Throwing food away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live for leftovers. I don't throw anything away unless I think it will kill me or I really blow the recipe.

I generally end up eating it though because for some reason I've raised a daughter that won't eat any left overs. She's weird.

In my house we never really through food away. When we make the dinner plan on the weekend my mom and I go through the fridge -sometimes we don't have to, she's really good at keeping track of what is in the fridge- and if we have lots of leftovers, we designate one day as "leftover day". My sister and I don't normally because we go to school, but my parents eat leftovers for lunch all the time.

I on purpose will make a pot of gumbo ahead of time and serve it a day later esp. if we're having friends by (and noone ever turns down gumbo) because the flavor is unbelievable as compared to the first day. And of course stews, soups, and chilis are the same way though they usually get served the same day and then we enjoy the leftovers. Fried foods (though we eat very little of those) are a bit trickier. As with leftover pizza I preheat my oven to hot (375-400) along with a pizza stone on the bottom rack and then place leftover fried chicken, pizza, etc.. and it really crisps them up quickly. Microwaving just makes them mushy. Leftover fries go into the bin, however. No resurrection there in my books.

Only food that gets chucked here is stuff that works out how to open the fridge door and escape! But I try to get to it before that. Even experiments that failed will get smothered in a sauce or something and eaten! Lots of leftovers make brekky for me. If I am going to freeze any of the leftovers it happens the night they are made.

When I was growing up, mum would empty the fridge of any leftovers that my dad or brother hadn't already got to, and serve them up as a Saturday lunch maybe with some freshly roasted potatoes or a sunshine salad. She had these little metal dishes, that I remember fondly and to this day associate with leftover spaghetti and leftover shepherd's pie! YUM!!!!

I myself do not care for leftovers, I'll eat certian ones though. I usually try to make enough for the meal with maybe 1 leftover meal. Husband is the one who cleans up leftovers. I don't buy many fruits any more, I always end up throwing them out with the excuse from everyone that they forgot they were in there.
All in all I guess in my house there is a lot of waste, but I am trying to change that.

I have wasting issues, I have many upside-down condiment bottles in the fridge that I will make sure I use the last tablespoon of.
We eat leftovers, lots of times my 8 yr old will come home from school and ask for leftovers for a snack because he doesn't want wait the hour and a half til dinner..... he doesn't get them.
We have clean out the fridge leftover dinner about twice a week.
I even save the going stale bagels I bring home work. I freeze them, then slice them into a base for little pizzas. I figure I'm pretty cheap refusing to throw away free food!

i have the same issues, squzie.

i'm the king of leftovers because of it. my wife will eat leftovers once in a while, but only the day after and only if it's something she really loves. 2 days and it's mine. :pig:

i'm even loathe to toss out my really bad creations, hoping that time will somehow improve the flavor, lol.

We go on a 4x4 weekend camping trip about once a month with friends and I always hang a shopping bag in a tree called "Jakkie se sakkie" - translated - Jake's bag. Everyone knows that they must put all their leftover/half eaten meat in the bag and not throw it away(we put it in our little fridge) and the dogs have a feast when we get home - I'm always amazed at how much there is. We eat our leftovers the next day if there's any - our friends think we're weird :)

sometimes i cook a dish a day in advance to give it the right taste (roast meats, brasato, borlotti's soup...) they really need a day of rest to give all the flavour!
but in general i don't love leftovers (wow i didn't know that word, i've learnt something new!) then i cook the right quantity for the meal.
if there's still something i try to eat at least the day after except from pasta.
can't face a rewarmt plate of pasta, no matter the kind (ok, it's not true, lasagne are ok:pig:) but i know exactly how much pasta i can cook so it never happens.

sometimes i cook a dish a day in advance to give it the right taste (roast meats, brasato, borlotti's soup...) they really need a day of rest to give all the flavour!
but in general i don't love leftovers (wow i didn't know that word, i've learnt something new!) then i cook the right quantity for the meal.
if there's still something i try to eat at least the day after except from pasta.
can't face a rewarmt plate of pasta, no matter the kind (ok, it's not true, lasagne are ok:pig:) but i know exactly how much pasta i can cook so it never happens.
I could eat leftover lasagna all week :LOL:

:) We are totally into our leftovers especially butter beans ,chicken noodle soup from scratch etc. As far as spaghetti,chili sauces etc I freeze to save time fot the next meal. Our neighbor cooks to much for her and DH and she used to toss it now she gives us her left overs and we love them as she is a great cook.

I try to utlize all leftovers in one form or another... only on occasion leftovers go untouched and are discarded after a week. Left over steak (any cut of meat) always goes nice on top of a green salad. Then if I am making a stew or soup, left over meats, beans, veggies can go in there with no issues.

I make a tortilla soup using left over cornbread, beans, and chicken and even noted it in my recipe.

We make pretty good use of our leftovers... more so than what we did years ago!

Back
Top Bottom