Tis The Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
To check your credit card, online banking statements closely!

My husband noticed last night that someone had used our ATM cards in 2 different states. NJ, and Kansas. Transactions were made one day apart.
The charges were minimal (stupid criminals anyways) Really now if they swipe a card shop for a new car!don't shop at Bed bath and beyond, and Payless.

Were not exactly sure how they did it.Statement and the bank says they had to have the actual cards to swipe through the machine.

I'm thankful it was caught as soon as it was. But irked that we had to cancel the accounts, have to get temp ATM cards issued. And go back to several stores to make sure they get their money. Any transaction that we made in the last week has been canceled by the bank.

Munky.

Chef,
I had a similar experince about 3 months ago. I would not have known it if my bank had not called me about several odd transactions (odd for me at least).

I've been taking the same vacation, at the same time of year, to the same place and making the same charges every year for ten years. Every year I come home to a message on my phone from VISA telling me they are concerned about some suspicious charges on my card.

Our bank never called us. My husband called them. Maybe we should be shopping ourselves for a new bank. :)

Munky.

Our bank never called us. My husband called them. Maybe we should be shopping ourselves for a new bank. :)

Munky.

I don't think it's the bank. I believe it's VISA that makes the call. It also might have to do with the type of card you have.

Update

Apparently others have also reported fraud. Same town, just a different state.

Here's part of the morning news article. Names and town for obvious reasons won't be mentioned.

Another credit card scam hits the Central Coast and you could be the next target. The victims have been people from Police say around 25 victims have reported fraud. The transactions are being made in Arizona. Right now police are investigating if there is a local connection or if this is more of an organized criminal activity. Police say the odd part about the transactions is that the suspects are making everyday purchases.
"A lot of criminal organizations do use these type of debit cards. They'll steal them to pay their carriers. Whether this is going on here, we haven't been able to figure it out, but that has been in the past in the Arizona area,"

Police say there are several things you can do to prevent yourself from being a victim. Be suspicious if you hand your card to someone and they swipe the card twice or in different location. Also be sure to always check your statements and shred personal information.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's our one and only grocery store. That's the only place I use my card. It's not to my knowledge been swiped through the machine twice. Not ruling that out either.

It's a shame that noone knows how it's being done. What's a "carrier?"

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom