Vintage Foods Were Not Always The Best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm not sure if vintage is the right word.

old, freakish, and possibly drug inspired dishes that most people never heard of is probably better.

A friend serves a Tomato Aspic that she says is a very old American recipe from the south. She says you must use flavourless gelatine NOT lemon jello. I have to confess that with home grown heritage/heirloom tomatoes it is remarkably delicious and refreshing on a hot evening.

I have a recipe for (savoury) tomato ice cream to serve with brown bread and butter or prawns, lobster or crab as a first course or for lunch. It comes from Robin McDouall's "A Pocket Guide to Good Cooking published 1955.

I also have a recipe from Ruth Lowinsky's "Lovely Food" (1931) for a tomato ice which is like a granita. I've served this at a dinner party and it went down very well.

Frozen gazpacho is good too.

As to the rest ....YUCK!

Last edited:
Bananas with hollandaise and ham? Horrific....

My mother in law used to serve one of these horrible dishes. it had some fancy name that I can't recall....

Condensed tomato soup in a pan (no water)
Crack several eggs into soup and heat, stirring until it's mixed and extra clotted.
Serve over toast "points"
Sprinkle on a little parsley

wretched.

Last edited:
Actually I have an old, good recipe for tomato and potato salad mould. It's new potato mashy styled salad (that has some chopped boiled egg in it) sandwiched between layers of set tomato juice (using aspic). Looks attractive and tastes nice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom