Vitamin C-Help or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
i have a yucky cold. i have been pushing the vit.c. do you think it helps or no?

i have been told both. why don't i just drink juice? to much sugar for this old diabetic. so tell me what you think or your experience with the big C.:bangin::bangin: that is how my head feels. :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure it helps, Babe. Some say the zinc tabs might help, but only early on.

Sorry you're so miserable, feel better soon!

I believe it helps a person's immune system.

It's cheap (inexpensive), available in many forms, including dozens of chewable varieties, and I see no reason not to take it even if some folks don't think it works.

If are diabetic I'd recommend tea with lemon juice instead. I
Unless there are maybe special vitamin C tablets available, I think a lot of them have too much sugar

I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

I take chewable vitamin C a lot in the winter months and I believe that if you take them early enough, they help minimize a cold.

I've heard discussion with views from both sides of the fence. My experience is that, when I feel a cold coming on, I mega-increase my C intake per day. It could be coincidence, but since I've been doing this, I haven't had a cold of any significance. Those I have had, if you can call them colds, lasted only a couple of days at the most.

I don't know about the effectiveness of vitamin C on a cold, but I do know from experience that large doses of vitamin C will give you the runs, and if you take a large dose in the evening, it can make going to sleep difficult.

Excess vitamin C comes out in the urine. (and elsewhere, apparently!) Your body uses what it needs, then gets rid of the rest. Megadoses probably won't do much. A supplement won't hurt you, but Dr. Linus Pauling's theories from years ago regarding megadoses of C have not been proven to work.

I've tried zinc lozenges in the past (haven't had a cold in many years) and didn't find any noticeble difference, though there is some clinical evidence it may help with symptoms when taken early on in the cold.

Chicken soup is still the most highly touted remedy! Breaks up the mucous, other stuff.

My grandma made me the most wonderful hot toddy when I came home from college with a terrible cold many, many years ago. Lots of brandy, lemon, hot water, and honey. It really did help.

Last edited:
I up my c in the winter cold season. It seems that when I do get a cold that it is milder.

I hope you feel better soon Babe!

I don't think once a cold gets a hold on you that much can be done other than wait it out.

I will say that (touch wood) I havn't had a cold in years. I overdose on Vit C, Zinc & Echinacea when I feel the slightest feeling of a cold coming on. If you wait long enough to get to the store it's too late, so I keep all three on hand.
I've stopped a cold dead in it's tracks more times than I can count so it can't be a fluke.

Last edited:
I hope you feel better soon Babe!

I don't think once a cold gets a hold on you that much can be done other than wait it out.

I will say that (touch wood) I havn't had a cold in years. I overdose on Vit C, Zinc & Echinacea when I feel the slightest feeling of a cold coming on. If you wait long enough to get to the store it's too late, so I keep all three on hand.
I've stopped a cold dead in it's tracks more times than I can count so it can't be a fluke.

I agree with Kayelle, C and Zinc early on!

Plenty of hot liquid to break up congestion!

Hope you feel better kid!

My grandma made me the most wonderful hot toddy when I came home from college with a terrible cold many, many years ago. Lots of brandy, lemon, hot water, and honey. It really did help.

^^ If I'm feeling miserable with a cold and I can't sleep, this is what I have. It clears everything up, warms up your aching bones and relaxes me enough to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom