"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Too much google!

Ok here's the situation I'm currently in!


I'm basically poor because of college and that's fine by me since I love to learn and I'm doing great in college and my gpa is 3.0 currently,

Anyways I'm going to be getting my asa in "Visal comm" and I will be using 3 pricey programs,

The 3 pricey programs are 3d studio max "$3,900 for the base program, $300 for Adobe photoshop, $300 for Adobe indesign or $700 for both the adobes programs ina student bundle.

I might be getting Adobe photoshop as a early christmas for study and that will not be a problem or a concern.


My main concern is 3d studio max 2010 since it's $3,900 for the base program and I hate google, There so much info about getting grants it's making my head spin so speak!



Help thanks!

__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,518
I am confused. What are you looking for help on? What is Visal comm? What does "My main concern is 3d studio max 2010 since it's $3,900 for the base program and I hate google, There so much info about getting grants it's making my head spin so speak!" mean? Why do you hate Google and what does Google have to do with you paying for expensive programs? I seriously have no idea what you are talking about here.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,518
Also, are you sure you have your figures correct on this part?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef
$300 for Adobe photoshop, $300 for Adobe indesign or $700 for both the adobes programs ina student bundle.
Why would the bundle cost more than buying the programs individually?
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
What are you talking about? Is this just a vent?
Yes, it cost $$ to attend school and buy the requisite materials.
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I am confused. What are you looking for help on? What is Visal comm? What does "My main concern is 3d studio max 2010 since it's $3,900 for the base program and I hate google, There so much info about getting grants it's making my head spin so speak!" mean? Why do you hate Google and what does Google have to do with you paying for expensive programs? I seriously have no idea what you are talking about here.
Sorry everyone, Let me try to clarify this,

The visual comm is degree in the computer arts department & these are the programs I will be using for that department.

I do understand my English is horrible I am deeply sorry for that, I'm getting help at NMCfor my English.

GB, 3dstudio max 2010 is the name of the program and yes it actually cost's $3,900 that's not a typo for once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Also, are you sure you have your figures correct on this part?

Why would the bundle cost more than buying the programs individually?
I've done a lot of price checking on google, amazon.com, newegg.com and they all run about the same.

The reason the bundles are so much your getting programs 1 full license, and a few plug in's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
What are you talking about? Is this just a vent?
Yes, it cost $$ to attend school and buy the requisite materials.
More like I'm confused, I have a couple of friends I stay intouch with and they said they purchased 3ds studio max and light wave "which is a 3d modeling app" and they're in the same boat as I am for being poor!


By the way google gave my brain a head ache when I am trying to research grant's, loans I don't have to pay back and I've found one that looks promising "His name is Mathew Lesko" he had a commercial where he yell's like Billy may's did and he wears a question mark tux and look like the mad hatter!
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
Gimme a break...
What is the problem with getting a loan? Yes, you have to pay it back, but there are subsidized loans that are quite helpful. Did you fill out FAFSA? If yo really are poor, and have the tax documents to prove it, don't have a degree, you can get grants and low interest loans.
If visual communication/arts is your major, then , yes, you need a program to do the work. Just like I needed a violin to get my bachelor of music, an artist needs their paints and canvasses, and a chef needs their knives.
Seriously, did you do FAFSA?
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
GB, 3dstudio max 2010 is the name of the program and yes it actually cost's $3,900 that's not a typo for once!
Yes I know programs can run that much. I workwith programs that are 10x that expensive. What I did not understand was what Google has to do with it and why you hate google.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
The reason the bundles are so much your getting programs 1 full license, and a few plug in's
This still does not make sense. If you buy the programs separately you will get a license for each program. I seriously doubt you are paying an extra $100 for a few plug ins. I have never heard of a bundle costing more than the sum of the two separate parts put together.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Gimme a break...
What is the problem with getting a loan? Yes, you have to pay it back, but there are subsidized loans that are quite helpful. Did you fill out FAFSA? If yo really are poor, and have the tax documents to prove it, don't have a degree, you can get grants and low interest loans.
If visual communication/arts is your major, then , yes, you need a program to do the work. Just like I needed a violin to get my bachelor of music, an artist needs their paints and canvasses, and a chef needs their knives.
Seriously, did you do FAFSA?
I did fill out my FAFSA and I got $2,900 for vis comm and fines arts, As soon as I've paid off everything at the college I had $144 just enough for the books I need for the viscomm program, What's funny I got more in my FAFSA this year then I did last year when I started college in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Yes I know programs can run that much. I work with programs that are 10x that expensive. What I did not understand was what Google has to do with it and why you hate google.



This still does not make sense. If you buy the programs separately you will get a license for each program. I seriously doubt you are paying an extra $100 for a few plug ins. I have never heard of a bundle costing more than the sum of the two separate parts put together.
I don't know GB, maybe I'm still wet behinds the ears as I used to hear that saying a lot when I was a kid growing up! But I do know the bundle has documentation,, and a few plug in's


Do they still do the dungle device?
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
Then what's the problem? You still need to purchase a program. Get a loan, like most of us. Get a job, you can pay it back.
and what is your problem with google?
Have you been to this site?
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended Academic - Savings for Students & Teachers
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,518
I would do more research CC. It makes zero sense that the bundle would cost more. The individual programs will have documentation too.

What is a dungle device and does who have it?

You still haven't answered what Google has to do with this.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Then what's the problem? You still need to purchase a program. Get a loan, like most of us. Get a job, you can pay it back.
and what is your problem with google?
Have you been to this site?
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended Academic - Savings for Students & Teachers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I would do more research CC. It makes zero sense that the bundle would cost more. The individual programs will have documentation too.

What is a dungle device and does who have it?

You still haven't answered what Google has to do with this.
Thanks guys, Dungle is a device that sends information to Adobe, Autodesk, so and so on, It tells the company you own a legit copy of the program and it tells tech support they can help you out if you need it. And the problem with google is too much info if you don't really know what your looking for!
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
just narrow your search terms, use quotation marks, etc
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
just narrow your search terms, use quotation marks, etc
Ah Qutation marks, Good idea and thank you Wyo
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
Please visit your college's learning center. They can help you with researching on the internet, as well as where to find the materials you need for class.
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,410
If I was rich and generous I'd buy you that program.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,410
^^^ *were*
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,041
It's called a "dongle," not a "dungle."

Check with your teacher, with the college bookstore, and with the software manufacturer to see if they have student or academic versions available. They're usually the full program, but you have to be a student to get the discount, which can be huge.

Check this store, which specializes in student/academic software: R-Tech Computers, Inc. Home Page

They have three different student versions of 3D Studio Max 2010 for $90.00, $191.00, and $381.00: http://needsoftware.com/search.aspx?find=3D+Studio

(www.needsoftware.com is part of R-Tech Computers -- I'm familiar with the store because I used to live about 2 miles from it, but I have no other connection with either).
__________________
Doug Collins
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #18
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Please visit your college's learning center. They can help you with researching on the internet, as well as where to find the materials you need for class.
I will be Wyogal, I'm learning to research for stuff properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
If I was rich and generous I'd buy you that program.
You don't need to be rich or Generous to learn adobe products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
^^^ *were*
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
It's called a "dongle," not a "dungle."

Check with your teacher, with the college bookstore, and with the software manufacturer to see if they have student or academic versions available. They're usually the full program, but you have to be a student to get the discount, which can be huge.

Check this store, which specializes in student/academic software: R-Tech Computers, Inc. Home Page

They have three different student versions of 3D Studio Max 2010 for $90.00, $191.00, and $381.00: Needsoftware.com - Search

(www.needsoftware.com is part of R-Tech Computers -- I'm familiar with the store because I used to live about 2 miles from it, but I have no other connection with either).
Thank you for the correction Scotch, and yes dongle is what I was thinking of, I have actually filled out my Stafford loan for Adobe photoshop & in design bundle and I'm not sure how long it will take until I can get the money for the loan!
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
Good luck!
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #20
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Good luck!
Thank you Wyo, According to my user panal at the college I'm all ready approved for the Stafford loan and all I have to do is to fill out the form and return it to the financial aid office on monday!
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.