Tropicana Orange Juice Downsizing bottles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

This doesn't surprise me. For years, vendors/manufacturers have reduced the size of their products.

Even though the containers "appear" to be the same size, the contents are quite a percentage lower than what was previously produced.

Toilet paper has changed the "square" size of their paper to rectangles, still proffering that they have the same amount of tear-off pieces. Check it out.

The standard, at least in the past, cans of fruits and veggies has gone from a full 16-ounce to 14 or less. Canned soups, such as condensed ones that are used in a myriad of common recipes, have been reduced hugely.

Bacon, no longer a pound. Coffee, no longer than full pound quantities is way less...12 ounces I think.

You'd be hard pressed to find a 5-pound bag of sugar.

And the list goes on.....

I wrote a column more than 10 years ago about the reduction of the sizes of our grocery products.

Nothing surprises me any more.

Our toilet roll holders are from the 70s. When they first started selling double rolls, the rolls were far too large for our toilet roll holders, not even close. Now, the double rolls just barely fit. I think it's the same number of sheets.

Last edited:
The 52 and 59oz containers are the same height. They both look like they have the same width. The depth though does look a little bit smaller:(

...and those 59 ounce bottles used to be 64 ounces-a full half gallon.

Yep. My wife bought a "pound" of bacon the other day that was only 12 ounces, with the slices cut so thin that it was difficult to separate them without shredding them. I guess they figured that if it had the requisite number of slices, nobody would notice that it was only ¾ of a pound.

When I buy bacon, I buy a brand called Wright at Walmart.... 3 pound package, thick sliced, best bacon I've found anywhere. One of the very few things I've found at Walmart that I can give praise for.

We can still get bacon in 16 oz. pkg. (one brand of center cut bacon is a 12 oz. pkg.) and 5 lb. of sugar or flour. BUT they also sell 4 lb. bags of sugar and flour.

msm, I could be wrong (won't be the first time), but I remember reading that the 4 pound bags are cane sugar while the 5 pound bags tend to be beet sugar. I don't bake often, but I think the results are different and that you should bake with cane sugar.

...When I buy bacon, I buy a brand called Wright at Walmart...
Wright Brand bacon is the favorite bacon of Southern Living magazine this year - and maybe last year, too. I've seen it at Market Basket in 1 1/2 pound packages for, I think, around $6.50 a pound. Most bacon is selling for $3.99 a pound right now. I stock up when it goes on sale for $2.99.

OK, to get back to the original topic, I still see the 59 ounce bottles for basic orange juice, Tropicana or other brands. However, when they get to the probiotics, Trop 50 (fer cryin' out loud, just by the regular OJ and thin it out with your own water...:rolleyes: ), and those blended with other fruits (mango-orange and such), those tend to be in the 48- to 52-ounce size.

My Dad drank a lot of juice when he worked. Mom often bought the can of orange juice (because that's how it was sold in the 50s, 60s, 70s...), diluted it per the directions, then mixed it with a can of pineapple juice, or apricot nectar, or something else. Mom was trendy before a trend was invented. :heart:

I just checked. Both the 4 and 5 pound bags are pure cane sugar.

I buy low acid OJ these days. There's something about OJ and some cereal grains eaten at the same with OJ that boils up in my stomach. :LOL:

Last edited:
The 52 and 59oz containers are the same height. They both look like they have the same width. The depth though does look a little bit smaller:(
Less content - same price. Who'll notice the actual increase in price that way other than the sharp-eyed label reader. A common sales department trick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom