Wagyu on the hoof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer Jon

Sous Chef
Well since we decided to get back on the cattle feeding game we jumped in with both feet and took on some wagyu.

Historically we owned all our own cattle. Usually only black and red angus. Thrown in some herfords and charolais mixed in.
This time we are feeding for a neighbor. A very ambitious young man. Fresh out of college with near a 100 head herd.

These cattle are approximately a year old. We will feed them for him until this fall. Then they will go to a another farm that specialized in Wagyu for finishing before slaughter.

You typical angus is 16 months old or so at slaughter. Wagyu takes a special diet that takes a good full 2 years before they are ready.

Attachments

• 0424181517_HDR.jpg
    0424181517_HDR.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 0420181355b.jpg
    0420181355b.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 132
Okay, I'm curious. What do you feed them? What does the specialized farm feed them? And, what do you feed your Angus cattle?

CD

I believe that is known as "steak on the hoof". ;) :yum:

I suppose you know about "Regenerative Agriculture", seeing as how farming is in your blood. One of the small cattle farms in our town is raising their herd in this manner. I'm interesting in reading about their success as their herd grows.

Let us know when it's time to fire up the coals...

Okay, I'm curious. What do you feed them? What does the specialized farm feed them? And, what do you feed your Angus cattle?

CD
Our cattle are corn fed. Start out with alfalfa hay, silage and cracked corn. Over a couple of months we adjust the ration. Add more corn and take away the hay until they weigh 1200-1300 lbs.

The wagyu are fed about the same way but the ration is changed much slower. When they leave our farm to be finished it takes a keen eye to develop the best meat. They will adjust the rations accordingly. We have not developed that eye yet. It takes years of experience. They will end up around 2000 lbs. They fill out different than your "normal" cattle. Learning a lot as we go.

Most places feed their cattle distillers and corn gluten. By products from local ethanol plants. We don't do that. You have to buy a full semi load at a time. We don't have enough cattle to eat it all before it spoiled.

There are a few feed lots in the area that installed flakers. Rather than crack corn like we do the make flakes. Similar to corn flakes but they are cooked like what you buy in the store.

I believe that is known as "steak on the hoof". ;) :yum:

I suppose you know about "Regenerative Agriculture", seeing as how farming is in your blood. One of the small cattle farms in our town is raising their herd in this manner. I'm interesting in reading about their success as their herd grows.

Let us know when it's time to fire up the coals...
That is interesting. I live near Fremont. My old stomping grounds as a teenager.

Our cattle are corn fed. Start out with alfalfa hay, silage and cracked corn. Over a couple of months we adjust the ration. Add more corn and take away the hay until they weigh 1200-1300 lbs.

The wagyu are fed about the same way but the ration is changed much slower. When they leave our farm to be finished it takes a keen eye to develop the best meat. They will adjust the rations accordingly. We have not developed that eye yet. It takes years of experience. They will end up around 2000 lbs. They fill out different than your "normal" cattle. Learning a lot as we go.

Most places feed their cattle distillers and corn gluten. By products from local ethanol plants. We don't do that. You have to buy a full semi load at a time. We don't have enough cattle to eat it all before it spoiled.

There are a few feed lots in the area that installed flakers. Rather than crack corn like we do the make flakes. Similar to corn flakes but they are cooked like what you buy in the store.

So, more like a feed lot than a farm. For some reason I thought you had cattle grazing on your farm. I figured Wagyu was probably fed something like corn, to develop that fat marbling. It's hard to get that kind of fat from grazing on grasses.

CD

Last edited:
Yea except on very small scale. When you see cattle grazing they are cows and bulls and young calves. Unless you are raising grass fed beef.

Back
Top Bottom