Tough Day in the Neighborhood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Yesterday was a little bit rough around here. The mother of the neighbor guy across the street died after a very short illness. He told me that he noticed she wasn't feeling/acting her normal self and suggested she get to the doctor. She's been the primary caretaker for her husband who has Alzheimer's, so like most caregiver's she'd not taken care of herself. Turns out that after testing for various conditions, the doctor told that she had terminal cancer. :( That was 2 1/2 weeks ago; she was gone by last week Saturday. 78 years old. You never know when your time is up.

Later, I was scrolling through Facebook. Ran across a post for an old neighbor from the 'hood - she and her hubby lived next to my SIL and her hubby. Her mom passed away on Sunday. Since my old neighbor now lives over 30 miles from here, I offered her condolences rather than running food over to her house. After all, every good Polish momma knows you send food to the house when someone dies.

Needless to say, I got off Facebook in fear of finding anyone else I knew was gone...

I'm sorry to hear about your tough day. Years ago, my old boss said, "the toughest thing about growing older is going to the funerals." The comment has stuck with me.

Back in my "old" neighbourhood and slowly catching up with the "old" gang, not something I wanted to rush into.

Having coffee with one and catching up with 'who's here and who's not. All the reminiscing about them. Had made arrangements to visit another in hospital with him only to find out the next day he had passed that very same day.

It sucks, it's hard and I sooo agree with Ginny's boss' comment.

I get it CG, Hugs.

Thanks everyone. It's a whole lot tougher on the families of the people who died than for me. While I never met Jill's mom, I had met my across the street neighbor's mom and had talked with her a number of times when she and her husband were visiting. Just about a month ago, in fact. She certainly didn't seem like someone whose days were numbered. You never know...

I'm sorry to hear about your tough day. Years ago, my old boss said, "the toughest thing about growing older is going to the funerals." The comment has stuck with me.

Ginny, you had a very wise boss. When I was younger and people a few generations older than I would die I would think "they're so old". Now that I'm getting to be that age all I can think is "they were so young!".

Sent from my moto g(6) using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom