Waiting out the "zombie attack" - Covid-19 hunkering down activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CG, pony tail holders work, too. Most of our masks use them. The facility made 160 masks and are looking to make more.

Schools have been closed for a month now. Since I am auxiliary staff and the teaching has moved to online, there is little need for interpreters. So while the teachers are holding online office hours and attending staff meetings through Zoom, I'm stuck at home. I've been cooking nearly every night. Something I haven't done for a while since many evenings I'd be going to some kind of church or community event after school. We occasionally order food from local restaurants for take out. I managed to sort through 3 file drawers of papers. Sorted me winter clothes and packed them up. Just generally piddling around the house. I'm generally a homebody but I miss my daily interactions with the kids and singing with my 2 choirs.

For the past, oh I don't know, maybe 2 years, I've had an old box
filled with family photos that my Mother had stashed in one of
her closets.

IMG_5769.jpg

DH said, "How did you get her to give you this?"
I explained to Mom that I would digitize them for her.
I started to do so awhiles back, but my computer AND
printer/scanner died.
I've replaced both to newer and improved models and
have just in the past week, started back up.
I think once I'm done, I'll put them all into some nice
Photo Albums for her too, I know she likes to sit and
look at old albums.

CG, pony tail holders work, too. Most of our masks use them. The facility made 160 masks and are looking to make more.
I don't have any of the elastic ones around here, just fabric ones that look like mini scrunchies. Since I don't plan on going out for at least another week, more like two, I decided if I needed to get something online it should be plain elastic.

We're planning to reopen in two weeks..still going in daily and working on the renovations and cleaning...trying to keep the same routine so it's not a shock to our system when we have to go back for 8-9 hours a day...

I bet you guys can't wait until you can resume somewhat of a normal life again, Roch. So, pretty much like the rest of us. :LOL:

I (foolishly) thought I would use this situation to get some serious work done around here. So far, all I've managed to accomplish is wishful cleaning...

I bet you guys can't wait until you can resume somewhat of a normal life again, Roch. So, pretty much like the rest of us. :LOL:

I (foolishly) thought I would use this situation to get some serious work done around here. So far, all I've managed to accomplish is wishful cleaning...

:LOL:
I love that! I'm stealing that line CG ;)

I don't have any of the elastic ones around here, just fabric ones that look like mini scrunchies. Since I don't plan on going out for at least another week, more like two, I decided if I needed to get something online it should be plain elastic.
I had to get some elastic, too, as I have a lot of N95 masks, but I got them so long ago, getting deals on them, that the rubber straps break the first or second time I use them. So I got some thin (1/8") elastic - the only one available, as thicker ones were gone, or only available in huge quantities - then weaved 3 together, until it seemed about the right length, tied off the other end, and sewed 2 of them on a mask, with kevlar thread (it will outlast the elastic!). Worked great! I also tried some without weaving, but the weaving worked better, and didn't really take long. So far, I've got 4 masks done. I didn't even realize that these masks were N95 - I just got them because they were supposed to be much better than those one strap five for a dollar masks, for filtering wood dust, in my workshop.
2020-04-12_04-18-54 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I've been making masks too. I was going to help one of the organizations here with their mask-making as they had too many fabric cutters and not enough sewers, but it turns out they wanted everyone to BYO sewing machine to their facility. They didn't want people to sew them at home as those masks never made it back to the organization. So I said forget it and will continue to cut, sew, and donate my masks from the comfort of my home.

We have three ladies sewing masks, we need enough for four day turn around for all the employees. I know I have two more Vog Masks, somewhere, but do you think I can find them? Haven't seen them for 5 years. I do have one, but saving it as my personal mask for shopping.

This is sooo us.. Jeannie and I talked about all the things we could accomplish while staying home.. Yeah, right.. :ermm:

So far, the only thing we have accomplished is becoming world class movie watchers. We have surpassed the number of watched movies of the past 10 years.. :LOL:

Ross

...I (foolishly) thought I would use this situation to get some serious work done around here. So far, all I've managed to accomplish is wishful cleaning...

I'm making progress on that cleaning thing. Since my above post, I actually, really, IRL got the living room done. Did it over four days time, but it's not like we're entertaining anyone.

I've even managed to lose three pounds... without trying. I think maybe I should start trying!

I used the method in this video to make a mask. I didn't use a sock. I used part of the sleeve of an old, cotton turtleneck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnBIXHQy524

This is what it looks like. Good enough for taking the garbage to the curb.

yBi0_XXj9gGCvAS4SbDYyNBRo1PNbY2-CjIgIsp_9MqaoJLfP802JywT1JrNlP_ycnJmeRDLaTSQlXeMi5W_DdvaRRiH3GhldBPzgnqfqxwH2zrjGezcF559ynra8IIIhirtebjkco9WH2H4OO_jyuP_s1m2oQQ6Bj7CudJgZOnbZbKxqaLyKffeawzYz-y3g1ukdjGRs3XinqUr2Xiitkco4It__Uvl1byct4QOc7vPFez97JJD_kQcKVLAZggF1Q93FuOHgCRgeGqJsd4GznUlU6XKlXuXeDUgiPlJAAZejuo9vMxN748dPndqjvEzH1oxvelHE9DlDiOTW721q_AuFf1vZU0_UqM0qRLSU3XRF2wmY0BzEH56W6GG2doBtjW-Kdl8DuDvGifTb34bzTylIWSO7q3dEd-oiF04yvdVQ9jYqbY6va5t6RqckDKr1N3HXdmd9LgrqOhhG_iGsVj3tTOVXyYK-ym9XJZKwfMY8ud5FNtT0RHNKJhhHlSi1dMKasQAkwhpDo2qfjVnlG54fahHn7C7u-LjzqZ5F50lJXxqMq3n7Ky3G8D03KqzeZs1oKBXfzEA_mMnSzSeVw-D6CT5Vwc3BU326HezxrmAcPz0W8icyrB4F67X3Q4R1m4Ss--jl74wPjpGF59Ac6aLaop_ezKecGT0ScBsr7iNzpoHZjy0Ut_ByS1XAE8=w474-h632-no

I've even managed to lose three pounds... without trying. I think maybe I should start trying!
Same thing happened here, without trying, though the main thing is staying out of the kitchen much of the day. I've lost just under 15 lbs, and I think it's from spending almost the entire day outside frequently, and only coming in to refill my iced tea glass. This is only going to happen a while longer, then I will want to be inside...in the AC.:LOL:

I've been cleaning and spending a lot of time by the window in general.

I don't like a mess, and I'm trying my best to keep things clean, which is easy coz I live by myself. My girlfriend tends to toss clothes, books, and other things around, so I'm glad she's not with me right now. Haha. I'm sure she feels the same way about me constantly picking up things from the ground and trying to find a place for them.

Other than that i'm reading a lot more now with the time I save on commutes and just relaxing after work. I'm a serious mid-distance runner (10 k in less than 37 minutes), so not being able to run is troubling but I'm doing some strength work at home, improvizing with resistance bands and mild weights. I realized I'd like to invest in a really basic (read as not too expensive) but effective home gym.

I've been walking uptown to a recently opened distillery. They are giving away hand sanitizer and selling their products, 2 hours a day, twice a week. I discovered they are selling green chile infused vodka. I couldn't imagine what that would be like, so I bought a bottle, you know, supporting a new local business. It is a bit unnerving smelling green chile as you raise a glass of spirits, but it really is good. This gets me out twice a week!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom