USA 2 - Ghana 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps becaus the English, Welsh and the French has taken up rugby and perhaps American football developed from that.
American Football did indeed originally derive from Rugby, but other than the fact that both sports continue to use an elongated ball, they've gone down separate paths and there aren't many similarities these days. I found an interesting table of comparisons between the two sports:
American Football vs Rugby - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

There are surprisingly (at least to me) quite a large number of American Football teams in Europe, according to this website:
American Football in Europe

Be that as it may, while American Football is the most watched sport in this country, it remains little more than a curiosity to the rest of the world. Relegated to late night viewing, as you say.

I mean, of actual game play, not including the clock running, the instant replay, the time it takes for them to get back on line and get in formation, all the things that slow the pace of the actual game. There is no way that they are playing for an hour straight. Where as in Soccer, rugby, hockey, and a slew of other sports, they are almost constantly on the go.

Very true. And you are watching it on TV. When you go to a game, you get to see all the "time outs" in person. Usually players sitting on their helmets waiting for the time out to expire. Commercials are the biggest time consumer of three hour broadcast.

Perhaps becaus the English, Welsh and the French has taken up rugby and perhaps American football developed from that.

IT has been in the UK for quite a long time - initially matches between groups of American service men

There used to be (and may still be an American football team in Stockport (North West England) so there must have been other teams for them to play.

NFL used to feature on television a few years ago late at night but I don't know if it still does.

There seem to be quite a few teams in the UK. I've just found this -

List of American football teams in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Get ready for more. The NFL has sights on your land. They want as much revenue as possible and England is in their plans.
There is at least one NFL game on your land every season now, and word is they considering a franchise in England. So that would bring at least 7-8 games to England along with an American football team.

One thing I don't like about soccer is deciding the winner on penalty kicks to break a tie. But on the other hand, I don't think there's a better alternative. Scoreless or even sudden death overtimes can last for hours if permitted.
There's just something wrong about deciding a major match on PK's.

Last edited:
My Mexican friends are apoplectic. Mucho grief and sadness. DH watched the match, I did not. Something about the yellow card.

I'll be watching the game with my G-kids this afternoon. Met them this morning for breakfast at Denny's in Hollyweird. Game time is 1pm here on the left coast....sorry, the pic is turned left as well...:)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 138
I'll be watching the game with my G-kids this afternoon. Met them this morning for breakfast at Denny's in Hollyweird. Game time is 1pm here on the left coast....sorry, the pic is turned left as well...:)

Beautiful family r/f

What a pleasant thread to read. No sniping, backbiting, correcting, etc. I am the least sports fan you will find on this planet. But I have really enjoyed reading this thread. It seems we all are remembering that we have members from all around the globe. And when their team loses, we can offer real felt misery with them.

We all love a winner, but at the same time feel bad for the loser. Thanks folks for a good read. :angel:

Here ya go. To great of a picture to leave sideways.
Beautiful family there!

Attachments

• roadfix.jpg
    roadfix.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom