Things people say that bug you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When people use the word "anti-social" when they really mean "asocial". Anti-social is when people actually perform acts against society, like gun rampages through malls and universities. Asocial just means they don't like to get out in big groups or associate with a lot of people.

When people use the word "anti-social" when they really mean "asocial". Anti-social is when people actually perform acts against society, like gun rampages through malls and universities. Asocial just means they don't like to get out in big groups or associate with a lot of people.
I did not know that. See this thread has had a positive influence after all.

I can't believe no one has mentioned their, there, they're or two and too. What about your and you're?

That's interesting, considering that Merriam-Webster lists "antisocial" as one of the definitions for "asocial":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/asocial

...I can't believe no one has mentioned their, there, they're or two and too. What about your and you're?
You left out "to." LOL I had a teacher in high school (one of my favorites) who gave an automatic F to anyone who used the wrong form of to, too, or two, their, there, or they're, or spelled "a lot" as one word. He only did that with his Advanced English classes.

One that a lot of people seem to have trouble with is "its" and "it's," since we are used to adding an apostrophe to most possessives. "It's" is a contraction for "it is." So if you were speaking about a dog in the following sentence, it would be written, "It's chasing its tail." If you're not sure when to use "it's," subsitute the words "it is," and if it doesn't work, leave the apostrophe out.

:)Barbara

i hate when people call 'pop' 'soda'.
Really? That's weird because I grew up in a 'pop' region of the country but now it sounds so foreign and strange when I hear it. Hmmm... so it's not really poor grammar. It's just a regional difference.

I agree with most I've heard here, so I might just add 'ditto'. I would like to add that many people do not know about adverbs. I don't know how many times, while watching TV, my girlfriend and I will look at each other and both say "lee". It's surprising to us how many people will just leave off the -ly.

Drive careful.

("lee") :dry:

Really? That's weird because I grew up in a 'pop' region of the country but now it sounds so foreign and strange when I hear it. Hmmm... so it's not really poor grammar. It's just a regional difference.

I agree with most I've heard here, so I might just add 'ditto'. I would like to add that many people do not know about adverbs. I don't know how many times, while watching TV, my girlfriend and I will look at each other and both say "lee". It's surprising to us how many people will just leave off the -ly.

Drive careful.

("lee") :dry:
Although it kind of turned into a grammar thread, the original question was things that people say that bother us, so it could be grammar or regional differences. :cool:

I agree with the adverb thing, even though I am sometimes guilty of that, but very rarely. For instance, sometime I will say, "Get well quick," where if I were writing it I would use it correctly.

Sometimes proper grammar can sound stuffy in ordinary conversations. For instance, it would be proper to say, "Everyone had his coat on," but most of us would say, "Everyone had their coats on." Ungrammatical, since it mixes singular and plural, but less stuffy sounding.

My grammar is terrible. :ermm:It's not that I don't try (like the double negative?)
I'm just not smart in that area of study.

My pet peeves are: when someone says 'puters', for computers.
When someone says 'you are both on the same page' when we really aren't in the same book or even the same library.

I tried to get a job as:
grammarpolice.jpg

but failed, ya know, I seen it coming. :-p

Although it kind of turned into a grammar thread, the original question was things that people say that bother us, so it could be grammar or regional differences. :cool:

I agree with the adverb thing, even though I am sometimes guilty of that, but very rarely. For instance, sometime I will say, "Get well quick," where if I were writing it I would use it correctly.

Sometimes proper grammar can sound stuffy in ordinary conversations. For instance, it would be proper to say, "Everyone had his coat on," but most of us would say, "Everyone had their coats on." Ungrammatical, since it mixes singular and plural, but less stuffy sounding.

Interesting. I would have thought the second phrase was correct because "their" encompasses both sexes. Or would you then need to say, "Everyone had his and her coats on"? Or, "his or her coat on?

I was taught to just use "his" for a mixed group, or if you didn't know. But I tend to use "his or her" in this PC world we live in! LOL

That's interesting, considering that Merriam-Webster lists "antisocial" as one of the definitions for "asocial":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/asocial

Ah, that's funny. Way to confuse me, Webster. Although, I guess you could be anti-social and asocial, or vice versa.

Some of the things here are examples of regional differences and the difference between "proper" English and "common" English. One thing I learned is that many of our grammar rules apply to the written word but are rarely enforced in the spoken word. That's one way we can tell a read speech from an "off the cuff" speech. We all misuse words everyday and it is just the way we do things. I didn't want to offend folks. I was just letting off steam since I am home alone today.

A lot of you are talking about grammer. Don't even get me going about that...

What I can't stand is something people say at work. I've never heard this before I started there. When you come in in the morning people say, "Hey Jen, you alright?" Huh?!? Uh.. ya, do I look not alright? And yes, this is not when a person looks like they are not aright, just a general greeting question... Oh well...

Some of the things here are examples of regional differences and the difference between "proper" English and "common" English. One thing I learned is that many of our grammar rules apply to the written word but are rarely enforced in the spoken word. That's one way we can tell a read speech from an "off the cuff" speech. We all misuse words everyday and it is just the way we do things. I didn't want to offend folks. I was just letting off steam since I am home alone today.

Well just know that this thread never would have started if you watched Good Morning America.
;)

My absolute pet peeve is when you are trying to have a conversation and someone cuts your sentence off and hijacks the conversation in another direction. If you don't want to hear what I have to say, don't ask! I won't be offended, I promise.

I understand most of the "modern" short cuts and I think a lot of them come from the limit to the number of characters that can be sent in a text message. IMO, they have a place and there are times when they should not be used.

The only "short word" that upsets me is congrats. Congratulations is recognition for achievement. If I pay a compliment, or receive one, I would prefer the whole magilla.

I am thankful to GB for saying enough to get me to try Firefox, I am not a good at spelling and I appreciate the spell checker. I miss it at work. Since I am "in the business". I feel that I have to use what my customers use so that I can better help them. I also hate Outlook. I try hard with my grammar and don't mind constructive criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom