Veterinarian Visit Day -- Rrrrrrrrrrr!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatPat

Washing Up
I had to bring my two cats and my very large dog to the Veterinarian's office today at 1:00pm for their annual checkups and their shots.

Azia, my dog was quite happy of this! But the cats were a very different story.

At the beginning, I had to stuff the cats into this large crate. Kali desired no part of this and clawed my hand and arm. I was bleeding very impressively by the time I slammed the crate door closed.

Misty bolted to under the bed. I am very luckily a small person of 5'2" and 93 pounds so I was able to slide under the bed, snatch her by the scruff of her neck and drag her out. I opened the crate door and threw her inside and closed the door just in time so Kali would not escape.

I put the crate in Joy, and Azia followed me and sat in her customary passenger front seat.

As soon as I pressed the button to start Joy, the cats began to yowl. This was nearly deafening, and Azia growled at them.

The veterinarian had a difficult time of dragging Misty and Kali from the crate. He said very nicely that they had quite the "personalities." This was not of personalities. This was of two cats who hate crates, cars, veterinarians and me.

When I got all of these animals back to home, Misty and Kali hissed at me and I have not seen them since then. They are perhaps in my closet or under my bed, and I have no desire to go to find them. Azia, of course, did not complain and she is fine with this.

I am quite grateful this happens only once a year. If there is more of this, I shall need a tranquilizer gun and to teach myself to use it.

I have not lost a significant amount of blood this time, which is a very good thing. It is my hope that Kali and Misty do not decide to take revenge upon me in my sleep.

Your friend,
~Cat

Hilarious, Cat! Glad you all survived! Cats are horrid patients and travelers, and they never forgive or forget.

I spent almost an entire day trying to remove the sutures from Latté, when we had her spade. She was not being cooperative at all. So it took an hour to get her into her carrier, more non-cooperation. At least she doesn't yowl in the car. I got her to the vet and the assistant reached in and got her, no problem. Within 1 minute they had the sutures removed and she was back in the carrier, she never even blinked or struggled.

Brat kitty for sure.

So very true, Dawgluver! I am afraid to sleep tonight.

That certainly is a brat kitty, Princess Fiona!

Your friend,
~Cat

It takes my brother and I about half an hour to force my cat, Burt, into his basket. I am pretty sure he has an extra set of legs (and claws) that come out only when it is basket time.

From the moment he is shoved into it, he starts with the most appalling wailing - to all intents and purposes it sounds like he is the victim of terrible torture. He maintains this hideous and loud wailing in the car, and in the vets' waiting room (which is highly embarrassing), and then he is like a little angel with the vet. As soon as we leave the consulting room, he is back to wailing as loudly as he can and stays that way until we release him at home. (He doesn't come out from behind the sofa until hunger gets the better of him).

The little darling! (I love him to bits of course.) :)

I can take the top off my cat carrier.

I can take the top "gate" off. Or detach the whole top half. Or just the front gate. (Burt has luxury travel accommodation with mattress and attachable feeding/drinks bowl).

Burt has a special way of evading each and every entrance. :wacko:

I had a third-hand Dalmation who was the biggest baby. All my dogs have loved riding in the car, not her. She KNEW we were headed to either the vet or the boarder. When at the vet, she screamed, catterwalled, howled and wailed, tried to hide under the bench or crawl in my lap the whole time. The vet would have to be on hands and knees to reach under the bench and drag her out.

When I had cats many years ago, I neglected to use a carrier in the car. They embedded their claws in my scalp and shoulders on our way to the vet, made it tough to drive.

I had a third-hand Dalmation who was the biggest baby. All my dogs have loved riding in the car, not her. She KNEW we were headed to either the vet or the boarder. When at the vet, she screamed, catterwalled, howled and wailed, tried to hide under the bench or crawl in my lap the whole time. The vet would have to be on hands and knees to reach under the bench and drag her out.

When I had cats many years ago, I neglected to use a carrier in the car. They embedded their claws in my scalp and shoulders on our way to the vet, made it tough to drive.
That was the idea. They knew who was controlling the moving vehicle insanity and they were trying to make you stop doing it. :LOL:

When I didn't have the money to buy a cat carrier, I used to stuff the cat in a pillow case. I would put a rope or string through the casing and tie it shut. Most cats like to have their heads out, so they can see. If anyone ever does this, remember you should be able to put two fingers between the cat's neck and the pillow case. Don't want to strangle kitty or have it get out. Sucha preferred the pillow case to the carrier, but she didn't want her head out.

I finally made pillows out of unwashed t-shirts that I had worn, now the cats sit in their carriers without problem. If I try to zip them up, though...escape artists!

It takes my brother and I about half an hour to force my cat, Burt, into his basket. I am pretty sure he has an extra set of legs (and claws) that come out only when it is basket time.

From the moment he is shoved into it, he starts with the most appalling wailing - to all intents and purposes it sounds like he is the victim of terrible torture. He maintains this hideous and loud wailing in the car, and in the vets' waiting room (which is highly embarrassing), and then he is like a little angel with the vet. As soon as we leave the consulting room, he is back to wailing as loudly as he can and stays that way until we release him at home. (He doesn't come out from behind the sofa until hunger gets the better of him).

The little darling! (I love him to bits of course.) :)

My little "darlings" were not better than yours!
Your friend,
~Cat

Last edited:
Thank you all for these funny (and often of maddening) stories! Cats are sometimes making us frustrated, but when I look of them, they are very much amazing little ones.

Your friend,
~Cat

Thank you all for these funny (and often of maddening) stories! Cats are sometimes making us frustrated, but when I look of them, they are very much amazing little ones.

Your friend,
~Cat

Did your DA already have these cats and the dog CatPat? You seem to have enough to cope with!

No. When I arrived here, I do miss my pets at home. We have a dog and three cats I missed very much. DA and Gwen gave me a ride to the pet shelter and I was able to choose my pets. I chose the two kittens and I chose an older dog which was 3 years old.

The dog was to be put away the next day so I took her. She is my very precious Azia.

The two kittens were not the littermates but they do act like they are sisters!

Your friend,
~Cat

My granddaughter's Siamese cat Sasha was totally devoted to her. All she had to do was call her and because Sasha trusted her completely, she would go and walk right into the cat carrier for a trip to the vets. No howling, or trying to avoid the whole experience. Now trusting the vet, that was another story of horror. Unfortunately Sasha would get that dreaded clip on her neck. Once the clip came off, she would jump right into my GD's arms. And back into the carrier she would go. Sometimes my GD would take Sasha with her if she was going to make a quick run to the store. Only she wouldn't use the carrier. Sasha would sit on the passenger seat. Dangerous. I was constantly on her case about it. She got the message when she had to slam on the brakes and Sasha went flying into the dashboard. Lesson learned. :angel:

My SIL has a diabetic cat. When he first started getting a nightly shot they would put him on a table, her hubby would hold the cat down wearing leather raptor handler gloves, and she would stick the cat. Kitty is now used to it, hops on the table himself, and she gives the shot unassisted.

My cat is a hellion on wheels for me, then acts like a purrfect angel at the vet's. Grrrr...:glare:

I love these stories! These make me feel as if I am not alone with these cat problems! Oh and some dog problems.

It is late tonight of 2:28 am and Misty and Kali have come from their hiding places to visit me. I am up of late studying and writing in my journal.

They seem to have recovered from their experience today. In the next time of our visit to the vet, I may just use some of the duct tape and to not worry about stuffing them into the crate.

I am joking!

Your friend,
~Cat

My SIL has a diabetic cat. When he first started getting a nightly shot they would put him on a table, her hubby would hold the cat down wearing leather raptor handler gloves, and she would stick the cat. Kitty is now used to it, hops on the table himself, and she gives the shot unassisted.

My cat is a hellion on wheels for me, then acts like a purrfect angel at the vet's. Grrrr...:glare:

Rrrrrrrrr! I am of the belief they do this to just embarrass us. But my cats were terrible ones at the veterinarian. I seem to be one of these exceptions.

This may not be a good thing.

Your friend,
~Cat

I have found wrapping a cat in a towel and standing the carrier up on its end helps get the cat in the carrier.
If I was only bringing Sucha to the vet, I would put her in the pillow case and hold it closed, then put her in the carrier. She didn't mind the carrier. She just didn't like being put in it. She would walk out of the pillow case and not be the least bit upset that she was in the carrier. But, if I tried to put her in it without the pillow case, that little cat could stretch and stiffen her limbs so much it was impossible to get her in. If I had tried using any more force, I would have worried about breaking her bones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom