Trends that should disappear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom commented you get "some" "ruffage" from iceburg lettuce (meaning beneficial).

I doubt that. Some trace elements maybe. Iceberg lettuce was made for sandwiches (IMHO).
Romaine lettuce is better for sandwiches , but very expensive.

Last edited:
My mom commented you get "some" "ruffage" from iceburg lettuce (meaning beneficial).

I doubt that. Some trace elements maybe. Iceberg lettuce was made for sandwiches (IMHO).

Edit: Lettuce is a big trend, it shouldn't disappear.

Last edited:
We can't buy some foods here that I like, because the uae pay high prices for out lamb parts. Can't see them prices coming down. It's stuff I grew up with.

Russ

We can't buy some foods here that I like, because the uae pay high prices for out lamb parts. Can't see them prices coming down. It's stuff I grew up with.

Russ

I was just thinking this afternoon that it has been a while since I ate lamb parts. I need to correct that, but I'm not sure just what parts I should buy. :huh:

CD :D

I was just thinking this afternoon that it has been a while since I ate lamb parts. I need to correct that, but I'm not sure just what parts I should buy. :huh:

CD :D

I recently purchased two lamb chops for Pirate. Just enough for one person. I prefer to roasted leg of lamb.

I can't imagine putting romaine on a sandwich, with the exception of a Caesar wrap, or something like that.

Even if there were 0 nutrients in iceberg lettuce, I wouldn't care. It's my favorite for sandwiches and salads (although, again, I do like romaine and spinach) because I prefer the taste and texture over other lettuces. In fact, when it comes to 'other' lettuce and greens for salads, romaine and spinach is as far as I go above iceberg.

Iceberg all the way for BLTs, and with boiled ham and mayo on white.

However, I just thought of a trend that I'm happy to see less often: a wedge salad.

You feed large herbivores in a zoo like that.

Iceberg all the way for BLTs, and with boiled ham and mayo on white.

However, I just thought of a trend that I'm happy to see less often: a wedge salad.

You feed large herbivores in a zoo like that.

Agreed on all. I like the flavor combination of the wedge salad, but I'd really rather have it on chopped lettuce instead of a big wedge that I have to cut up myself.

Trend that should disappear:

Seasoned french fries as the norm. Many restaurants now have these as their only option and frankly the seasoning is too salty and has mystery ingredients. A good french fry is a thing of beauty and doesn't need to be augmented, imo. Not a fan. Serve the seasoning on the side.

Fer sure, I need one leaf of iceberg on a sandwich, and shredded iceberg for Taco's but that's enough iceberg for me. The trendy "wedge salads" are really a throwback from my childhood when I thought I hated salads because of it. Wedge salads are a big money maker for restaurants, but unless I can get a salad with romaine and without field greens I won't eat it.

I can't imagine putting romaine on a sandwich, with the exception of a Caesar wrap, or something like that.

Really? When my garden isn't producing, I buy romaine hearts almost exclusively for salads and sandwiches. Crunchy and flavorful and a beautiful deep green :yum:

Cooked lambs tongues are a fave, ans sweetbreads.

Russ

I need to go to COSTCO and pick up some lamb chops. They have good lamb chops. I'm not a big fan of animal tongues. Can't say I'm excited about eating pancreas, either. :huh:

CD

Trend that should disappear:

Seasoned french fries as the norm. Many restaurants now have these as their only option and frankly the seasoning is too salty and has mystery ingredients. A good french fry is a thing of beauty and doesn't need to be augmented, imo. Not a fan. Serve the seasoning on the side.

A big huge vote for this one. If I have fries, I want nice crispy ones with just a little bit of salt and that's it.

Fer sure, I need one leaf of iceberg on a sandwich, and shredded iceberg for Taco's but that's enough iceberg for me. The trendy "wedge salads" are really a throwback from my childhood when I thought I hated salads because of it. Wedge salads are a big money maker for restaurants, but unless I can get a salad with romaine and without field greens I won't eat it.

Ditto.

Really? When my garden isn't producing, I buy romaine hearts almost exclusively for salads and sandwiches. Crunchy and flavorful and a beautiful deep green :yum:

In salads I'm fine with it, but not on sandwiches. I do love romaine hearts.

I need to go to COSTCO and pick up some lamb chops. They have good lamb chops. I'm not a big fan of animal tongues. Can't say I'm excited about eating pancreas, either. :huh:

CD

Growing up in a poor area, we ate what we could get. I choose now.

Russ

CD

I only buy Costco lamb. It's all from New Zealand, as I don't like American lamb. The flavor is entirely different.

I'd sure try the lamb tongues and sweetbreads as I like both from beef.

I only buy Costco lamb. It's all from New Zealand, as I don't like American lamb. The flavor is entirely different.

I'd sure try the lamb tongues and sweetbreads as I like both from beef.

I too do not like american grown lamb. Superior Farms makes lamb raised in the USA. It's more like beef than it is lamb, I swear. On the other hand, I don't like overly gamey tasting New Zealand lamb.

We've discussed this topic of lamb before. Lamb grown in the USA are fed mostly grain now (little or no grass) their entire life. No wonder it resembles beef nowadays. Hardly any lamb taste.
Lamb from New Zealand are fed mostly grass, up until butchering time when they switch to feeding them grain. However, too much feeding of grass can make NZ lamb taste way to gamey for me. Too little grass (usa grown lamb) makes the lamb resemble and taste like beef. Feeding grass to lambs is too costly in the US today, so they've switched to feeding them mostly grain their entire growing cycle (little grass at all, too costly). The end product isn't lamb, it's more like beef.

USA Superior Farms "lamb for stew" packages resemble cubes of beef. Very little fat on them to have to trim off, which is nice, but at the cost of true lamb flavor. I've resorted to buying and cutting up shoulder lamb chops for my lamb curry recipe. More expensive? Yes, very much so.

Last edited:
I love lamb from any country, but my wife will only eat American lamb for the exact reason that it is the least gamey.

I like to buy a couple of round bone chops (slices of a leg, really) and a couple of shoulder chops. They get well seasoned with s&p and garlic powder, then simply grilled alongside thick slices of sweet onion.

When they're done, the chops are rested over the onions so the onions soak up the juices.

Served alongside a baked spud topped with Herbs de Provence infused sour cream.

This is the only time I've ever seen my wife and son actually eat some of the pure fat that on every other meat they would trim and discard.

Mmmm, I need to make this again soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom