Virtual Iron Chef Cookoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
What say we try to figure out a way to have a virtual Iron Chef Cookoff? We will need judges, a moderator, and would-be chef's. The moderator would give the contestants the "secret ingredient". The competing chefs would then "create" new and interesting recipes using the secret ingredient. The judges of course would have to select which recipes looked the best.

I think that a given and agreed upon date and time for posting would be essential for the chef's. And the judge's rulings would be final.

Any takers? Also, ideas for rules need to be discussed and agreed upon.
And a list of people who want to participate needs to be drawn. Pairings would be performed by the moderator based on the supposed skills of the contestants.

Also, the recipes should be something that we could actually try, and should be creative.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i'd moderate. due to my culinary schooling, i've gotten rather adept at critiqueing dishes & i'm professionally taught to critique.

Last edited:
I think I'd like to give it a try, but not against Ironchef. He's a bit beyond my skill:chef: and has access to much better ingredients. But then, that's why we have a moderator.

Ok, so let's flesh this thing out. Anyone want to take a stab at setting up rules?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sounds like a fun idea!!! I agree that posting a picture would be plus!
I would probalby not participate due to time etc..Would it be fair to those who are not professional chefs to compete with those who are? Maybe two catergories? Two winners...and maybe an over-all Grand champion...

Again a great idea!

Here's a stab at some rules. These are open for discussion of course.

1. All recipes must be made from scratch, i.e. can't use ready made sauces, or pre-cooked items, except where fresh ingredients are not available, such as tomatoes and herbs/spices, etc.

2. All recipes must be made within a specified time period. That time period should not exceed 2 hours (we don't have multiple stoves, ovens, and cooking equipments like they do in kitchen stadium). honor system will govern this, or there could be a start and finish time provided by athe moderator nd agreed upon by the contestants.

3. Can have more than 2 contestants per contest.

4. Secret ingredient must be commonly available to all contestants.

5. Food requirements should include at least 1 entre', two or more sides, and a desert. All portions must utilyse the theme ingredient.

6. Contestants must do their own cooking, plating, and presentation. Helpers can be used under the direction of the head cook.

7. Contestants must not alter (enhance) the photograghs, except to make up for the weakness of the camera equipment. The photo must resemble, as close as possible, the actual food.

8. If anyone makes "trout ice cream" the rest of us will boo and hiss loudly.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The rules sound pretty good, goodweed. While I won't be in the running, I'll certainly watch with bated breath.

Goodweed of the North said:
8. If anyone makes "trout ice cream" the rest of us will boo and hiss loudly.:ROFLMAO:
got that right! (although I wasn't excited about the lobster ice cream they made either!)

Last edited:
jkath said:
The rules sound pretty good, goodweed. While I won't be in the running, I'll certainly watch with baited breath.

got that right! (although I wasn't excited about the lobster ice cream they made either!)

Hopefully, that breath won't be baited with trout ice cream.:LOL:

I wonder if the phrase "baited breath" comes from a person eating or drinking a certain flavor to make their breath more agreeable in the hopes of "catching" the favor of a particular person. And if so, would that mean that a young man or woman should stay away from, say, sardines while trying to catch the attention of a perspective SO?:ROFLMAO:

Question on the no pre-cooked ingredients: would that apply to something like tomato paste? Its not really a ready-made sauce and is pretty much the same everywhere you go. And for that matter, things like mayo, mustard, if you chose to use them? I don't really have any idea how to make mustard, but I know that having to make your own mayo for a dish would add some steps and some time, in adition to the fact that some folks probably dont know how.

Was this meant to be restrictive more to to ready-made pasta sauces, etc? Like Ragu and Classico? If so, I think the rules should be modified to make that maybe a little more clear.

college_cook said:
Question on the no pre-cooked ingredients: would that apply to something like tomato paste? Its not really a ready-made sauce and is pretty much the same everywhere you go. And for that matter, things like mayo, mustard, if you chose to use them? I don't really have any idea how to make mustard, but I know that having to make your own mayo for a dish would add some steps and some time, in adition to the fact that some folks probably dont know how.

Was this meant to be restrictive more to to ready-made pasta sauces, etc? Like Ragu and Classico? If so, I think the rules should be modified to make that maybe a little more clear.

As making items such as tomato sauce and tomato paste are extremely time consuming, and require particular ingredients that aren't always readily available, I think it would be ok to use them. Personally, if a recipe called for something like a bechemel, or veloute', I'd make those. But if it called for a demi glace, I'd avoid the recipe and substitute something else. Also, prepared oils such as truffle oil would be nearly impossible to make, but can be purchased fairly readily.

And yep, I was reffering to things like pre-made macaroni and cheese, Ragu brand spaghetti sauce, Cambell's Soup, etc.

And anyone that owuld use Hamburger Helper for this contest, well, they just shouldn't be entering.:ROFLMAO:

The idea is to create recipes using fresh ingredients, so far as is practical for us everyday people. We obviously can't afford or even get the amazing stuff they can get on the telivised show. We have neither the monetary rescources, or the availability of products.

And others here must have some "rules" ideas of their own. I just threw mine on the table to get things started.

And Luv's, if no one objects, I think you would be a great moderator. Now, who else wants to be on the judging panel?

Goodweed of the North said:
And anyone that owuld use Hamburger Helper for this contest, well, they just shouldn't be entering.:ROFLMAO:
That is what I was going to garnish my trout ice cream with though :ohmy:

Does DC have any access to, or rather a means of securing items through sponsors/ads that could be used as a prize? For example, would it be possible to say, get a $50 gift certificate to be used at Amazon, Hormel Foods, etc.? That would give people more incentive to enter as well as something to at least shoot for.

I could never compete in this but would sure enjoy "watching" it. As to CollegeCook's question, couldn't the pantry items be agreed on in advance?

Ok. It's time to set a date for this thing and choose a secret ingredient. The rules still need to be fleshed out a bit more. we could also use more contestants. We also might think of pairing a couple of people together into teams.

I'm going to ask our good freind, Andy M. to pick for us a theme ingredient. And Andy, if you are so willing, remember, that we come from all parts of the globe and so the theme ingredient would have to be something assesible to all of us. So think of veggies, meats, fruits, or seafood that is universal.

And if Andy doesn't want to pick an ingredient (say for instance that he wants to participate in this thing), them maybe someone who has already stated that they won't be a contestant would like to step up.

And I think we should have a bit of time to garner enough cash in our individual pockets that we can present good foods, so maybe we could do this in another month or so.

In any case, good luck to all contestants.

Oh, and Luvs, do you want to moderate (consider that chairperson), in which case, you would pick the theme ingredient, or would you rather be a judge? And who else will volunteer to judge? And what are the judging categories? How many points are there and how are they divided up?

Before we can cook, we need to flesh this out a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom