trivia 11/3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
trivia 11/3

Did you know…
Hannibal Hamlin, who was Abraham Lincoln's first vice president, so opposed slavery and believed in the Civil War's cause that while in office, at the age of 55, he enlisted as a private in the Maine Coast Guard and served as a cook. Lincoln dropped him from his 1864 re-election campaign ticket in favor of Andrew Johnson.

1. On Fahrenheit's scale, what's the boiling point of water at standard atmospheric pressure (sea level)?
2. What's the more common name for a person who works as a chiromancer?
3. What was the name of the hot air balloon that, in 1978, became the first successful trans-atlantic crossing?
4. Which President had a pet pooch named Little Beagle Junior?
5. What's the motto of the US Military Academy?
6. What year was the first TV remote control introduced? (Hint; it wasn't a cordless model)

7. Can you name the five largest organs in the body?
8. What instrument did Country singer Dolly Parton play in her High School marching band?

TRUTH OR CRAP ??
Hurricanes spin counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

1. 212 DEGREES
2. a palm-reader
3. double eagle II
4. LYNDON JOHNSON
5. DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
6. 1955

7. LIVER, BRAIN, LUNGS, HEART, KIDNEYS
8. snare drum
TRUTH !!
These motions are called the Coriolis effect and are caused by the earth's rotation.

Our friend Dan has pointed out that the answer to #7 is incorrect.

Largest organ
Your skin is your largest organ. It covers your entire body and has a surface area of around 2 square metres. Its thickness varies from 0.5mm on your eyelids to 4mm or more on the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet. In total, it accounts for around 16 percent of your body weight.

I guess the only explanation is that the question asked for the largest organs IN the body, not ON the body.:rolleyes:

OK, I feel better because I answered skin for that one too. I did well, only blowing 3, 5, 6. I am not a student of the US military clearly.

Back
Top Bottom