Using free email acct

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I'd like to create an email acct... yahoo, gmail, hotmail, something to that effect. I think these are supposed to be free, but maybe then they bombard you with advertising? At any rate, I believe some online orders have contributed to me being spammed on my "real" email acct.

Any suggestions? Is one different than another?

Thanks for any references.

I'd like to create an email acct... yahoo, gmail, hotmail, something to that effect. I think these are supposed to be free, but maybe then they bombard you with advertising? At any rate, I believe some online orders have contributed to me being spammed on my "real" email acct.

Any suggestions? Is one different than another?

Thanks for any references.

I've got one of each of the above and few others. I like to use them for the same reason you stated.

Gmail and Yahoo filter out the spam quite well and do have settings that you can control.

Hmm, Well I have both a Hotmail account, and a Yahoo account. I don't use my Yahoo account much, but i've been using Hotmail since i was 16. You can set it to have a high filter, where you only get mails from people you know, others they get sent to a 'junk' folder.

pacanis, a "free" account is a really good idea these days. I have a couple of yahoo accounts. One I use for my financial stuff so that if I change internet service providers, I don't have to change all my contact information with banks, utility companies, etc. Another one I use as my "consumer" address. Anytime I buy stuff off of an internet site or request info, etc, I use this address. I keep my main internet address mostly for personal correspondence and I email important stuff from the free accounts to this one to have as a back-up. I've had my Yahoo accounts for years.

I find that one of the worst offenders of propagating spam is the good meaning, but sometimes ignorant acquaintance that is a serial email 'forwarder'...... :mad:

Thanks for the responses.
So, no matter which one I go with, can I have the emails forwarded to my computer by setting up another email acct in Outlook, or do I have to access those emails from Yahoo's website (or whichever one)?

Any preferences on Google or Yahoo AAB? I couldn't even find where to sign up for Yahoo email on their site and I belong to user groups there.....

Thanks for the responses.
So, no matter which one I go with, can I have the emails forwarded to my computer by setting up another email acct in Outlook, or do I have to access those emails from Yahoo's website (or whichever one)?

Any preferences on Google or Yahoo AAB? I couldn't even find where to sign up for Yahoo email on their site and I belong to user groups there.....

You don't need to get your extra email through outlook, just go straight to the yahoo or google site.

Yahoo sign up should be at the top of Yahoo.com and click mail, you'll then have to register. If you want a gmail acct, PM me your email addy and I'll send you an invite (not necessary, but it's easier)

I have a few Yahoo accounts and they are great. Just go to the mail area and you will see where to sign up. It couldn't be easier.

Since they are free, set up one on Yahoo and one on Google or another provider and see what you like best. They automatically expire if not used.

I do not know how to forward yahoo mail, but my colleage has his sent to his Blackberry. That may be a function of the Blackberry though.

I love my gmail account. I can use it in conjunction with Outlook, which I use for my day to day email. I can file manage and delete at will, keeping my inbox to a minimum and easily organizing other topical folders. Sometimes, however, I do delete or cannot find certain past emails. When that happens, I sign on to my gmail webmail account that is unaffected by my file mismanagement on Outlook. Gmail maintains all of my history, and has a very convenient 'search' feature that will look through all of my email for a certain key word. Very cool.

I've been using a free Yahoo (I think they call it "Yahoo Classic) e-mail account since 2004 & love it. The calendar feature where you can send yourself reminders, post notes, etc., etc. is terrific, & the few times - maybe twice - wherein I had a glitch or a problem, customer service got in touch with me within 48 hours, which I consider pretty good for a free e-mail service.

The ads you get are a top banner & maybe one or two off to the side on the main page. They're so inconsequential I can't even really recall them.

You should be able to get e-mails sent to your mobile. I know that you can have calendar reminders sent just by clicking a box, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to also do that with e-mails. But I don't use those functions - just the regular e-mail & calendar on my PC.

Geez, I clicked sign me up and BAM! I was signed up. I guess because I was already a member of some Yahoo groups. It used that username and password.
The reason I couldn't find their email signup before was because I was trying to find it on the user group's main page. You need to go to Yahoo's main page.

So, I sent myself a test email five minutes ago to my Yahoo acct, with a smallish pic, and still haven't received it.... Maybe I need to refresh the page or something?
It always takes time getting used to new things.

I have used all of the ones mentioned and I like gmail the best by far. It is a bit different than the others and takes a little getting used to, but I think it is the most robust. I have 3 or 4 gmail accounts right now that I use for various reasons. One of the ones I have is for signing up for things where I think there is a chance my address might get spammed. Gmails spam filter works really well anyway though so spam really is not much of an issue for me anymore.

It is always good to keep a few 'disposable' email accounts on hand, but I just use the ones my ISP provides. I don't need more than one service as my ISP allows up to 5 email addresses. I have one and DW has one that is used for personal and her business. Then we each have one that we use for signing up on the net for things, then disposable ones you could call them. When the spam gets too much, we just chance them. All of them are managed thru Outlook so even when we change the disposable ones, we don't loose any information, contacts, or saved emails.
I also have a yahoo account but never use it. Any of the online email accounts can also be run thru Outlook if that is what you want.

I have hotmail, yahoo, gmail, a local one, and iwon. LOL I use my hotmail account for most things. I really like gmail (just got that one not too long ago) and may switch to it for more things. I mostly have yahoo because I belong to some yahoo groups and my daughter and I play their games. I have the iwon account mostly because I enter their daily sweepstakes (they have changed how they do it now though, and I don't go there as much. I just got the local one when we signed up for DSL there last month. I don't use it much. One thing I like about using a free one for my main email address is that if we move or if we change ISPs, I don't have to go through the hassle of giving everyone a new email address. Of all my accounts, the one I have had the most trouble with is yahoo.

:)Barbara

lol, figures the first one I try is the one someone had the most problems with....

Back
Top Bottom