Wanted it. Tried it. Meh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, I meant steamed Fiona

Yes frying in oil would be nice with some cheese sauce on top maybe

I had heard all kinds of good about raw oysters. Meh. Doesn't gross me out, but kinda bland and the texture leaves plenty to be desired.
It is amazing how much difference there is in oysters. Location seems to be everything! The oysters that come from the Chesapeake Bay are much milder than the ones from Swans Quarter (my personal preference). I reckon the same is true all over the world.

Nutella. I wanted to try it for the longest time, thinking it was a hazelnut spread. I finally bought some (expensive) and found it tasted like a kind of thin and very bad chocolate sauce. I won't waste my money again, and no, I wasn't able to use it up. I threw it away after trying several times.

I tried it once and it was so salty. I had to spit out the first mouthful. Horrible. And I used to feed that to my kids? My son came by at just the right time. He took a mouthful and went home. Tossed out the boxes he had in his cabinet. :rolleyes:

On top of it, it's ridiculous to look at the ingredients and realize you can do the same thing quite easily out of your pantry and it will taste good. The hamburger helper stroganof did, though, inspire me to make stroganof -- the real thing -- for my family, and it is still one of my biggest hits all around. My mom used to buy these things (she was mostly a cook-from-scratch person) when we went on camping trips and cookouts weren't an option for weather. Or when we were moving from station-to-station, living in cheap motel rooms and she was feeding us from her trusty electric skillet and her percolator (which she never made coffee in, just used it to boil water).

I really hope your son didn't toss them out, but donated to a food bank. Even hamburger helper is better than an empty tummy!

kadesma said:
Why Kylie yuking at asparagus? Shame on you. I roast mine in evoo after I wrap it in prosciutto and as it comes out of the oven shave parm over the top and I like to sprinkle the whole mess with evoo and white balsamic . Give it one more try there girl:LOL:
kades

You can wrap it in bacon too! Babetoo taught me to wrap it in puff pastry too. Yum!

Zhizara said:
Nutella. I wanted to try it for the longest time, thinking it was a hazelnut spread. I finally bought some (expensive) and found it tasted like a kind of thin and very bad chocolate sauce. I won't waste my money again, and no, I wasn't able to use it up. I threw it away after trying several times.

Dark chocolate almond butter is good. Much better than Nutella IMHO.

Ms

Sorry, I meant steamed Fiona

Yes frying in oil would be nice with some cheese sauce on top maybe

Y'know, I don't like steamed anything except rice ;) It just waters down the flavor of the ingredient. Sprinkle with evoo, S&P and roast for about 8 minutes. I use the toaster oven, since it's usually just the two of us. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar or lemon juice when it comes out and serve right away. It's best when hot.

Another meh - creme brulee. I like strong flavors and, while I rarely eat dessert, I usually want something with chocolate :)

Dark chocolate almond butter is good. Much better than Nutella IMHO.

I'm sure it would if that was what I was hoping for which was a nutty change for peanut butter.

I had no idea it had (so called) chocolate in it and that it would take over any possible taste of the nuts, and such lousy tasting chocolate at that.

Thanks for the info though, I'll have to try it. I'll bet it would be good spread on some gingersnaps.

I had heard all kinds of good about raw oysters. Meh. Doesn't gross me out, but kinda bland and the texture leaves plenty to be desired.

Deep fried or oyster stew. Now those I can fill up on. But not raw. They are also good done on the BBQ grill. Cooked right in their shell and juices. A squirt of lemon and a drop of hot sauce. :yum:

I'm sure it would if that was what I was hoping for which was a nutty change for peanut butter.

I had no idea it had (so called) chocolate in it and that it would take over any possible taste of the nuts, and such lousy tasting chocolate at that.

Thanks for the info though, I'll have to try it. I'll bet it would be good spread on some gingersnaps.
The ingredients list should have tipped you off- lots of sweetener and vegetable oil.

Zhizara said:

Yes. My grandsons like it between any cookies.

Deep fried or oyster stew. Now those I can fill up on. But not raw. They are also good done on the BBQ grill. Cooked right in their shell and juices. A squirt of lemon and a drop of hot sauce. :yum:
Oh, I love cooked or smoked oysters. It's just the raw ones that are meh. Someone told me I had to try it with hot sauce. :rolleyes: Then I will only taste the hot sauce. What a waste of a perfectly good oyster.

taxlady said:
Oh, I love cooked or smoked oysters. It's just the raw ones that are meh. Someone told me I had to try it with hot sauce. :rolleyes: Then I will only taste the hot sauce. What a waste of a perfectly good oyster.

New Orleans raw oysters rock. Though I did get violently (and thankfully briefly) ill from a bad one years ago.

I taste coffee once a year just to be sure I still don't like it. I used to be able to get a doctored cappoccino from Quick Trip (no other place) every couple months - more flavored creamer than coffee, but the caffeine made my heart flutter. I grew up dunking cookies in my dad's coffee & liked it.
I still don't like beets, beer, or headcheese.
My college geography teacher brought food for every area we studied, including bagels & lox and caviar. I liked them.

Funny, to each their own.

I love caviar, sea urchin and oysters. Too bad the first two are so pricey I can't indulge often (or in the case of sea urchin, the quantity I would like).

Oysters are like ambrosia to me, especially the cold bay west coast varieties around here (kumomato, Penn Cove, etc etc etc). I like them just about any way, but nothing is better on the half shell. And NOT with hot sauce. At most a squeeze of lemon or a mignonette. Fresh, briney, absolutely essence of the sea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom