Turkey legs or breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookie69

Assistant Cook
Hello , we are celebrating Thanksgiving here in Canada this weekend . I didn't buy a whole turkey because leftovers here are not popular , so I bought some Turkey legs but was wondering which taste better the leg or the breast because maybe I will buy a small breast also .
Thank you

I'm a breast girl, but I know others prefer dark meat. It's personal preference.

You can use the leftovers (bones and skin) to make some nice stock.

Last edited:
The websites I've seen recommend around a pound per person, so you should be close.

"Close to 4 to 5"? That's a pound difference.

Turkey leftovers are not popular?!? Seriously?!? That does not compute. Really. I don't understand what that means ;)

I really prefer turkey thigh..drumsticks don't have much meat on the bone. If I were you, I'd make another grocery run for more turkey. As a hostess my biggest nightmare would be to not have enough turkey.

Because you bought all dark meat, I assume that's what your guests prefer. I think a leg (drumstick and thigh) has a higher percentage of bone than the breast so I'd buy some extra to be sure you have enough.

Another thought...I know people who simply will not eat dark meat turkey. I personally think they're nuts, but unless you're sure all your guests prefer dark meat, you should have some breast available.
For another time, when all is said and done, a whole turkey is a better bet. I know my guests would gladly take home leftovers if I didn't want them.

Last edited:
Another thought...I know people who simply will not eat dark meat turkey. I personally think they're nuts, but unless you're sure all your guests prefer dark meat, you should have some breast available.
For another time, when all is said and done, a whole turkey is a better bet. I know my guests would gladly take home leftovers if I didn't want them.

I agree, next time go with a whole bird!!!

I would also work on the notion of leftovers.

Turkey can be used for cold sandwiches, turkey salad, hot turkey sandwiches, Thanksgiving casserole and on and on and on until all you have left is the carcass for the soup pot! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Have a great holiday!

OMG !!!!!! My husand just called me from my son's hockey game to tell me he just talked to his brother and he is going to come with his 2 daughters for dinner tommorow ..... I guess I am going to have to go back to the store to buy the smallest WHOLE TURKEY they have !!!!!!! Talk about being disorgnized (ME and my bright idea to down size Thanksgiving.....lol ) , Oh well The turkey legs won't go to waste and I can always buy a coup;e breast instead of a whole Turkey . I am very happy though that I will see my brother in law and my nièces . Thank you all my cooking friends for the advice .

Cookie...make sure you don't buy a frozen bird. It will never defrost in time for Thanksgiving tomorrow!

Excellent point, Kay!

My 20+ pounder has been thawing in the fridge for 6 days, and was still frozen in the middle when I took it out today. I did read something recently about cooking turkey from frozen. Apparently it's possible, just not the way I'd do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom