Very Short Quiz for People Over 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bigjim68 said:
Many of the environmentalists who are concerned about the environment live on this stuff, than throw the bottle away.

I would hope that, if they really are "environmentalists", they are recycling the bottles. When we first moved to our little town, there was no recycling service. My hubby and a friend started a recycling program all staffed by volunteers, and put recycling bins (that hubby designed and built) all over town. It has been very successful, and they have recycled TONS of plastic that would have been littering the sides of the streets. I'm very proud of them.

Karen: For me, the best way to recycle is to not use the product in the first place. No one has called me an envoronmentalist, but I do recycle everything possible. If I lived where water is suspect, as you do, I would probably use bottled water in large reusuable jugs, if possible.

As a kid there may have been statements about the cost of water, I can't say for sure.

My Favorite bottled water? Funny you should ask.

Yesterday I was on a photographic walk about / Drive around. I was getting really dry , stopped by a convienance store , looked through all the coolers , then grabbed my favorite ... a gallon jug marked Spring Water. $1.19

My favorite brand(s) have screw lids, the snap on lids tend to pop off when the jug is bouncing around the floor of the 4x4.

I want to know how many of you from California can remember before they had standards for water, and it was all but un-drinkable. Not kidding. I lived there in the seventies, and my mom, a true cheapskate if there ever was one, bought bottled water because it was so terrible (Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, 1971-73). If you can see your water, should you be drinking it? The last time I visited California, my friends and relatives there laughed, remembering when the water was so bad! (I.e., from the mojave desert to the northern most reaches!). Florida was the same way. She had to bring water from her house to all of her relatives' homes! Is it something about being near the ocean?

Clair, I went to college in a small town in NH called Rindge. When refering to the water we called it the Rindge Tinge. It was brown, very brown. They claimed it was safe, but who would seriously drink that stuff? My parents and friends used to save all their empty soda bottles for me and anytime I would go home or someone would come to visit they would take soda bottles filled with clean tap water.

Oh! I must say that when we were on the road for several years, I did purify my water. Not because local water was bad, just that when you drink as much water as I do, you get the D-word when you change locales. So I am inclined to buy a bottle of water when I'm traveling. I think the ultimate was when living in Florida, I thought our water was great, but have a sis who'd drink nothing but bottled (modern times, not those years when the water was pretty much undrinkable). So I went to Sams and bought a case of water. Guess what? It said it was taken from the Miami aquafer. Huh? In other words, I was paying for pretty much the same water that came from my tap!

When I first heard about single serve bottled water, I was a route driver for Coca-Cola. We all laughed about it. After all, who in thier right mind was going to pay for something that you could get from your tap at home? Boy were we wrong.
#2, I don't buy bottled water. Luckily we have very good tap water in Baltimore.

Bigjim68 said:
If I lived where water is suspect, as you do, I would probably use bottled water in large reusuable jugs, if possible.

The garafons are cleansed, disinfected (I hope) and reused, many many times. When they develop leaks (as they inevitably do), the distributors here in town bring them to the recycle yard and they are recycled. The problem is with the single serving size bottles that people grab from the cooler at the corner tienda. Most people here are on foot, and as they walk down the street and finish their bottle of water, there is nowhere to throw the empty except the street. But our experience here has been that, if we provide recycling bins on the street, people will use them.

GB, my parents are from NH and I will never forget going to my granparents' home and seeing a huge, claw footed bathtub. But when bath time came, we got 3 or 4 inches of rust colored water. Ugh! Here they put so much chlorine in the water that at times I feel like I'm bathing in a swimming pool. No, I actually owned a swimming pool once, and I swear there was less chlorine in it. If I had kids I'd still make them drink tap water for the fluoride.

Back
Top Bottom