Virtual Iron Chef Cookoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to voluntieer to judge. Sounds like great fun! Good idea Goodweed!!!

How about these as starters for some ground rules. Let me know what everyone thinks:

Main Ingredient: $25 per lb. limit. That would eliminate many things that would not be available to many people, especially those not as fortunate to live near the ocean or have access to the more regional specific foods.

Other Ingredients: $25 limit plus whatever you have on hand. You don't NEED to buy a whole sack of potatoes for the competion just because it's cheaper by the pound. Just buy one or two.

Pantry: Whatever you have on hand. Chances are, if you don't have something like truffle oil in your pantry you normally don't cook with truffle oil to begin with and it wouldn't be part of your repertoire. If you want to use part of your $25 limit to buy truffle oil then so be it.

Time Limit: Two hours total prep and cooking time. If your only idea for a dish is that it needs to be braised for 4 hours then it's not going to work. If that's all you know how to do then you shouldn't be in the competition anyway. Conversely, the secret ingredient can't be something like a chuck roast or veal shanks.

Photos: Take multiple digital pictures from different angles to give the judges more to work with. The judges can't taste anything so they can only "eat" with their eyes.

Along with the photo of the dish... since we can't do a taste test, how about a list of ingreds?

ironchef said:
...Pantry: Whatever you have on hand. Chances are, if you don't have something like truffle oil in your pantry you normally don't cook with truffle oil to begin with and it wouldn't be part of your repertoire. If you want to use part of your $25 limit to buy truffle oil then so be it.

But truffle oil is normally in my pantry:) . We splurge every other month or so and get a bottle down in Petoskey Michigan, with some good olive oil as well. Now shrimp on the other hand, well you can pay $25.00 on a package of shrimp around her, and that's only for 2 lbs or the stuff.:(

But I get what you mean, and agree. This has to be affordable for everyone. The key will be creativity and quality with what is normaly available to everyone. Good idea.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed fo the North

Ok, so we have a judge, and we have a moderator. We could use a few more judges. Now we need to know who the contestants are, the date/time, and the theme ingredient. I'm looking forward to this.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm in no way qualified to take part in something like this; however, I would love to participate! I just think it'd be fun and would challenge me beyond my normal boundaries.

How would it work with the secret ingredient though? We'd have to have some idea ahead of time in order to purchase the ingredient because I, for one, simply don't keep mountains of white truffles on hand at the best of times (read: ever!).

Assuming timeframes allow for it, I'd be very interested in participating, I just think it sounds fun!

Silver said:
I'm in no way qualified to take part in something like this; however, I would love to participate! I just think it'd be fun and would challenge me beyond my normal boundaries.

How would it work with the secret ingredient though? We'd have to have some idea ahead of time in order to purchase the ingredient because I, for one, simply don't keep mountains of white truffles on hand at the best of times (read: ever!).

Assuming timeframes allow for it, I'd be very interested in participating, I just think it sounds fun!

That's the spirit wer're looking for. I'll contact my "assistant" and see when he's available. And here's a thought. we don't all have to cook our meals on the same date as they will be judged by pictures, list of ingredients, and a blow-by-blow explanation of cooking techniques used. We just have to make sure we submit the meal by an agreed upon date. I will suggest that all submissions be posted by Feb. 1. Judges will do their thing and give us their results based on their own schedules as well. This elliminates the problem with time zones and will allow more people to participate. And it also will give the judges time required to judge accurately, based on the number of entries.

The submissions must include several pictures of all foods prepared and plated, and will include a detailed explanation of cooking techniques, and a list of ingredients used for each dish. Each submission must include at least one main dish, two sides, and a desert. All dishses must include the theme ingredient, including the desert and should task the contestant to expand his/her cooking skills.

As was suggested, a ceiling of $25 U.S. is allowed for ingredient purchase, with common ingredients to your own pantry allowed for seasonings, herbs, and spices. In other words, if you normally have truffle oil in your pantry, go ahead and use it. If you normally have Panko bread-crumbs in your pantry, use them as well. But if prepared demi-glace isn't in there, you would have to dip into that $25 dollar spending limit to purchase it.

The honor system is th rule here. And since this is about expanding your cooking abilities, and competing in a freindly and fun way with your fellow DC freinds, no cheating.

It should be allowable to have family members or freinds assist the contestant in food preperation. But please don't invite your next door neighbor who is a chef at the nearby 5-star restaurant. You wouldn't be expressing your own creativity.

I think that about sums it up. And if something you are trying flops, then admit that in your submission. Maybe it was a great idea and just needs a bit of tweeking. And we can all help with that.:chef:

In my case, I will try to create new dishes without the aid of cookbooks, relying on present skills and cooking knowledge.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
That's the spirit wer're looking for. I'll contact my "assistant" and see when he's available. And here's a thought. we don't all have to cook our meals on the same date as they will be judged by pictures, list of ingredients, and a blow-by-blow explanation of cooking techniques used. We just have to make sure we submit the meal by an agreed upon date. I will suggest that all submissions be posted by Feb. 1. Judges will do their thing and give us their results based on their own schedules as well. This elliminates the problem with time zones and will allow more people to participate. And it also will give the judges time required to judge accurately, based on the number of entries.

The submissions must include several pictures of all foods prepared and plated, and will include a detailed explanation of cooking techniques, and a list of ingredients used for each dish. Each submission must include at least one main dish, two sides, and a desert. All dishses must include the theme ingredient, including the desert and should task the contestant to expand his/her cooking skills.

As was suggested, a ceiling of $25 U.S. is allowed for ingredient purchase, with common ingredients to your own pantry allowed for seasonings, herbs, and spices. In other words, if you normally have truffle oil in your pantry, go ahead and use it. If you normally have Panko bread-crumbs in your pantry, use them as well. But if prepared demi-glace isn't in there, you would have to dip into that $25 dollar spending limit to purchase it.

The honor system is th rule here. And since this is about expanding your cooking abilities, and competing in a freindly and fun way with your fellow DC freinds, no cheating.

It should be allowable to have family members or freinds assist the contestant in food preperation. But please don't invite your next door neighbor who is a chef at the nearby 5-star restaurant. You wouldn't be expressing your own creativity.

I think that about sums it up. And if something you are trying flops, then admit that in your submission. Maybe it was a great idea and just needs a bit of tweeking. And we can all help with that.:chef:

In my case, I will try to create new dishes without the aid of cookbooks, relying on present skills and cooking knowledge.

Ugh Feb. 1st? Really?
I'm going to Dominican Republic from 28th - 4th :( I have exams and work until the 27th.

goboenomo said:
Ugh Feb. 1st? Really?
I'm going to Dominican Republic from 28th - 4th :( I have exams and work until the 27th.

That was just a suggestion, and I had changed it to the 15th. But we need to figure out what the best date would be. So let us know what would be good for you. And everyone else interested do the same. Then we can hammer out a date.

The 15th would be fine. I'm back from my trip, my girlfriend will still be at school, and it'll be the short period before I switch from what I'm working now, until completely full time.

:O the 16th is mine and my gf's 1 year!

so we need official judges, and a moderator to pick a theme ingredient, or maybe we can all just aggree on a thme ingredient. I know that I've been thinking about a theme that is truly universal. The most universal foods I know of are wheat, rice, and eggs. I remember reading somewhere that cabbage is the most universal veggie on the planet. I'm up for anything, as long as it's available. And remember, it has to be used in the main course, the sides, and the desert.

Myself, I'm going to nominate the humble egg. It's cheap, available everywhere, and is so versatile. So let's submit on the 15th. We now need a list of contestants, and judges.

I just saw this thread - how cool! Goodweed, you da bomb! My kitchen should be in full remodel mode during February and March - but I would love to be an audience member! If I felt I was experienced enough to judge I would, but like I said, I don't think I qualify. Maybe after watching some "episodes" I will be! Very cool!

Silver said:
who will be the chairman/person/whatever politically correct term is used now?

whoever that is chooses the ingredient, no?

That is correct. Unfortunately, our chairperson is ill and won't be available, at least for the first competition. So we are hoping someone will step up and voluteer to chair/moderate this competition.

Back
Top Bottom