"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2020, 06:29 AM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

CG, pony tail holders work, too. Most of our masks use them. The facility made 160 masks and are looking to make more.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #22
Master Chef

Schools have been closed for a month now. Since I am auxiliary staff and the teaching has moved to online, there is little need for interpreters. So while the teachers are holding online office hours and attending staff meetings through Zoom, I'm stuck at home. I've been cooking nearly every night. Something I haven't done for a while since many evenings I'd be going to some kind of church or community event after school. We occasionally order food from local restaurants for take out. I managed to sort through 3 file drawers of papers. Sorted me winter clothes and packed them up. Just generally piddling around the house. I'm generally a homebody but I miss my daily interactions with the kids and singing with my 2 choirs.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #23
Master Chef

For the past, oh I don't know, maybe 2 years, I've had an old box
filled with family photos that my Mother had stashed in one of
her closets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5769.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	40402

DH said, "How did you get her to give you this?"
I explained to Mom that I would digitize them for her.
I started to do so awhiles back, but my computer AND
printer/scanner died.
I've replaced both to newer and improved models and
have just in the past week, started back up.
I think once I'm done, I'll put them all into some nice
Photo Albums for her too, I know she likes to sit and
look at old albums.
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
CG, pony tail holders work, too. Most of our masks use them. The facility made 160 masks and are looking to make more.
I don't have any of the elastic ones around here, just fabric ones that look like mini scrunchies. Since I don't plan on going out for at least another week, more like two, I decided if I needed to get something online it should be plain elastic.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #25
Master Chef

We're planning to reopen in two weeks..still going in daily and working on the renovations and cleaning...trying to keep the same routine so it's not a shock to our system when we have to go back for 8-9 hours a day...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I bet you guys can't wait until you can resume somewhat of a normal life again, Roch. So, pretty much like the rest of us.

I (foolishly) thought I would use this situation to get some serious work done around here. So far, all I've managed to accomplish is wishful cleaning...

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Old 04-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I bet you guys can't wait until you can resume somewhat of a normal life again, Roch. So, pretty much like the rest of us.

I (foolishly) thought I would use this situation to get some serious work done around here. So far, all I've managed to accomplish is wishful cleaning...

I love that! I'm stealing that line CG
Old 04-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
I don't have any of the elastic ones around here, just fabric ones that look like mini scrunchies. Since I don't plan on going out for at least another week, more like two, I decided if I needed to get something online it should be plain elastic.
I had to get some elastic, too, as I have a lot of N95 masks, but I got them so long ago, getting deals on them, that the rubber straps break the first or second time I use them. So I got some thin (1/8") elastic - the only one available, as thicker ones were gone, or only available in huge quantities - then weaved 3 together, until it seemed about the right length, tied off the other end, and sewed 2 of them on a mask, with kevlar thread (it will outlast the elastic!). Worked great! I also tried some without weaving, but the weaving worked better, and didn't really take long. So far, I've got 4 masks done. I didn't even realize that these masks were N95 - I just got them because they were supposed to be much better than those one strap five for a dollar masks, for filtering wood dust, in my workshop.
2020-04-12_04-18-54 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 04-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've been making masks too. I was going to help one of the organizations here with their mask-making as they had too many fabric cutters and not enough sewers, but it turns out they wanted everyone to BYO sewing machine to their facility. They didn't want people to sew them at home as those masks never made it back to the organization. So I said forget it and will continue to cut, sew, and donate my masks from the comfort of my home.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We have three ladies sewing masks, we need enough for four day turn around for all the employees. I know I have two more Vog Masks, somewhere, but do you think I can find them? Haven't seen them for 5 years. I do have one, but saving it as my personal mask for shopping.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #31
Master Chef

Here's something that I did yesterday ...

It rained pretty good the past few days and washed away
the Hopscotch that I drew, but that's ok, `cuz it gave me
the opportunity to do this ... fun and fun for the kiddos.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:24 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:

This is sooo us.. Jeannie and I talked about all the things we could accomplish while staying home.. Yeah, right..

So far, the only thing we have accomplished is becoming world class movie watchers. We have surpassed the number of watched movies of the past 10 years..

Ross
Old 04-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

We've been binge watching TV. Our daughter hooked us up with Prime. We decided to watch one episode of Mrs. Maisel. One. Didn't work...

Old 04-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
We've been binge watching TV. Our daughter hooked us up with Prime. We decided to watch one episode of Mrs. Maisel. One. Didn't work...
Old 04-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
...I (foolishly) thought I would use this situation to get some serious work done around here. So far, all I've managed to accomplish is wishful cleaning...
I'm making progress on that cleaning thing. Since my above post, I actually, really, IRL got the living room done. Did it over four days time, but it's not like we're entertaining anyone.

I've even managed to lose three pounds... without trying. I think maybe I should start trying!

Old 04-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I used the method in this video to make a mask. I didn't use a sock. I used part of the sleeve of an old, cotton turtleneck.

This is what it looks like. Good enough for taking the garbage to the curb.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #37
Master Chef

Dear Beach,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawaii 014.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	40652

I miss you so much.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:11 AM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:

I've even managed to lose three pounds... without trying. I think maybe I should start trying!
Same thing happened here, without trying, though the main thing is staying out of the kitchen much of the day. I've lost just under 15 lbs, and I think it's from spending almost the entire day outside frequently, and only coming in to refill my iced tea glass. This is only going to happen a while longer, then I will want to be inside...in the AC.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:11 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

I've been cleaning and spending a lot of time by the window in general.

I don't like a mess, and I'm trying my best to keep things clean, which is easy coz I live by myself. My girlfriend tends to toss clothes, books, and other things around, so I'm glad she's not with me right now. Haha. I'm sure she feels the same way about me constantly picking up things from the ground and trying to find a place for them.

Other than that i'm reading a lot more now with the time I save on commutes and just relaxing after work. I'm a serious mid-distance runner (10 k in less than 37 minutes), so not being able to run is troubling but I'm doing some strength work at home, improvizing with resistance bands and mild weights. I realized I'd like to invest in a really basic (read as not too expensive) but effective home gym.
laughlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #40
Master Chef

I've been walking uptown to a recently opened distillery. They are giving away hand sanitizer and selling their products, 2 hours a day, twice a week. I discovered they are selling green chile infused vodka. I couldn't imagine what that would be like, so I bought a bottle, you know, supporting a new local business. It is a bit unnerving smelling green chile as you raise a glass of spirits, but it really is good. This gets me out twice a week!