Traveling Apron Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Traveling Apron's Rules - Please Vote!

• Total voters

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Here's the poll, and check on as many boxes as you agree with. This will give a good look as to how our members feel about the apron.
Thanks all for your participation, and again, thank you for always showing the community spirit that makes DC such an awesome site!

Last edited:
Okay, now that I've voted, I need to make some comments.

I think it would be too problematic to have more than one apron working at a time. Too much like having three balls in the air. Jkath, you already do enough and we don't want to add to your load. Even though I suspect you would graciously accept it.

As for the time, what does a "week" mean? Are we speaking of 7 actual calendar days or 7 "business" days? That probably should be clarified. Plus, when a holiday in someone's area occurs during the time a member is in possession of the treasured apron.

When it comes to including "goodies" in the package with the apron, I think we should allow some latitude there. Some people live in areas we all would like to visit and a piece of that person's area would be a real treat for those receiving the apron following its visit to that area.

These are just my initial thoughts and I will probably have some more. Let's get this ball rolling. Buck and I are ready to have some fun.

"Can a new apron come out and play?"

I actually liked keeping watch over the "little baby" while it was in circulation. Made me happy to know I could make other people happy.

First question: a week would mean 7 calendar days.
Holidays don't count, and are free days - how fun would it be to have the apron on Halloween?!

The reason I asked about more than one, is that in the slight chance we'd lose another, the loss wouldn't be so great.

Goodies, I think are great, but maybe should only go to the very next person, as sometimes shipping does get expensive. Perhaps no $ should be sent.

I totaly agree with the no $ being sent. Open invitation. I also think the count point and time on board are low. As well, a week to some folks who ar every busy, may not be enough time. Sheesh, I'm sounding like Ms Doomandgloomandaren'tIfuntobearound, but I don't mean to be. Just trying to think of all the angles to make it work. :)

Miss Jkath...

I will support what ever decisions the "family" agrees upon.

I would personally support a higher Membership time as well as a higher post count. Or a which ever comes first scenario.

As you already know you can count on my support, and such assistance as you may need to move this project forward.

Thank you for your willingness to devote your time and energy to the effort!!

My Warmest Regards,

Uncle Bob

I would really love to see only one apron. If you don't have time to go to the post office this week, why would you have time next week. The less time you have the apron, the better. You can always send pic's to the next person later on and that person can send them on....eventually they will catch up to the apron. Or just post them on DC.
It would be nice to get the apron with a treat from the last person and sending one to the next person. It's going to take some time for the apron to get around so the treats need to be eaten before 2008.
I don't mind the extra postage for international mail but this might be subject to scheduling the apron's route. The cost of mailing a treat loaded apron might break me but not a single treat.
The apron needs to be secured in a container that is easy to mail. Priority mail is not that expensive and 4Th class mail should be avoided. This time the apron probably needs to go registered so the last person or somebody gets verification of it's receipt.
If the apron is going out of the USA, a custom form has to be filled out declaring the contents. Maybe some instructions about mailing should be mailed with the apron.
Is this going to be a bleached muslin apron in a butcher style (flat with neck ring & tie string)?

One apron.... and I would not put anything of "value" in the box with the apron. We all know that the contents of the box has a different value for us all, but nothing with a monetary value. I agree with StirBlue that maybe it should be sent via registered mail, and that info could be communicated to jkath...

Anywho... I know I have not posted as much as most, not on here as long as some, but I would be honored to participate in what can only be described as a thoughtful, kind, and loving gesture of the DC family.

yeah no $ sent out... and make sure they are "members" that have been here for a while, its sad we have to do this but some people are just that way, I sent it back with pictures b/c I had gotten sick alot of stuff was going on so I didn't hinder the package...
jkath,thanks for being so great....

After reading the thread "how did you find dc", I came to understand that many of the members here have been associates in another forum and are well acquainted.

When I saw how many members voted for 200 post & 3 months membership at DC, I also came to understand how much the Traveling Apron meant.

I did not sign up for the first Traveling Apron but since I have proved to myself that I can get my personal mail out, I have more confidence in accepting the responsibility of the Traveling Apron.

I just narrowly meet the qualifications having become a member 12/01/06. I believe that this is a good recommendation. If you are just joining DC, it will be months before you are next on the list anyway. Then you can be added.

I only want THE apron, not some European apron...we are ONE community! I understand that money was put in there to help the poor sucker who had to ship it overseas to the non-N.American contingent. I personally am entirely happy to send in internationally (I think I was due to send it from Italy to UK, which is fine...I do that a lot anyway!).

I think a week would be tight for some people. I would certainle say no more than 14 calendar days (excluding holidays but not weekends). It seems to me that a mother getting it as it approached a holiday would struggle to organised family catering and activities and get to a Post office if she only had five calendar days (assuming POs are closed Sat and Sun).

I happily will give my name and addresses and contact numbers to any mod of DC, including Jkath!!!

I would like to put some things in the package, especially for people who have not been to Italy, or if I am in UK, England. Its part of spreading the love, but I can see it could, over time, accumulate weight....perhaps if someone has experienced what is sent they could leave it, if not try it?
I think a postcard from the area its been to in the box would be nice, so that we can all really add something that goes to everyone after us.

I totally agree that one apron would be best. I was mailing to Italy this January and it is not that hard or expensive. I would much rather spend money on international postage rather than overnight packages.

My thought on this is the custom declaration which ask for a dollar value on the contents and if you would be taxed for receipt of the apron and it's contents based on that value.

I was thinking that we should send you some wooden spoons with the apron. :rolleyes: Along with some scrumptious goodies to munch on.

I voted for both the post count and the membership of at least 3 months. I also agree with the statement that maybe it needs to be longer. Frankly though, by the time the folks on the bottom of the list get it, they will have been members for quite a while. LOL.

If you are still up for it jkath, I think the best thing to do would be to have you monitor the list and if there are people who drop off the boards you have the executive power to remove them or drop them to the bottom of the list.

As for any money being sent to help with shipping, well thats what PayPal is for. If anyone wants to contribute money to help send the apron around send it via PayPal to jkath and let her send it to the ones who need it. I think we can all agree that she is trustworthy. (and if you don't, then don't send her any $!! :ROFLMAO: )

Really, the original set up was fine. Folks enjoyed it, and it was working. With the additional monitoring and information sent to one central person it should be fine.

Miss jkath, Miss Alix,

In addtion to the "Executive powers" granted to Miss jkath. I would add. At Miss jkath's discretion anyone violating any of this forums Rules/regulations or other impolite or unbecoming behavior etc. be removed entirely from the list. In simple terms ya better be nice:-p

Uncle Bob

I am so glad it's looking like the Apron will be making a come back. I look forward to earning the right to get on "The List"
A round of applause to the "Keeper of the Apron" jkath:clap: :punk: :bb:

I agree with the length of time being extended to a little bit longer. Goodies I think should be up to the sender...postcards, letters, or pictures would be a great momentum of all of the DC members. I voted for two aprons for the simple fact that with travel time and the amount of time that it will be in a members house, it will take forever for it to get to those members who haven't been here as long as some but are still in good standing. JKATH, you are such a wonderful person and I hope that people do feel like they can trust you. I will be willing to give out any necessary info to you to get my turn. I am so excited to have this going around again. I can't wait for it to reach me!!!

P.S. I think that apron would be perfect!!! ;) :chef:

Last edited:
Hooray! Thank you JKath for starting it up again ...

I am with the others - one apron for the whole group with a time limit and all vital information shared with you so you can hunt us down if we flake out.

As you start a new list - would it be possible to go with the original list and add new people to the bottom? Not to be picky about it but some of us have waited a long time to touch the coveted cloth :) . Just a thought ...

Count me back in please!

Back
Top Bottom