DID YOU KNOW...
The word 'pound' is abbreviated 'lb.' after the constellation 'libra' because it means 'pound' in Latin, and also 'scales'. The abbreviation for the British Pound Sterling comes from the same source: it is an 'L' for Libra/Lb. with a stroke through it to indicate abbreviation.
1. What is the primary ingredient in the dish, Yakitori ?
2. Can you name the body of water that lies almost two miles ABOVE sea
3. what actor portrayed gen. Patton in the Oscar-winning movie?
4. what is the diameter of a CD?
5. what's the southernmost city in Texas?
6. what was the first casino to open in Atlantic city?
(bonus-what year was it?)
7. can you name the type of critter that's been in existence for 330 million
years with little change in it's form?
8. under what name did movie cowboy Leonard Slye make it big?
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
O'Hare international airport is named after Edward "fast Eddie" O'Hare, who
was al Capone's long-time lawyer and business partner.
2. LAKE TITICACA
3. GEORGE C. SCOTT
4. 4 1/2 inches
6. RESORTS INTERNATIONAL (1976)
7. the octopus
8. ROY ROGERS
fast Eddie did, finally, under pressure, supply the information that put
scarface away, but that wouldn't be enough to get the airport named after
the airport is named after fast Eddie's son, who was a Chicago-born WWII
fighter pilot. the younger O'Hare won the medal of honor, the first navy man
to do that in WWII. he came upon a squadron of Japanese zeroes that were
about to attack an american carrier which had no planes aboard to go up in
defense of the ship. O'Hare flew into the formation, broke it up and
managed to shoot down five enemy planes. the remaining zeroes turned tail
and ran, and O'Hare landed his shot-up plane safely.
a year later, however, he did not return from a night mission. the
investigation turned up evidence that he was probably shot down by
“I come from a home where gravy is a beverage.”
― Erma Bombeck