Thinking of sun, sand & sea for your next vacation this winter ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Where are you located in California, Cheryl ?

It strikes me that wherever it is, you could likely fly direct to either Los Cabos, or Puerto Vallarta, very inexpensively - thereby cutting your cost of one of these vacations quite significantly.

It's been quite a few years since I lived in L.A. - but I seem to recall that we could fly to Cabo for about $200./person return, or less.

Thanks for expressing your view Andy - it's a fair comment - many people have no interest in Mexico for vacationing.

I'm curious though - may I ask what type of vacation you find appealing ?...

For 18 years, SO and I spent our winter vacations in Aruba. We started with one timeshare week then added a second. It was terrific while it lasted. We made a lot of friends while we were there. We have since sold our timeshare and now if we want a winter break we go to FL where we have relatives.

We don't take pricey vacations...we paid for college for two kids. :LOL:

All kidding aside, we're more the "choose your own adventure" kind of travelers. I like to plan, I like to have a selection of possible options along the route, and we live to be surprised if something comes along that we didn't know was there. Almost all of our vacations/travels have been via auto. I bet a pilot wouldn't divert his flight if I commented "hey, that looks interesting - can we stop?", but Himself is always ready to go off-route. We usually build in an extra day for travel on the "out" side of vacation, just in case we want to explore. The "back" can take even longer, as long as we don't have any commitments - you know, doctor appointments. :LOL: My FIL gave us his Fort Myers Beach timeshare week in 2001, when he became too old (81) to travel. We would swap it for somewhere different each year when Himself was working, in case he would get called back to work to assist a client. Once that ship sailed, we do go to FMB each year for a week in lieu of retiring to FL. I've been (very slowly) working at getting us moved back to OH, which is home, so that we're closer to a lot of things we'd like to see. We've never bothered getting passports; we're still working our way through so many wonderful places to see in our own country. So far, 34 states down.

As long as you enjoy these vacations, carry on. ;) As long as we can manage driving ourselves around and exploring, I think we'll stick with our plan. BTW, you mentioned that you prefer these vacations "as you've aged". If you don't mind my asking, at what age did you feel these were best for you? Asking for a friend...:cool:

Last edited:
Wondering if you two are travel agents, RMM and BBQ...?

Nope, not a travel agent. I work as a software developer.

We started with one timeshare week then added a second. It was terrific while it lasted.

It seems that you found a lot of value doing the timeshare route. Did you go to the same place every year or did you trade it for a different place? Was this cost effective?

...It seems that you found a lot of value doing the timeshare route. Did you go to the same place every year or did you trade it for a different place? Was this cost effective?

Timeshare seemed attractive to us. Our apartment had a fully equipped kitchen so we could pick up some groceries and eat breakfasts and lunches there. We'd generally go out for dinner. Our resort was more laid back and quiet, which we liked.

There is some debate on whether timeshares are cost effective. It's one way to go. We really liked Aruba and our spot there so we went back every year rather than trading. We had super prime weeks in a top resort area so could have traded for anywhere else if we chose.

We sold one of our weeks for more than we paid and the other for a little less. So I guess we did OK.

We don't take pricey vacations...we paid for college for two kids. :LOL:

All kidding aside, we're more the "choose your own adventure" kind of travelers. I like to plan, I like to have a selection of possible options along the route, and we live to be surprised if something comes along that we didn't know was there. Almost all of our vacations/travels have been via auto. I bet a pilot wouldn't divert his flight if I commented "hey, that looks interesting - can we stop?", but Himself is always ready to go off-route. We usually build in an extra day for travel on the "out" side of vacation, just in case we want to explore. The "back" can take even longer, as long as we don't have any commitments - you know, doctor appointments. :LOL: My FIL gave us his Fort Myers Beach timeshare week in 2001, when he became too old (81) to travel. We would swap it for somewhere different each year when Himself was working, in case he would get called back to work to assist a client. Once that ship sailed, we do go to FMB each year for a week in lieu of retiring to FL. I've been (very slowly) working at getting us moved back to OH, which is home, so that we're closer to a lot of things we'd like to see. We've never bothered getting passports; we're still working our way through so many wonderful places to see in our own country. So far, 34 states down.

As long as you enjoy these vacations, carry on. ;) As long as we can manage driving ourselves around and exploring, I think we'll stick with our plan. BTW, you mentioned that you prefer these vacations "as you've aged". If you don't mind my asking, at what age did you feel these were best for you? Asking for a friend...:cool:

I retired early - at age 59. I'm sure it's quite different for many people, but it was probably around my mid-60's when I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in both hips - so as you can imagine, lots of walking caused quite a bit of pain as time went on.
I've had surgery to replace one hip since then, and the second is scheduled for sometime mid next year- date to be set later this year.
Meantime, this resulted in changes to our vacationing desires - to try & avoid a lot of walking (so walking tours were out) - e.g. venues where we could fly direct non-stop - and all-in-one resorts became our go to vacations since they didn't involve a lot of walking here and there to see stuff, which we're no longer inclined to do as the body ceases to function as well it used to. LOL

For 18 years, SO and I spent our winter vacations in Aruba. We started with one timeshare week then added a second. It was terrific while it lasted. We made a lot of friends while we were there. We have since sold our timeshare and now if we want a winter break we go to FL where we have relatives.

I can certainly appreciate why you liked Aruba so much, Andy.

One of our best Caribbean vacations we had was renting a villa with friends for 2 weeks in neighboring Bonaire ( the ABC islands including Curacao)- a super island that I believe is still considered the 2nd or 3rd best scuba diving spot in the world, after The Great Barrier Reef of Australia, and then the Turks & Caicos Islands.(the latter a toss-up with Bonaire for 2nd place)

The people, the food, the architecture, and the laid-back lifestyle of the ABC islands are second to none, imo.

Where are you located in California, Cheryl ?

It strikes me that wherever it is, you could likely fly direct to either Los Cabos, or Puerto Vallarta, very inexpensively - thereby cutting your cost of one of these vacations quite significantly.

It's been quite a few years since I lived in L.A. - but I seem to recall that we could fly to Cabo for about $200./person return, or less.

SoCal desert. Thanks for the info Paul, but for many reasons that trip just wouldn't work for me... :ermm::LOL:

If any of you decides one of these resorts might be the vacation spot for you & books it - please eventually let us know how it went for you. We'd be most interested.

When we get back from Villa Premiere in P.V. in November, we'll do a follow-up review to give you the lowdown on our stay there & whether it's a keeper or not.

Only about 50 sleeps till we leave on vacation to Villa Premiere in P.V.
Can't wait !
I hope that resort is all you hope it to be, RMM.

We have 71 nights before we check in to our timeshare on Fort Myers Beach. I'm really not a "Florida person" (Himself wanted to retire to FL. I told him to marry someone else since I didn't. He picked me. :wub: ). However, I'm actually looking forward to getting to FL this year! (And looking forward to seeing tinlizzie again. :w00t: ) We skipped last year since the small place (22 units) was undergoing a large renovation. FL during Labor Day week is not my idea of fun.
hand-fan.gif

I have been looking for vrbn rentals in Texas (Nov 1 - Mar 31) that allow pets, are handicap equipped, have a fenced yard, and a pool. Now I just have to convince Dad we could do this. Okay, we'd be hauling a trailer and dealing with Mom's issues, but I really don't want to deal with another MN winter--the snow, the cold...ugh...so far, I am focussing on Austin and San Antonio.

Last edited:
Over the years, my wife and I have undertaken a lot of different types of vacationing - from month long car tours of European countries - (loved France & Italy for this )- to visits to a number of Asian hot spots like Bali, Singapore & Hong Kong - to renting oceanfront villas cost-shared with friends in several Caribbean islands - some more than once - to building and enjoying our own an oceanfront villa in Provo, in the Turks & Caicos, as a shared investment, rented out for 5 years, before selling when it got to be a lot of work.

But of course as we've aged, we've moved on to easier vacationing approaches, to be closer to home, have less 'getting there' hassles, and of course at less cost - and found that all-inclusive mexican resorts in excellent climate & weather have fit the bill recently.

RMM, thanks for your most interesting reviews of the Mexican resorts. You should have a wonderful time on your next trip south. Places like that were my choice too in my previous life with my late husband. We stayed at several, both in Mexico and Jamaica and although we enjoyed them, they are part of my past. Western Mexico has no magic for me anymore. I much prefer Hawaii.
When I met and then married Steve the "Souschef" known here, my travel experiences expanded beyond my wildest dreams. You may be interested in reading some or all of our extraordinary adventures.
Travels Around the World With Steve & Kathy

Last edited:
RMM, thanks for your most interesting reviews of the Mexican resorts. You should have a wonderful time on your next trip south. Places like that were my choice too in my previous life with my late husband. We stayed at several, both in Mexico and Jamaica and although we enjoyed them, they are part of my past. Western Mexico has no magic for me anymore. I much prefer Hawaii.
When I met and then married Steve the "Souschef" known here, my travel experiences expanded beyond my wildest dreams. You may be interested in reading some or all of our extraordinary adventures.
Travels Around the World With Steve & Kathy

Thanks for your kind words, Kay.

I'll definitely have a peek through your travels....

Wow - truly enjoyed reading through your travels, Kathy & Steve - many thank for posting.

My wife Linda of near 30 years and I, (2nd marriage following my first wife's passing from cancer at a much too early age), have also undertaken a significant amount of travel, which you've likely already gathered from my various comments, but I'm quite certain we still fall short of the numerous travels you've enjoyed !

Having lived in 18 different cities at various times, some for only a year or two, including stints in Singapore, Hong Kong, Paris, London,
Los Angeles, New York, Grenada Isle, and Provo in the Turks & Caicaos, among many others throughout Canada, have certainly broadened our scope for a great deal of travel accumulation.

Last edited:
We go on one big trip every year.

Australia, Bora Bora, Morocco and this year Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Bali and Dubai. Taking an Orient Express-type train from Bangkok to Singapore.

We go on one big trip every year.

Australia, Bora Bora, Morocco and this year Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Bali and Dubai. Taking an Orient Express-type train from Bangkok to Singapore.

I lived in Singapore for a few years -visited all those countries several times and loved it.

If this is your first visit to that part of the world, you'll have a great time- especially the train ride from Bangkok to Singapore. And I know you'll find Bali extremely interesting.
Malaysia may seem a bit quiet compared to the other countries, but it can surprise you with it's beautiful architecture, among other things.

Don't be shy about trying all those countries' best/favored food dishes - unbelievable flavors in many of them !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom