To KD or Not to KD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kraft Dinner - Yay or Nay

• Total voters

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Had a little giggle recently on the convenience food thread. Just wondering how many of us still eat Kraft Dinner (Macaroni and Cheese) or other highly processed things from time to time. And wondering how many of us will admit to it! LOL!

I bought it once to give it a try. I just did not like it at all.

It's not about its being a convenience food (see other thread), just didn't like the taste.

I grew up on the stuff. Now it makes me gag. I can't even get past the smell.

We also grew up on spaghetti-O's and canned ravioli. I guess kids will eat anything!

Are we talking about the classic blue box "It's the Cheesiest" macaroni and cheese?

yup, still eat it, still like it quite a bit. Like to add dried garlic and onion and some
chicken bullion to the water, but otherwise, bring it on.

Now, if you were asking about Hamburger Helper... uh, no. THey just don't taste
as good as the used to taste....

My grand kids love it. So around here you never know what the day will bring.I somethimes eat with them. It's all in ones taste.I do add butter to it and extra cheese.
kadesma

i keep a box in my pantry. i like thier thick/creamy kind.
like 15 yrs. ago i loved that after school, usually after several cheese singles, pepper, creamcheese, sour cream or additional milk or cream were blended in, garlic-powder, Frank's, mustard, worcestershire.
thier microwave kind was ucky, starchy & watery.
my stash usually expires, more due to me baking my own or baking a stouffer's.
that's probably like 1 of 2 foods i prefer margarine in. my brother, too. we're anti-margarine.
oops, another add-on, i used to take the cheese packets from other boxes of macaroni 'n cheese & double the amount of cheese power then return the open box sans the cheese to the cupboard & reduce the milk amount. THEN my Dad noticed.......
that's like a quintessential kiddo food.

I sort of figured there would be a few of us KD lovers out there. No matter how much fun it is to make really wonderful food, there are some comfort foods that I really love. KD is one of them. I don't dress it up at all. Although my daughter's friend says I make the best KD ever. LOL. Must be my expert stirring. :LOL:

It was one of my favorite junk food treats, but I don't eat dairy anymore. One of the great side effects of being vegan is that there are very few highly processed food choices to lead you astray.

Until I asked about people's favorite shortcuts and convenience foods, I'd never heard of KD. Ironically, of course, I grew up on Kraft macaroni and cheese. After not eating it for ages, I bought it and found, that like many childhood favorites ... well, didn't live up to what I loved as a kid. It seemed chalky and salty, and didn't taste in the least like cheese. And I loved it as a kid. I do have to say, though, that I haven't tried it in easily a decade or more.

At the risk of creating a cross border war I think I should mention that some things that we get on both sides of the border are SIGNIFICANTLY different here. Most notably both Cheez Whiz and Kraft Dinner. My sister lived in NJ for several years and would have us ship her Cheez Whiz because the American made stuff was really icky. Same went for KD, it just did NOT taste the same south of the border.

So, weird as that is, I like the stuff up north, but not the stuff you get down there. Guess I should add that to my poll huh? :rolleyes:

Oh wait! I should also put on the poll "Only KD made with cheez wiz in place of butter!" I have a couple of friends who won't eat it any other way!

Last edited:
i only buy the family size boxes with the pouch of cheese. the little boxes that you add milk to is DISGUSTING!! and the color is just WRONG!!

Kraft Mac n Cheese

There were days in college where this stuff was the only thing in the cabinet. I had eaten it as a child and so it was not bad at all to me. I liked to have it with cornbread.

Honestly, when I eat it now, I am usually sick with a cold or what not. Meaning I don't have it often. I'm unsure whether I like its taste or that it is salty enough to be tasted when I'm sick....or whether it simply makes me remember how Mom took care of me when I was unwell as a child. :rolleyes: But I do like it and make it just like the directions say on the box.

~Kathleen

I grew up on Mom's mac n cheese. It was one of her budget meals. Since my DH hates the stuff I will buy a box two or three times a year to satisfy my cravings! Real comfort food!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom