U.S. Scientists Discover Natural Agent That Kills Bacteria in Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
MINNEAPOLIS – U.S. scientists discovered a naturally-occurring agent that destroys the bacteria that cause meat, fish, eggs and dairy products to rot.

Researchers at the University of Minnesota reported the discovery of bisin -- a naturally-occurring compound produced by some types of bacteria.
The agent reduces the growth of bacteria including E. coli, salmonella and listeria and could lead to sandwiches that stay fresh for more than a year, The (London) Sunday Times reported.

The discovery also means that opened wine and products such as fresh salad dressing could last much longer -- in some cases for as long as several years. It could also lead to a reduction in the amount of food wasted and thrown away each year.

Bisin was discovered by University of Minnesota microbiologist Dan O'Sullivan. "It [bisin] seems to be much better than anything which has gone before," O'Sullivan said. "It doesn't compromise nutrient quality. We are not adding a chemical -- we are adding a natural ingredient."

Because bisin is chemically related to nisin, which is used to keep processed cheese sterile and edible for decades, it does not need to be pharmaceutically tested and could be on the market within a year.

Can't wait, that sound wonderful! I hate wasting food and try not to throw anything out unless I have to.

I can just see it; "Hand me that half loaf of wheat bread I bought last year, will you?" Or "We better finish off that casserole before it goes bad. It's already 2 years old." :LOL:

I can just see it; "Hand me that half loaf of wheat bread I bought last year, will you?" Or "We better finish off that casserole before it goes bad. It's already 2 years old." :LOL:

Or remember that lovely meal you made on my birthday 6 months ago? Yeah hunny we still have some in the fridge :LOL:

Pardon my suspicious mind, but this sounds like something that the Big Food Companies would buy, and then kill. After all, food lasting longer would mean we buy less, and would cut into their profits......

I ain't no doctor or scientist but I wonder....
If that stuff kills bacteria....I wonder what the long term effect would be on the human digestive tract?
Makes me nervous!

I ain't no doctor or scientist but I wonder....
If that stuff kills bacteria....I wonder what the long term effect would be on the human digestive tract?
Makes me nervous!

I agree, Hoot. The natural flora in our digestive systems are bacteria, this needs to be looked into more thoroughly.

Perhaps this only kills aerobic bacteria?
That would be sweet.

I agree, Hoot. The natural flora in our digestive systems are bacteria, this needs to be looked into more thoroughly.

Besides food, I can see it being being a fountain of youth face and body cream!!
img_1036962_0_0b640cf7b7fa88cc5f1ce925ede194dc.jpg

it's a "relative" of nicin - which is FDA approved and in use for years, apparently.

but close is not "the same" and indeed, I think I'll hold off . . .

oh, it's most effect against gram-positive bugs. which is only a small part of the bug universe.

it's a "relative" of nicin - which is FDA approved and in use for years, apparently.

but close is not "the same" and indeed, I think I'll hold off . . .

oh, it's most effect against gram-positive bugs. which is only a small part of the bug universe.

Which means it is partially effective against other bugs. Having read Susceptibility Reports from the labs on bacterial cultures, I am not sure I would want to ingest this without further studies into what it does, does not and only cripples in the bacterial kingdom. Too much playing with bacteria has created enough super-bugs.

I think that like everything else that is done, they'll do it without even telling us but about 10% of what they find out. Then we'll become their test subjects.

"Oh, we did tell you on page 4,398 of the heath report to west, downward slobovia. Didn't you get a copy?"

30 years later, when heath problems show up, they'll say; "We had no way of knowing that this would harm anyone."

Or, it might work perfectly and not harm anyone.

We'll find out the hard way as usual. :ohmy:

I think that like everything else that is done, they'll do it without even telling us but about 10% of what they find out. Then we'll become their test subjects.

"Oh, we did tell you on page 4,398 of the heath report to west, downward slobovia. Didn't you get a copy?"

30 years later, when heath problems show up, they'll say; "We had no way of knowing that this would harm anyone."

Or, it might work perfectly and not harm anyone.

We'll find out the hard way as usual. :ohmy:

I'm a bit worried about this being added to our food supplies. I already have a condition that causes GI distress, how will I know if it is a worsening of my condition or induced by the additive? I guess I'll figure it out when I am at death's door...

My landlord is going to be angry when I till up the courtyard to plant my own unadulterated foods.

Back
Top Bottom