Today's harvest.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinylhanger

Sous Chef
Picked these this morning. The patch just started, so we should have a couple weeks of dining.

Bracken is a bit odd on the net. Some say good to eat, some say not. So I figure we'll have a 50-50 chance of surviving.

About like Taco Bell, so I'm good with it.20190427_083031.jpg

Add this to the end of your internet search terms and the results will be limited to university sites. That way, you'll get research-based information rather than people's opinions:

site:*.edu

Copied from the search:-

Ostrich ferns can be confused with other similar ferns such as the bracken fern Pteridium aquilinum. ... In contrast, the bracken fiddlehead has a fuzzy stem and lacks the U-shaped groove. It is important to be able to identify ferns down to species because some species, like the bracken fern, are known to be carcinogenic.
Harvesting Fiddleheads on Woodlots - Ontario Woodlot Association
https://www.ontariowoodlot.com/publications/.../harvesting-fiddleheads-on-woodlots

It is important to learn which ones you can eat - some are toxic and some are believed carcinogenic.
Even then fiddleheads must be cooked properly as you can get sick. Our stores now post warnings with their products (finally!)

Read-research all you can - what I've checked out so far is good advice.

Back
Top Bottom