This Is Where I'm From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
while bridges are involved. . . Woodrow Wilson from VA to MD. My corp office is 5min from where I shot this.

14263415155_50686b2385_b.jpg

while bridges are involved. . . Woodrow Wilson from VA to MD. My corp office is 5min from where I shot this.

14263415155_50686b2385_b.jpg

While the bridge is nice to look at the traffic on it during rush hour is a nightmare. :mad:

I have to say that the new one is better then the old one. ;)

Addie, you need to go back again and drive the H-3 towards Kaneohe,
OH MY GOSH!
I wish I had better photos of that view as you come out of that tunnel, but the City&CountyofHonolulu have decided that it's not safe for everyone to be pulling over and taking pictures going at that rate of speed, you'd think that the Corp of Engineers would have thought to build a pull out, BUT NO!
We watched it being built from our back deck, DH got to be a part of that, thrilling really, and very dangerous up there and talk about driving through the clouds, WOW!!!
Next time we go home I'll be sure to talk DH into stopping for a photo-opt
:rolleyes:

That pass is terrifying for the uninitiated. The bus driver needs to warn the tourist passengers. :angel:

The scariest bridge I have ever driven over, until I got used to it:

98670622EB6CEA533C4401D8D6CBA.jpg

The Coronado Bay Bridge in San Diego. You will notice it has no guard rails, just Jersey barriers.

That pass is terrifying for the uninitiated. The bus driver needs to warn the tourist passengers. :angel:

OOh!
You were on TheBus (really, that's what the City Bus is called :LOL:)
and went over to the Windward side or were you going around the island #55? Not a bad deal for what, $2.50 now
(it was $1.25/one way or $45/month when we left 7 years ago, that sure beat downtown parking)
... just don't ask the driver questions, they get upset about that, I heard a driver once say to a tourist, "lady, this ain't no tour bus" (add pidgin accent here).
I rode TheBus everyday to and from work, it was so beautiful watching the sunrise in the morning.

Sometimes, when it rained REALLY bad, there'd be a goodly sized waterfall coming down the cliff of the mountain, right into the road ... and the driver just kept on going like it was not at all unusual!! Finally, I guess someone called 911 and they close the highway :huh::ermm::wacko::LOL:

The scariest bridge I have ever driven over, until I got used to it:

98670622EB6CEA533C4401D8D6CBA.jpg

The Coronado Bay Bridge in San Diego. You will notice it has no guard rails, just Jersey barriers.

That's a beautiful drive, when there's no Marine Layer. Dear Niece lives in San Diego, we love it there we go to Carlsbad for a beach fix every so often.

OOh!
You were on TheBus (really, that's what the City Bus is called :LOL:)
and went over to the Windward side or were you going around the island #55? Not a bad deal for what, $2.50 now
(it was $1.25/one way or $45/month when we left 7 years ago, that sure beat downtown parking)
... just don't ask the driver questions, they get upset about that, I heard a driver once say to a tourist, "lady, this ain't no tour bus" (add pidgin accent here).
I rode TheBus everyday to and from work, it was so beautiful watching the sunrise in the morning.

Sometimes, when it rained REALLY bad, there'd be a goodly sized waterfall coming down the cliff of the mountain, right into the road ... and the driver just kept on going like it was not at all unusual!! Finally, I guess someone called 911 and they close the highway :huh::ermm::wacko::LOL:

I was there in the late 70's. I always went to the Kaneohe side. (I never did get it straight. windward, leeward) I love the scenery on that side. You really get to see the real side with the real folks when you take the same transportation that the residents do. I have never been one to do the touristy thing. Poo would bring home announcements from the Lincoln School about other activities going on in other schools throughout the island. A lot of times I would attend. Otherwise I would never gotten to hear the Kamehameha Choir doing their Christmas Special. Or attended the services at the Hawaiian Church where all the services were totally in Hawaiian. I didn't understand a word that was said, but I loved the sound of the language and the music. I think my favorite though was the Honolulu Boy Choir. I very rarely missed a performance of theirs. :angel:

WOW! Good for you Addie, most folks come over from the mainland without that attitude and miss out on what all Hawaii, or any place for that matter, has to offer. .... and Poo is who? a grandson/daughter? how long were you on Oahu?
As a single young women, I lived not far from the Punchbowl area for a brief time. But the Windward side of the island always calls be back :sigh:

WOW! Good for you Addie, most folks come over from the mainland without that attitude and miss out on what all Hawaii, or any place for that matter, has to offer. .... and Poo is who? a grandson/daughter? how long were you on Oahu?
As a single young women, I lived not far from the Punchbowl area for a brief time. But the Windward side of the island always calls be back :sigh:

Poo is my youngest son. He is a Physician Assistant and works in Vermont in the ER of the hospital there. I was there for one year. Long enough for Poo to get started in the first grade. I loved his school. In the morning the janitor would remove the outer walls in each classroom. The breezes would blow through. No need for AC there. When I went shopping for his clothes for school, I was in heaven. Shorts, tank tops and flip flops. Typical Hawaiian garb.

On the Windward (?) side there is a little chapel. Only one back wall and open to the public. Simple benches to sit on. I used to go there to attend traditional Hawaiian weddings. One bride and groom even invited me to their reception. A true luau in all the Hawaiian tradition. I had a ball.

Come December, Poo showed up back at home around 10 a.m. I couldn't believe the reason they sent all the kids home. Surf is up! Sounded like a good reason to me. I had to explain to Poo what that meant. So I took him up to the North Shore so he could see what it was all about.

My sister came over for a visit and stayed two months. I lived in the apartment building right across from the Punaho School. I even went out one night to see those flowers that bloom only at night.

I used to go to the Ala Moana beach while Poo was in school. I transcribed medical notes for a doctor that worked in the morgue in the Children's Hospital down the street from me. :angel:

Poo is my youngest son. He is a Physician Assistant and works in Vermont in the ER of the hospital there. I was there for one year. ... snipped ... :angel:

So, not to sound like I'm being nosy or anything, but, you and your son were in Honolulu for 1 year why?

... and a church on the Windward side, I just can't think of a church like that Addie. But there are many that 'don't have all of their walls' it's a tropical thing forsure, to have folding doors to open completely and let the breezes flow through, A/C, electric in general is SO expensive there, well along with everything else for that matter.

I'm so glad that enjoyed your time there... does your son remember any of it? Pity if he doesn't, he should take you back!

How beautiful!
Charlie, you must miss home.

It is hard to explain, but I miss friends, places where I had good times. Most of that is gone. The city has mostly been rebuild. A lot of friends are gone. It is not what it used to be. For sure I do not miss or like what is going on there right now. But oh, how beautiful it was ...

So, not to sound like I'm being nosy or anything, but, you and your son were in Honolulu for 1 year why?

... and a church on the Windward side, I just can't think of a church like that Addie. But there are many that 'don't have all of their walls' it's a tropical thing forsure, to have folding doors to open completely and let the breezes flow through, A/C, electric in general is SO expensive there, well along with everything else for that matter.

I'm so glad that enjoyed your time there... does your son remember any of it? Pity if he doesn't, he should take you back!

My husband wanted to see what the commercial fishing was like there. And I wanted to come back to New England. I gave him one year and then I headed back home.

Like I said, I never got windward and leeward straight. If I was standing and facing toward the big island. Would that be windward?

Yeah, my son remembers a lot of it. He loved the school he was in. They tested him when he first started, and put him in an advanced science class. He came home so excited. :angel:

Last edited:
Oh, dear, Kaneohe, you make me so homesick sometimes.

I'm actually from nowhere and everywhere. Daddy was in the Air Force, then I enlisted, then I married a soldier. For the first 40 years of my life I never lived anywhere more than 6 years in a row (Hawaii was 3 yers there, 3 in Virginia, then 3 more years there). I went to 8 schools before I graduated from high school. I really miss the lifestyle. I liked it even as a kid, which is unusual.

Oh, dear; I thought I'd die laughing at that film clip! It isn't that hard, but most of the non-Hawaiian people had a hard time of it. Some of them just could not bring themselves to pronounce two sequential vowels separately (the "stop" they were talking about)(hence the Marines calling Kaneohe "K-Bay"). I enjoyed figuring them out, and normally when I asked, I was right. I could never figure out when to pronounce a W as the W sound we know, or as a V. When the missionaries wrote the written language, why in the heck didn't they put in a V?

Wikipedia, by the way, comes from the Hawaiian word for quick, as in wiki-wiki. W sounding like W. Then there's Halawa. V. Throws me every time.

Kgirl, you speak Hawaiian! Neato

yes taxi, yes I do... I went to a school for children of Hawaiian decent and it was mandatory to learn the language, culture, etc.
The school is funded by the largest/richest trust in the entire world, started by the last Hawaiian Monarch and her husband. I am eternally grateful everyday of my life to have been privileged to have had that opportunity, the trust pays for half of each child's education, not to mention that the trust offers many scholarships for higher education.
But, I do go on ...

Back
Top Bottom