Things I didn't do today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I didn't empty the dishwasher.
I didn't clean out the waterbath canner.
I didn't trim up garlic.
I didn't talk to another human being besides someone that could barely speak English (INGLISH) and was asking me about a potential job.
I didn't sweep or vacuum anything.
I didn't hear from my youngest (it has been 3 weeks now)

I didn't use any swear words.
I didn't have any tantrums (I never do.)
I didn't eat anything I wasn't planning on eating.
I didn't take a nap.
I didn't buy anything.
I didn't make any messes.
I didn't tell anyone off electronically (I never do, though that may change.)

It can be a good thing or a bad thing.

We have issues here, both when my son was here and now just me and 'you know who'. (How do I punctuate that correctly? When to use single or double quotes?)
It's called the blame game. I didn't do it, you didn't do it, no one did it, it must be that other person.

When 'you know who' gets home from work, this is how I handle it.
"We were broken into today, that banana that is gone, the last banana, is missing. They stole the last banana, yet they left my laptop, Thank God."

Another one was this. "I couldn't believe it. I woke up and someone had broken in, put the toilet bowl cleaner on the toilet tank and left the cabinet open under the sink, and then they didn't clean the toilet."

I get 90% more confessions this way.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ok, when I first started reading this I was depressed. I was thinking of all of the things I didn't do, but by the time I finished reading it I was smiling. So...

Things I did do today;

I did read several threads on DC.
I did reply to some of those posts.
I did several loads of laundry, even if the last load is still in the dryer waiting to be folded.
I did make up the beds in the guest bed rooms for my son and his family (they will be here tonight)
I did go to the store and get buttermilk so I can make Hubby a chocolate sheet cake for his b-day tomorrow.
I did water the new grass seed three times.
I need to go start my pizza crust!

I didnt hang the second load of laundry out
I didnt vacuum the living room floor
I didnt finish the dishes
I didnt have any temper tantrums (being bipolar, I tend towards those)
I didnt kill the idiot dogs (I am soooooooooo tempted!!!)

Things I did do today:
got all the trash out of the kitchen
did dishes earlier (just didnt finish the ones after supper)
made breakfast, lunch and supper for everyone
got everyone their meds, and everything medically done that was supposed to be done
took the dogs out
I started a new story idea, tho not sure where its going

We have issues here, both when my son was here and now just me and 'you know who'. (How do I punctuate that correctly? When to use single or double quotes?)
It's called the blame game. I didn't do it, you didn't do it, no one did it, it must be that other person.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Since you asked about the use of single vs. double quotation marks, it depends on which guidelines you are following. In North America, since that is not an aside or direct quote within a quote, editors would typically recommend you use double-quotes to set off words used as an example or scare words (common words used in a special way). In NA, single quotation marks are usually used for a quote within a quote--if that makes sense. Jane Smith said "I was shocked that Mary told me 'I had an abortion when I was 15' while we were at the ice cream truck." Blissful, in your sentence, you could also have used italics you know who or you could have used bold or underline to convey the same thing. But normally, in NA, one would use the double quotation marks to set that off (scare words--don't you love that!). He should be very, very afraid.:LOL:Who knew the hours I spent researching and studying physical markers (a/k/a punctuation outside of the field of linguistics) could come back to haunt me 30 years later. Funny the things you remember...

Last edited:
WHAT!:w00t2: A fifteen year old had an abortion at an ice cream truck!?
No--the indirect discourse Jane is reporting to s/one else is enclosed in the single quotes, but Jane is informing the person with whom she is sharing this information that she was told this while the two were at the ice cream truck. Out of context of the story, it probably does seem a bit odd. Maybe I could have found a better example....

Jane Smith said "I was shocked to hear Mary say 'my chickens aren't laying eggs now that it is winter' when we were at Martha's playing bridge."
Mary Doe asked "why was that?"
"My hens are still laying eggs. Don't know what is wrong with Mary's hens--hmmmph."

Well clearly Mary's chickens don't lay eggs during bridge games or 15 year olds have abortions at ice cream trucks, usually only one but both cannot be true at the same time.:LOL::LOL: Single quote denote some kind of time travel. Bridge games only happen on Fridays while ice cream trucks travel on Saturdays. This never happens when I'm in Africa, only in North America. I'm convinced once again that a bachelor of arts degree is more of an art than say a bachelor of science degree.

Actually, I get it. I'll try to use it.

While walking over a small bridge in the chicken yard with my friend, Olga, I said, "my chicken Helga rattled on last week that 'I'd rather have an abortion than lay more eggs on Saturdays, Saturdays are my day off. When I hear that ice cream truck, I still get the urge to lay.'"
To make it clear to you know who, that we had no eggs on Saturdays, I explained it to him and then we had no frittata on Saturday. He should be very afraid now.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom