Towels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara

Senior Cook
I have towels that are less than a year old and are no longer soft - any tips on what I can do to repair. I use bounce dryer sheets.

Switch to liquid fabric softener (bounce sheets are a fire hazard) or use dryer balls.

thanks to all of you for your tips, love the "dryer balls" one.

for my California friends I'm in the desert and wonder if it's the hard water?

Barbara, we have some of the hardest water in the world. Thats not it I don't think. Seriously, dryer balls from the dollar store work like magic. (insert own joke here!)

I'm going to say detergent build up. I noticed some 10 years ago, I think, when i stopped using detergent, and started using homemade laundry soap, I could wash the towels and clothes and get 'soapy water' in the washer without even using detergent. Watch your spin rinse cycle. It was because the detergent was building up and and using too much and I have hard water. Now, and then, I softened my water, so that wasn't the problem.
Now I use homemade laundry detergent and my poly/cotton towels are nice and soft and my 100% cotton towels are soft and I use no fabric softener.
I think the same thing can happen with soap building up, I say this because I have a washcloth in the shower and I get it all lathered up with homemade soap and if I don't rinse it really good, it will get very stiff and there is soap lather left in it when I wet it down and take a look.

Back
Top Bottom