This law makes no sense to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not agree that it can be a distraction. At the same time though I remember driving before cell phones and I can recall many times that the above happened. Even though we see someone driving like an idiot while on the phone it does not mean it is the phones fault. That person just may always drive like an idiot.
That's something we can all agree on - there are too many people on the road that drive like idiots!!!!

You're right, there will always be idiots on the road but Statistics have shown that there are more idiots on the road because the phones are indeed a distration (whether they are hand held or hands free).

I've read this whole thread and I'm fascinated at how technology "grabs" us. Cell phones have become a "must have" now. Makes me wonder how in the world we ever got along without them.:huh:

Buck and I got a cell phone a couple of years ago because either of us would have to drive some distance alone and used it as a safety device and not for chit-chat with anyone. Now that Buck is gone, I have my cell phone with me but don't turn it on.

Somehow we got along without all our so-called important phone conversations before cell phones came along. A simple solution is to turn off our phones when we're driving. Unless our occupation is one that requires a 24/7 presence or there is a dire family situation, our phones are merely an accessory.

You're right, there will always be idiots on the road but Statistics have shown that there are more idiots on the road because the phones are indeed a distration (whether they are hand held or hands free).
I have no doubt that this is accurate.

There are too many people on the road period.

Thats why I live in the sticks, the only time we have a lot of people on the road is Tourist Season.. BTW, why do they call it a season if you can't hunt them? :D

"Is there a difference between gabbing on your cell when you drive and talking to the person sitting next to you?

According to a report in the December issue of the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, published by the American Psychological Association, there is.

Researchers found that drivers make more mistakes when talking on a cell phone than when talking to passengers. This finding addresses the common question about whether driver distraction comes from cell-phone specifically or conversation generally.

Even when drivers used a hands-free cell phone, performance was significantly compromised.

"Cell phone and passenger conversation differ in their impact on a driver's performance; these differences are apparent at the operational, tactical, and strategic levels of performance," the researchers wrote."

Last edited:
Makes me wonder how in the world we ever got along without them.:huh:
Somehow we got along without all our so-called important phone conversations before cell phones came along.
Oh, we got along just fine.
We made and received important phone calls all the time before cell phones. There were phone booths and pay phones at every street corner.

The only difference today is that 99.9% of all cell phone conversations and instant messenging are useless chit chat.

The only difference today is that 99.9% of all cell phone conversations and instant messenging are useless chit chat.
I disagree. Obviously that percentage is just made up, but it it the spirit of it that I do not agree with. Yes there is TONS of useless chit chat going on, but there is also TONS of useful conversations going on. Business used to be 9-5. That is no longer true. People conduct business, and a lot of it on cell phones, constantly. That is just one piece of it. What about kids calling their parents to let them know where they are or parents talking to each other on cell phones on their commute home to arrange dinner or picking up kids or what have you. I do not disagree that talking on a cell phone while driving is not the safest thing in the world to do, but I do not agree that the large majority is necessarily just useless chit chat. Yes there is a good chunk of that I am sure, but there is also a good chunk of useful conversation happening as well.

I should add then when someone calls me at home and I see it's their cell number, I usually ask where they are. If they are calling while driving, I excuse myself and ask them to call me again when they're free. I would never forgive myself if they were in an accident while conversing with me on their cell phone.

I've read this whole thread and I'm fascinated at how technology "grabs" us. Cell phones have become a "must have" now. Makes me wonder how in the world we ever got along without them.:huh:

Buck and I got a cell phone a couple of years ago because either of us would have to drive some distance alone and used it as a safety device and not for chit-chat with anyone. Now that Buck is gone, I have my cell phone with me but don't turn it on.

Somehow we got along without all our so-called important phone conversations before cell phones came along. A simple solution is to turn off our phones when we're driving. Unless our occupation is one that requires a 24/7 presence or there is a dire family situation, our phones are merely an accessory.

...and not worth endangering another persons life or property.

I disagree. Obviously that percentage is just made up, but it it the spirit of it that I do not agree with. Yes there is TONS of useless chit chat going on, but there is also TONS of useful conversations going on. Business used to be 9-5. That is no longer true. People conduct business, and a lot of it on cell phones, constantly. That is just one piece of it. What about kids calling their parents to let them know where they are or parents talking to each other on cell phones on their commute home to arrange dinner or picking up kids or what have you. I do not disagree that talking on a cell phone while driving is not the safest thing in the world to do, but I do not agree that the large majority is necessarily just useless chit chat. Yes there is a good chunk of that I am sure, but there is also a good chunk of useful conversation happening as well.

I agree with the points you've made. Wireless communication has helped increase work convenience and production for many, and not to mention, the quality of life in general for many as well.

But on the other hand, I am also part of the 'useless chit chat' cell phone users. When I'm bored I often call my wife, daughters, and other family members and talk about......nothing.

A simple solution is to turn off our phones when we're driving. Unless our occupation is one that requires a 24/7 presence or there is a dire family situation, our phones are merely an accessory.
Such and excellent point! I got my mom a cell phone on my plan because she never uses it for chatting, but I want her to have one with her for emergencies. It's been a real lifesaver a couple of times but for the most part, she doesn't make calls on it.

My daughter, on the other hand, is an executive who travels extensively and has a very high-pressure job. During work hours, her phone rings constantly with work related issues. It also rings constantly after hours with work related issues! She doesn't ever have personal calls because she's too busy fielding work calls. We are constantly reminding her that there is also an off button on the phone! Life's too short.:)

I agree that the law to ban cell phone use, even hands free cell phone use, will be diffiult at best to enforce. Most people who use Bluetooth have long hair so it can't be seen. Those who have the BT stuck in their right ear will also be hidden from view from the driver's window. A cop would have to stop you for a reason before you can be cited for using a headset (BT or not) and with one tap on your ear you are disconnected. Just because you're wearing BT doesn't mean you were talking while driving. Just a note here, because I'm involved in several things, I get many calls on my cell phone. One of the reasons is that I have my calls forwarded from my land line to my cell when I leave the house. I DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCTUMSTANCES carry on a "chit-chat" conversation when I 'm driving. State your business and get off the phone. I always tell the chatter I will call them back. I have two kids who are on the road and two grandkids, one of which is a new driver. I am NOT going to turn off my cell phone. That's why I HAVE one in the first place. And for the record I DO NOT TEXT anyone. Ever!

Now let me post another point. I was just at the supermarket and while waiting for a light to change I noticed the guy next to me (he was alone) obviously listening to the radio and "bopping" his head and hands and singing. When you listen to talk radio in the car or sing along with a music station are you not doing the very thing that could distract you? HOw many people do you know never talk to passengers, never listen to music and/or sing along, and never listen to talk radio? I couldn't come up with one if I had to.

Chit chatting while driving is just plain stupid and text messaging is not only stupid it is criminal in my opinion and should result in having their license revoked. I don't want some idiot putting me or my family in jeopardy for the sake of asking, "hey watcha doin.?"
Geez.

[/B]

A simple solution is to turn off our phones when we're driving. Unless our occupation is one that requires a 24/7 presence or there is a dire family situation, our phones are merely an accessory.

Exactly. This is no different that turning off your cell phone while attending church service, at the library, at the theatre, or at the dinner table.

Now let me post another point. I was just at the supermarket and while waiting for a light to change I noticed the guy next to me (he was alone) obviously listening to the radio and "bopping" his head and hands and singing. When you listen to talk radio in the car or sing along with a music station are you not doing the very thing that could distract you? HOw many people do you know never talk to passengers, never listen to music and/or sing along, and never listen to talk radio? I couldn't come up with one if I had to.[/b]

Did you read what I posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom