TV commercials - Good, Bad and Unspeakable.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
OK, we all hate to hate television commercials.

But don't you have a few you secretly think are cute and clever, and some you just wish you could get to them mute button on your remote fast enough?

For me, the hate and hate are anything that blasts me out of my seat when I'm trying to read a book. Hubby watches TV, then takes a break during a commercial. I'm sitting there, reading a book, and am suddenly blasted out.

The worst of these are car commercials. The volumes just blast me and almost knock me over. No, they'll never get my business because I finally got my own remote and hit "mute".

On the other hand, I kinda like a lot of the GEICO commercials, and admire whatever the ad agency is for trying a lot of different tries.

I think the commercial being louder than the show is a product of the station you are watching, not the commercial itself.

Actually, many, I can't say all, commercials are designed to be louder than programming. It's a method to get viewers' attention. Doesn't work on me as I've always practiced effective mute button control during commercials.

If advertisers relied on commercials to get me to purchase their goods or services, they'd all be broke. I've never been one to pay attention to written ads, particularly in magazines, and definitely do not pay heed to TV or radio commercials.

As for cute commercials, nothing comes to mind right now. So many of what I see on the tube are an insult to our intelligence and it's truly amazing how complex and sophisticated many of the current ads are. It's no wonder advertising is so expensive.

There are things I hate about commercials more than just specific commercials.

The voice on truck commercials has to be gruff sounding and tough guy- like.

Any product that uses completely unrelated graphics to sell their product. e.g. there is a transformer type robot in a futuristic battle to the death with an attractive woman (in a skin tight outfit). Laser bolts and explosions all over the place. The product - wireless telephone service.

Any commercial that trashes the competition to make themselves look better.

Car ads that pick and choose features to compare to other makes. "better mileage than a BMW, more rear seat leg room than a Lexus, More horsepower than an Acura." It suggests they're better than all those brands but in reality they may or may not be.

My favorite commercial of all time is the original Beggin Strips ad. Can't get enough of it.

Now I really like the Darth Vader/VW ad.

The honey badger with the cobra in his mouth, cracking pistashios! I want a honey badger.

I liked the one with the dog worried about his bone (Trouble, Worry Worry Worry) until it got overplayed.

Last edited:
My current favorite commercial because, well, you've seen the picture of my guys Tyson, Orange Julius, Tyrone Shoelaces, and Mr. Spock hanging out on the bed with Sebastien Corbetti, right?

Cat Man - YouTube

Last edited:
The Coors beer commercial with the Saint Bernards made me laugh every time it came on. Over 50 Saints have passed through our lives because of my involvement in Saint rescue. I could picture Saints who passed through our lives doing that.

Andy M. said:
My favorite commercial of all time is the original Beggin Strips ad. Can't get enough of it.

Now I really like the Darth Vader/VW ad.

This one wins for me as well as my DH! We just love it! I still buy the product for my "kids" pictured in my avitar.

The Darth Vader ad makes us stop whatever we are doing to watch it, it's fantastic. What a cool Dad!

The old Lifesaver add with the sun setting and the little kid says, "Do it again, Daddy."

PrincessFiona60 said:
The Darth Vader ad makes us stop whatever we are doing to watch it, it's fantastic. What a cool Dad!

The old Lifesaver add with the sun setting and the little kid says, "Do it again, Daddy."

It is great to see someone portrayed as a great dad. Too often people are portrayed as terrible parents and kids in charge. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I don't like seeing the dad look stupid, the mom looking like a witch and the children looking like they are the only smart ones in the room. The Darth Vator commercial is fantastic!

+1 chopper. i can't stand ads that make parents look dumb. or when men are made to look like complete idiots and the wife or gf just laughs at them or treats them like a child.

i also can't stand all of those viagara commercials. a bunch of 55 year old male models in a rock band, or fixing an old car? gimme a break. at least they should look like they know how to play the instruments, or use a too.

i probably watch more commercials than anyone here.

Last edited:
i like the hanes socks commercial for one reason and one reason only--to hear the father say "i'm sick of it" and have the young son parrot the phrase (as young boys will) - "SIKKovITT!!"--i listen for this little gem every time.... :)

Like that one too! And I catch myself thinking, they might have something there....

I am against all political/election commercials and all shock commercials for things like smoking and animal abuse.

The commercial I have always liked above all others is the Campbell's soup commercial with the little boy inside of a snowman that melts away as he eats his soup.

Makes me think of cream of tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwiches on a cold winter day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom