Travel & Food experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
Just wondering about interesting places you have visited in other parts of the world outside your own country ? What did you enjoy about the place and how was the food ?

Plus, do you have anywhere on your To Do list you still want to visit ?

For me, I love the Caribbean . Jamaica in particular was wonderful , beautiful place and the people were friendly and funny, great sense of humour . Loved the food, ate jerk chicken and jerk pork a lot, served with hot hot sauce and corn. Also loved the rice and peas, plus curried goat .

I liked Cuba too but that may have something to do with Havana rum :yum:

Would still love to visit Norway, and New York .

Most of my out-of-country experiences are limited to Europe. I've been there more than a dozen times over the years.

Paris: Le Florimond. Absolutely loved this place. It's pretty tiny, but the food is awesome. Also helpful that all of the waiters and the owner speak English well, as my 4 years of high school French classes have thus far proven to be useless in Paris. Their prix fixe menu is reasonable at 35€. We had steak and veal brains when we visited but the menu is seasonal. They also offer some wonderful wine selections. Another place we like is Le Petit Niçois. We ate there one year for my wife's birthday. Fabulous!

England: I've been all over England and wish I could remember all of the places I've dined at here. Some were extraordinary (there was a Spanish restaurant in London we liked a lot). Others were odd. One memorable place (also in London) offered "American Style Barbeque". We had to try it. Turns out it was run by a nice Polish couple. I'm sorry to say that nothing on the menu was remotely Barbeque-ish, let alone American style. But it was interesting. Their take on chili was like nothing I've ever had. More like goulash. It was very good, though. When I travel in the UK, I tend to stick to two types of food that I feel are always good choices: currry/balti and pub grub. No one does common man fare like the British. :yum:

Italy: I've been to Italy three times. You really can't go wrong anywhere in Italy, so I'll stick to a few of the more memorable places. The first is La Mistra in the Giudecca area of Venice. It's run by a red-faced German guy. We were never handed a menu there. The waiter simply came over to our table and asked us what we like. After some back and forth chatter, he asked "Do you like Lobster?". Of course we do. So he made us some angel hair pasta with fresh lobster meat. The starter course was a salami type thing infused with squid ink. Very interesting. The other place we enjoyed was in Rome. It was an outdoor cafe in the piazza where the Pantheon sits. We spent hours there, sitting outside enjoying street musicians, and course after course of fabulous food and wine. What memories I have of that little cafe. There was another place in Milan that served the best rabbit I've ever tasted. It was cooked casserole style in a brick oven.

Spain. Spain has a lot of good food. We did the whole tapas thing there one night. The thing to know for Americans visiting Spain is that they eat at very weird hours compared to us. They get up late in the morning. They eat a big meal in the middle of the day (usually followed by a nap) and then snack into the wee hours of the night. Don't go there expecting dinner at 6:00 pm because you'll never find it.

Turkey. I visited Turkey for a couple of months back back in the mid-1990s. I don't remember a lot of specifics, but one thing really stood out. All over that country they have one-stop places along the main routes where you can refuel your car, eat a meal, and pray at a mosque. The food in some of these places is actually pretty decent. It's mostly cafeteria style and served from warmers in glass cases. We would simply point at what we wanted and they would dish it up. Sometimes it was very good (doner kebaps, which are Turk style gyros). Other times it was dreadful. I once had a rice dish with minced lambs brains that was virtually inedible.

As for places where I would like to visit, Germany, Portugal, and Denmark are on the short list.

I'll also add that some of the best food I've ever had was right here in the US. A lot of people outside of our country don't really realize how big and diverse it is here. A couple of my favorite regional specialties include Creole cuisine in Louisiana (some of it is truly world class), and Southwest food in Arizona/New Mexico.

Last edited:
When I went to the UK for 6 weeks I went to a fair few places in England and we also went to Ireland, spent most of the time there in Dublin and ate at a couple of very nice but very expensive restaurants

In England we ate at a few Italian places, one in particular was really nice in Steve;s home town Sheffield...it was called Piccolos, very nice food there :)

Also a couple of nice Cantonese and Chinese restaurants :)

Looking back, I still cant believe I was in the UK for 6 weeks and didnt have one curry :rolleyes:

I would like to visit Italy, Paris and to go back to the UK and visit England and Ireland again and also go to Wales and Scotland

Loved hearing about your travels Steve! I know what you mean aboutbSpain, by the time people are going out for dinner I am ready for my bed. I would still love to go to Italy too at some point, never been there . Portugal is wonderful, lovely country been a few times and great food .

Kylie I don't ever go out to eat curry here I think it's more popular in certain parts of the UK . I do like to make curry at home now and again. You would love Wales, such a lovely part of the UK and not too far away from me !

I had the best Chinese food I'd ever eaten in a restaurant in Edinburgh, Scotland. The food on the French side of St. Martin was outstanding, we found a place halfway up a mountain where you signed up on a blackboard outside, and showed up later. There were only about 6 tables, and the courses were beautifully prepared.. I was served what looked like a dead rat when we were in Antigua (I'd ordered chicken). New Orleans has outstanding food. Wonderful places to eat on Maui and Kauai. We love the different offerings in Mexico, my current fave is the coconut lionfish. Not many places serve it, but when we can find it, it's some of the best fish I've ever eaten, even better than walleye!

Some day we would love to snorkel Australia's Great Barrier Reef. I've also always wanted to see Greece.

For our 25th anniversary, DH and I spent 10 days in Germany, visiting our former exchange students, and Italy, on our own. I loved the veal schnitzel wiht mushroom sauce I had for lunch right after we got off the plane. We stayed one night with the parents of one of our students; his father grilled wonderful Thuringian sausages for dinner and his mother served the most delicious homemade rolls and jams for breakfast.

In Italy, one dinner I really enjoyed was the lemony meatballs over pasta, and before that, the ribollita - twice-boiled Tuscan soup with white beans, tomatoes and greens. Delicious. We often had panini from delis for lunch - the cases of wonderful cold cuts and cheeses were beautiful. One day, though, I had a tuna panini with olive oil, lettuce and tomato. Yum.

I also vacationed with some relatives in Turkey in 2001. The food was just fabulous. I remember really enjoying lamb kebabs, rolled pastry filled with ground lamb or cheese, simply prepared fresh seafood and cherry juice, which I had never had before. I love traveling :)

Attachments

• 06restaurant.jpg
    06restaurant.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC06148.jpg
    DSC06148.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC07776.jpg
    DSC07776.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 184
  • 05-wiener-schnitzel.jpg
    05-wiener-schnitzel.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC07369.jpg
    DSC07369.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 163
Stand by for an epistle, and thanks for letting me relive..

This is an interesting question. I have been fortunate enough (or unfortunate enough, depending on POV) of have done a lot world travel for business, and a fair amount pleasure travel with my spousal unit. Many, many great meals. But the ones that seem most memorable have to do with the setting and the experience. Some of the more memorable ones that come to mind:

Ankara, Turkey... dinner with some Turkish political people at a restaurant in the ANCIENT citadel that overlooks the city. Marvelous food, braised lamb on aubergine puree, numerous sides, Cuban cigars and high end cognac. On a terrace overlooking all of Ankara and a beautiful sunset.

Also Ankara, was with an associate that used to run the US Military mission to Turkey. He took me to an old part of town – Ulus. Went into a rug shop where he had directed a lot of business to over the years. They, of course, loved him. The shop owners had us sit down, they sent out for Iskendr Kebaps (sliced lamb in a tomato based sauce over pita. All served in aluminum tins. While we ate they were showing their wares, beautiful, hugely expensive carpet after carpet, throwing them in the middle of the floor.

Positano, Italy, with wife. Big dishes of fresh seafood and great wine in a beach side restaurant. Was the same restaurant that was in the movie Under the Tuscan Sun.

Sorrento, Italy, also with wife, pizza and wine on a sidewalk restaurant on the city’s absolutely charming main piazza in the evening, watching all the people stroll by.

Tokyo – yakitori and beer “Under the Tracks” with business associates. Place was in a wide pedestrian tunnel under the main rail line that runs through Tokyo near the Ginza. Sort of open air, except being in the underpass, smoke everywhere. Place was mentioned in Steve Raichlin’s BBQ Bible.

Lamma Island, Hong Kong. This island is several km south of Hong Kong Island. They have a beachfront promenade with a dozen or so seafood restaurants, each with hundreds of different kinds of sea creatures swimming around in tanks in front of the restaurant. That’s dinner. A company I was doing business with had a 70’ yacht and took a few of us on it to get dinner. I didn’t know what half the seafood was that I was eating. Very unique dinner, and a very cool ride to get there.

Paris, with wife… Croque Monsiuers and nutella crepes at a sidewalk café at the foot of the bluff in Montmartre, the Basilica of Sacre Coeur towering above us. Beautiful.

Bath, UK, with wife..Shepherd’s Pie and Fish n Chips at at a pub overlooking the River Avon in one of England’s most charming towns.

Wife and I are headed to Barcelona, Madrid and Paris in 6 weeks. I’m sure there will be memorable meals from this trip.

Sorrento, Italy, also with wife, pizza and wine on a sidewalk restaurant on the city’s absolutely charming main piazza in the evening, watching all the people stroll by.
You just made me remember Sorrento. I love that place, as well as nearby Capri. I remember having a wonderful lunch of seafood risotto down by the small city beach, while my wife and daughter went perusing the small shops along the back streets. The whole Amalfi coast area has many charms.

I think about many folks here who can't afford or have been unable to travel out of their current areas for various reasons. Some of us are lucky, and have been able to travel out of the country..

Please feel free to post your dream vacations, even though you haven't been there!

I think about many folks here who can't afford or have been unable to travel out of their current areas for various reasons. Some of us are lucky, and have been able to travel out of the country..

Please feel free to post your dream vacations, even though you haven't been there!

Every time I travel, I think of how lucky I am to be there!

My favorite dining experience, was one of the most humble. It was in a remote village in Mexico, in the Sierra Madre mountains. I wish that I had taken pictures of the food, so that I remembered all that I ate, but I remember a taco with potatoes in it that was fried, YUM. It was very rustic, they would scoot chickens out the door when they wandered in :LOL:!

Here were our servers, they are standing in the dining room
SG1L2019.JPG

Here is some salsa, amazingly fresh!
SG1L2067.JPG

Haven't travelled outside of SA much but I did live in Barcelona for 1 year.

Loved the Tapas, Paella, Large Juicy Olives, Cured meats and Sausages, Sangria and lots more. Food was fantastic!

My top 5 places I still want to visit for the foods are....
Italy
Greece
Germany
Japan
Thailand.

Hopefully one day soon :)

I"ve only been to Italy, but I've been there 3 times. First time I was about 25 and went with a slightly older girlfriend and we stayed with some friends she had met on a previous trip. After they picked us up at the airport in Rome, we had a couple of hours drive to get to their home.

We stopped to eat lunch along the way at one of the little restaurants that was the front room of a family's home. Between the 25+ years of time, jet lag, since I hadn't slept in almost 24 hours from being so excited, and the copious amounts of wine we were fed with our multi-course lunch, I don't remember the dishes other than they were absolutely delicious. I do remember our desert wine, which I remember because I had to be seriously coaxed to try it because it had a worm in the bottle. The owner had a glass with us and ate the worm in order to get me to try it. The wine, however, was soooo good and everybody had a good laugh when I asked for another glass. Now, I know it was a homemade prosecco-type wine.

The second time Craig and I went on a tour trip. We had wonderful meals in Stresa and in Sorrento when we ditched the tour group. The place in Stresa was a tiny little family-run eatery for locals. It was way back and a good hike on foot from the tourist areas. We spent a lot of time in one of the shops in the tourist part of town talking to the owner and I guess she liked us because she's the one that steered us there. We also visited an Irish pub on the way down that was full of locals and was run by an Irish woman that had married an Italian man. Learned how to make the best Irish coffee ever while we were there. In Sorrento, we were fortunate to make a lucky choice in the restaurants we had been scouting thru the day to avoid eating the hotel dinner food that the other tour members got. There were a few other good places we ate at too but I'd have to dig up my souveniers and notes to get their names. We did get to eat at Cipriani's in Venice but I don't remember much of that or the next 24 hours or so since I was coming down with some kind of bug that required Craig to make a long walk up the hill (mountain?) in Assisi to the pharmacy that was closed for lunch so he got to walk around and sightsee up at the top for a couple of hours while I snoozed the day away in the hotel. What I do remember was very good and the Bellinis especially.

Third time was when I went with our daughter. We took a tour group too just because an Italian friend we had made over the internet from a shared interest said it wouldn't really be safe for 2 women traveling alone except in the large cities. We took a few extra days though before the tour started cause DD wanted to spend lots of time in the Vatican museums. Our first night there, we ate at the hotel cause we were just too tired to look for another place, typical hotel fare. Next night, we went to a little place just a block or so from our hotel, which was in a residential area of Rome. No one spoke any English at all but I had enough Italian to read the menu, get our meal ordered and very basic conversation. DD and I both love mushrooms and that's what our meal was mushrooms, mushrooms, and more mushroom-based dishes. Porcinis weren't in season unfortunately. We ate every dinner there while we were in that hotel. The night after we met up with the group, the tour guide and bus driver walked into the restaurant and their mouths almost hit the floor when they saw us in there. That was just a taste of what was to come for them as DD and I were always going off on our own after hitting the high points with the group. About the second day of touring, the tour guide asked us just to let her know more or less where we were going in case she "lost" us. She was actually very impressed that we'd go out on our own, even more so when we came back and told her about the illuminated manuscripts we saw in Ravenna that she had never heard about.

We did get to meet our Italian friend when we stayed the night in Assisi. I actually remember seeing the mosaics from that trip since I was so sick and out of it before. They came and picked us up and took us to Perugia, showed us around, ate dinner with us at a place that had good food.

We also got to go to a "renaissance" dinner in the Medici palace in Florence. Food wasn't by any means reniassance but it was very, very good and we got to see a lovely show with reniassance costumes, music and dancing. Florence is also where DD had the best hot chocolate either of us has ever had that I referenced in the hot chocolate thread.

In Sorrento, we ate at the same restaurant Craig and I had eaten at previously, still just as good for me. Unfortunately, it was DD's turn to get sick this time and I ended up having to eat rather quickly and get her back to the hotel, then got my own turn to go to the pharmacy the next day though she was in tow because the tour guide and I were both afraid she had strep throat and would need a doctor, but she didn't.

Moral of the story is that if somebody is sick on your tour group, stay as far away from them as you can get cause that's what did both of us in.

Last edited:
Wow,all fascinating reads! Thank you and for the photos too.

I remember when we went to Peru my Chilean friend would inspect the kitchens of potential restaurants to make sure they were satisfactory before we ate there! Not a custom we have in England!:)

i'v been around the caribbean, to london, western canada, and all over ireland, but one of my favourite trips was backpacking in the yucatan (mexico). not the safest place to travel back in the early 90's, but we were young and stupid, and had big machetes. :)

i remember being warned about the water in mexico, so i figured that i'd only drink beer the whole time we were there, lol. unfortunately, on the very first night i didn't think it out and had a frozen margarita before we started our hike. the ice in the margerita got me, and i spent the entire first night battling montezuma's revenge. :(
luckily, i was able to buy a drug called lomotil that was amazing (and sold non-prescription right next to the candy in the hotel's shop), and we were able to start our hike through the jungle to chichen itza the next day.

the best meal we had were from bartering american cigarettes, candy, and some small gear to a few local people we met along the way. we were invited to dinner a few times, and the simple, homemade meals of chicken in very spicy mole, rice, bean soup, fresh corn tortillas, and even what i think was an iguana cooked over an open fire were fantastic. actually, one of the hot pot dishes probably squeaked rather than clucked before we ate it, but since my spanish was sketchy and we were hungry, we didn't ask, lol. :yum:

Last edited:
I don't think you can climb Chichen itza it's a anymore now Bucky , we went a few years back and it's getting worn away . We went to another one nearby .

Back
Top Bottom