Very sick grandbaby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this just makes my heart sick reading things like this.
we'd all take these awful occurrances from them if only we could.
of course I said a prayer just now.
please keep us posted...

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Little Jesse has been diagnosed with Type I diabetes. This is not the kind that can be controlled by diet and/or pills. His pancreas is simply not making any insulin, and he will have to have 4 insulin shots a day for the rest of his life (unless a cure for diabetes is found, which could happen in his lifetime).

He's not doing well with the needles. His veins are small and hidden, like his mother's, so the blood work is difficult, requiring multiple pokes, and when he had to have a shot in his belly yesterday, he really threw a fit.

My daughter is an extremely protective mother, and she is devastated that something has happened to her boy that she couldn't prevent.

Thankfully, they are at one of the best children's hospitals in the nation, and besides excellent medical care for the boy, the whole family is receiving counseling and training.

Thank you so much for your update on your precious grandson. Continued support and prayers for him - Bless that little boy !

Diabetes is very difficult for a child to deal with, particularly when it has its onset when children are a bit older. At that age they are used to certain eating patterns and injections and needle sticks take a while to get used. to.

Younger kids adapt better.

His life will have to be very different than it has been. Fortunately there are many new devices that make sugar control much easier than it was several years ago.

But he is going to need all kinds of support. Know you will give it to him, know he could not have asked for anyone better to do it.

All best wishes.

soryy to hear your little grand is sick connie.

sending good thoughts, vibes, and prayers for his speedy recovery.

Oh my, I hope he is going to be well really soon. I wish him fast and complete recovery. But the first doctor was an idiot, in situation like that he should have called St. Louis, what moron.

Are they going to put him on the pump. That thing is a miracle imo. There is alot of help these days for type 1. my mom has been type 1 for over 40 years. Glad that you found out what was causing his sickness. The counseling and training is really important for the parents.
A 10 year old boy in my sunday school class that i used to teach has type 1 and he is doing great. He uses the pump and chugs right along. good luck

Matt Thomas

I'm soooo sorry to read about this and am sending my thoughts and prayers to you. It's good to hear that they have pin pointed the problem.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Little Jesse has been diagnosed with Type I diabetes. This is not the kind that can be controlled by diet and/or pills. His pancreas is simply not making any insulin, and he will have to have 4 insulin shots a day for the rest of his life (unless a cure for diabetes is found, which could happen in his lifetime).

He's not doing well with the needles. His veins are small and hidden, like his mother's, so the blood work is difficult, requiring multiple pokes, and when he had to have a shot in his belly yesterday, he really threw a fit...
Would an insulin pump be an option? One of the third graders at the school I used to work at had one. Otherwise, will Jesse have to receive any shots at school from the school nurse? The school nurse here is really good and is on top of things, but she is only at the school three days a week. Someone else is in charge of handing out medications when she isn't there, but if the kid doesn't remember to go in, they don't always get done when they are supposed to. I'm seriously not trying to scare you--I am just trying to get across the point that no matter how good anyone else's intentions are, Jesse is going to have to learn to take control of his disease early on.

A diabetes diagnosis is really scary, but as many people in my groups have discovered, they have actually become healthier since being diagnosed because they are now paying more attention to their health than they used to. It is always hardest though, when your child is diagnosed.

:)Barbara

DD hasn't mentioned an insulin pump, Barbara. The Dr may think it's best that they learn to do the shots. They were in a class today with other diabetic children and their parent, and practiced giving each other shots with saline solution.

In regard to shots at school, our town is small, and all the children are in the same complex. Not only will the nurse remember, but his teacher will also remember to send him at lunch time. He has a cell phone, and his mother will probably call and remind him, too. :angel:

I sent my daughter a link to this thread. She has her laptop with her, and I know it will make her feel good to know so many nice people are keeping her family in their thoughts.

That's good to hear Constance. I didn't want to sound all gloom-and-doom--most of the time I'm sure there are no problems at school. I'm glad he is learning how to do the shots. Being young, I'm sure he will handle it a lot better than a lot of adults! I am Type II and just on a couple pills a day, and I keep forgetting to take my evening pill. Sheesh. I have an alarm set on my computer to remind me, but if I forget to turn the alarm on each time I turn the computer on it doesn't do me any good! In fact, I have an alarm set in the other room too, but I don't always hear it. I should move it into the living room.

Continued prayers for Jesse and family.

:)Barbara

HEck yeah, im gald for the progress. medical technology is awesome. living in america we have good health care, health insurance may be a little tweaked but still have good doctors and nurses (especially cute ones that are single.) so the children gave their parents shots with saline? thats cool. thats a good way to show support for the child. It makes me smile when i hear about parents doing amzing things for their children. There is so much help these days for children its amazing. best of luck and keep us updated.

An update on Jesse...He's ready to go back to school, but now schools closed due to weather! My daughter did go back to work today, and her boss had a special gift for the boy. He's quite a WWE wrestling fan, and there were four tickets for him to the show in Cape Girardeau, about an hour from here. Since he's an only child, he can even take his best friend!

Health-wise, he's still struggling with his glucose (sugar) level. DD calls in to his doctor (Yaya, I think) in St. Louis every morning with his readings from the previous day. Dr. Y, in turn, is in daily communication with Jesse's local doctor.
The boy's levels start out OK in the morning (no higher than 180), but by bedtime, it's up to 400, so Dr. Y's going to up the insulin again.
She explained to DD that they want to adjust it a little at a time, so they can get just the right amount. This will take time, I guess.

Quite frankly, I'm still awfully worried about my little boy, and probably will continue to be until they can get this thing under control.

What a wonderful boss!!!!!! Things will get straightened out for the little guy.

Hang in there "daughter of OURS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all send you and your little guy our best!

You have no idea how much I appreciate you all!

I think I mentioned above that I sent my daughter a link to this thread, and let me tell you, she is so grateful for your support.

She was terrified at first, but now "strong woman" is kicking in. Strong women tend to run in my family.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom