Tying some flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
I am tying some flies for salt water fishermen. Thought I would share a picture here.

img_1148260_0_42f92007a779c339f3e18ed7e6436a89.jpg

Very nice! I actually looked it up and saw some step by step illustrations... there is a lot of work that goes into that!

Just beautiful! What a cool hobby!

I know you said saltwater, and seeing your location, are these more for shallow water applications, light gear, like if I were in Florida and going for Redfish, or Tarpon?

Last edited:
it's tough to tell by the size, or guess the weight, but they're nice.
they look like flies to fish backwaters, for snook, sea trout (weakfish), red fish, permit, small cobia, and the like.

or they could be several ounces, for jigging for tarpon, goliath grouper, mackerel, tripletails, etc..

Just beautiful! What a cool hobby!

I know you said saltwater, and seeing your location, are these more for shallow water applications, light gear, like if I were in Florida and going for Redfish, or Tarpon?

The guy getting the two dozen I just tied is targeting Spanish Mackeral. I have used them to catch Mackeral and Blue Fish myself.

it's tough to tell by the size, or guess the weight, but they're nice.
they look like flies to fish backwaters, for snook, sea trout (weakfish), red fish, permit, small cobia, and the like.

or they could be several ounces, for jigging for tarpon, goliath grouper, mackerel, tripletails, etc..

Hook size is #1 and medium barbell eyes. The overall length is about 3.5-4 inches.

Thanks for the comments everyone.:)

Gravy Queen said:
They are indeed very pretty Paymaster. My husband loves to fish, but he can sit for hours in the house tying up pretty things (oh dear that came out all wrong....um).:)

:LOL: Been reading 50 Shades of Grey, GQ?

Last edited:
lol, gq and dawg.

paymaster, they're real beauties. your friend is a lucky guy.

we were in south florida just a few weeks ago and hit on a school of hundreds of spanish mackerel using live shrimp for bait.

one of the best days of fishing in my life.

we brought our catch to a local restaurant who cooked it for us. spanish mackerel is amazingly delucious, light and flaky. not strongly flavoured like king mackerel.

i'll have to try brightly coloured bucktsils the next time.

I'd have to ask my husband what he uses but I'd like to know what attracted the god awful creatures he brought home one day (looks for a photo). Bull huss. Ruddy big shark thing in my sink. Shudders.

Here it is :

Attachments

• Bull Huss.jpg
    Bull Huss.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 147
Back
Top Bottom