here in the good ol' U.S., it was quite a challenge some times. I've wee'ed in many mens' rooms, with Daddy standing guard. We always had a station wagon, and he'd open all the doors on one side, drape them in blankets, and make a ladies' room when none was available.

Recently we were taking a tour through US GRant's mansion. There was a group of Japanese women, and when they showed the "Facilities" so to speak, they all giggled and asked their guide a question he couldn't answer. Hubby looked over and used the Korean word for toilet. Their eyes got big and they giggled even more. It was just a chamber pot, nothing really crude. But we all got a laugh out of it.

By the way, my own first toilet (an enamelled iron chamber pot) sits on the back of our real toilet, holding the spare roll. Every once in awhile someone asks about it, thinking it is a decorative antique touch. Nope.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom