Up and Running!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
After 4 weeks of Internet withdrawls, we have a working PC again. Thanks to a friend giving me a monitor and a keyboard, I was able to get my desktop fired up and connected. It will probably be a week or so before I can get my laptop up and running. The OS is corrupted, and the rescue/recovery CD-ROM that I got with the laptop just moves the corrupted OS to another partition, then formats the rest of the HDD. I'll have to order a new CD-ROM with the actual OS on it, so I can completely wipe the HDD and re-install XP.

This means that I did loose some data. The last backup CD that I am sure I burned was dated March, 2006. I seem to think that I burned a backup shortly before I moved from MI, but I didn't label that one, and will have to look high and low for it.

The lost data will be pictures taken after March, some of my historical research data, and sadly, some of my recipes. The last time I did a file count on my laptop's HDD, I had somewhere around 3,546 recipes. I can't remember how many recipes I backed up in March, but I'm sure it was under 3,500. If I can find the disc I burned in October, then I'll have somewhere over that figure, but will still have lost a couple hundred.

Glad to see you back.:) I just got my DSL up and running. I was off-line for two weeks until 2 days ago. I could only get on at lunch on my work computer. I need to upgrade my OS from Win-98SE to something better so I can make use of my new DVD burner. Oh the pains of computing.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Reading all of your tales of woe with your computers, I now understand better why my security fanatic DH:angel: has blocked most of the "fun" things in our PC that others enjoy but at a price, as you all imply.:cool:

Glad to see you back. I know exactly what you went through. I have been on the telephone with Hewlett Packard for days and finally my computer is back and up to speed.

I finally gave in and got High Speed Internet and what a change.

Back
Top Bottom