Unique groceries you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
what's the last out of the ordinary grocery item you bought?
today i bought these jolly rancher lollipops that are hot and spicy. there are limon, tamarind and mango, and they definately have some kick to them!
i also got these miniature red bananas. they're pretty.
i always buy the wierd stuff. i love to try new things.

I bought a sweet/hot chili sauce, I think Vietnamese. It says it is "pour vollailes" which confuses me, because there's a chicken on the lable. Isn't chicken "poulet"???? Haven't gotten out my fr/eng dictionary to find out if that's a specific kind of chicken. At any rate I used it in our freindly neighborhood ongoing chicken wing experiments, and it was great. Today I'm using it in my southeast Asian cucumber salad dressing. bought it in an Asian grocery in Madison. But I have a history of educating customers and clerks in various stores in my life. "What is that?????" is a common question I get when shopping.

The weirdest thing that I can think of is Grapples. They look like apples, shape, size and the red/ gold color, and they have the texture of an apple, but ,they taste like grape. Weird.

Paul and I went to the local Indian food store today and bought a bunch of things. I've only had Indian food a few times and really don't care for it so.. everything we bought today is "weird" to me.

Fresh leeche nuts. I have seen them in cans, but I had never seem them fresh. I knew what they looked like from pictures so I was very lucky because there was no sign saying what they were. I am so happy I bought them. They were amazing!

I almost bought broccoli flower (I think that is what it is called) yesterday. It is a cross between broccoli and cauliflower. It is a light green color. I have had it before and it was expensive so I decided not to get it.

lol, geebs, i just bought those today! i only got 6 cause they were 6/$1 and i don't know if i like 'em or not yet. haven't tried them yet. now what on earth do you do w/ those things?

i've had brocciflower before; my Dad used to cook it for dinner a lot when i was a kid. i liked it a lot.

10.gif

i just tasted a lychee and it was so GOOD! i have to go buy more! i might just buy an entire case of them.

Middie ask someone in your local Chinese food place if they know where you can buy them. They just might know.

Lychees are awesome. It is in season here and people with lychee trees in their yards suddenly have lots of good friends.

My DH buys Patis (fish sauce) for his Filipino dishes. Flies come from miles away when he cooks. If you have smelled Patis, you know what I mean.:sick: But I must say, it gives food a good flavor.

I bought Peanut Butter Slices before...I looks like american cheese slices, accept its brown and is peanut butter. It's kinda cool.

Nope never bought anything weird but recently I bought a jar of hot chili peppers because I was craving the hot stuff that I had tasted in a mixture of beef stew meat, green beans and potatoes several years ago. A very good dish which is fried altogether in a skillet.:chef:

When I was single, and actively cooking Chinese for dinner, my fridge had all sorts of oddball things in it, like miso, Fish Sauce (Nam Pla), hoisin, oyster sauce, etc. I've bought both fresh and canned lychees, and the flavor is great!

I've bought live blue crabs, on a couple ocassions, and freaked out one of my neighbors with them :LOL:

Hey, luvs, did you - eat - one of those red bananas yet? :ROFLMAO:

AllenMI said:
When I was single, and actively cooking Chinese for dinner, my fridge had all sorts of oddball things in it, like miso, Fish Sauce (Nam Pla), hoisin, oyster sauce, etc. I've bought both fresh and canned lychees, and the flavor is great!

I've bought live blue crabs, on a couple ocassions, and freaked out one of my neighbors with them :LOL:

Hey, luvs, did you - eat - one of those red bananas yet? :ROFLMAO:

i just recently tried miso. i got miso soup as an app. when we went to the sushi bar. i used to have a jar of hoisin. someone probably threw it out, though, cause i haven't seen it latelyd.
as for live seafood, lol, my Parents bought us some lobsters one night and my Dad took one out of its box while they were in line to show this little boy. poor kiddo burst into tears.:ohmy: :LOL:
and yep, i ate a red banana.:-p as soon as i got home. my Mom and i thought they were just like regular bananas. those aren't the 1st wierd bananas we've had in the fruitbowl. the Folks brought some wierd bananas home before from i think marco island.

Luvs! You had Miso soup? How did ya like it? I really enjoy the stuff.

I buy odd things a lot. I have had 3.5 hours of sleep last night and Im TRYING to thing but nothing is comming out. :neutral:

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Luvs! You had Miso soup? How did ya like it? I really enjoy the stuff.

I buy odd things a lot. I have had 3.5 hours of sleep last night and Im TRYING to thing but nothing is comming out. :neutral:

yeah, sush, and i thought it was delicious. they carry miso at the health food store so i think i might buy some.
sorry you didn't sleep well. hope you sleep tight tonight.
19.gif

I did a fruit presentation when I was in college for a report. I had many different kinds of bananas on it. I made the mistake of eating a red banana, without cooking it.

lol, we can't possibly be speaking of the same thing, allen. if i cooked these little things before i'd tasted one i'd have lost my lunch.:-p they're just regular 'ol bananas but the peel is red and they're really little. my Mom concurred. just a regular 'ol banana with a red peel. not one bit of difference from a regular banana.
now, a plantain, i would want that cooked. but not a banana.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom