War and Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Does anyone else have friends, family in the military in the middle east? Do you connect with them regularly? My nephew is on his third tour; a friend is on his second. I'm just wondering how many of you correspond with Afghanistan and Iraq.

Does anyone else have friends, family in the military in the middle east? Do you connect with them regularly? My nephew is on his third tour; a friend is on his second. I'm just wondering how many of you correspond with Afghanistan and Iraq.

Yes, Claire. I correspond with two young men and one young woman from our area, sending them care packages about every two weeks. I am a friend of their Mother's. One of the young men I have met in person.

The care packages include: personal hygiene items, cookies and books. Also, anything I hear their Mom's say they wish they could send.

The last packages had the stuffed animals I got at PetSmart for their donation drive.

Yes, Claire. I correspond with two young men and one young woman from our area, sending them care packages about every two weeks. I am a friend of their Mother's. One of the young men I have met in person.

The care packages include: personal hygiene items, cookies and books. Also, anything I hear their Mom's say they wish they could send.

The last packages had the stuffed animals I got at PetSmart for their donation drive.
That is wonderful that you are able to do that for them!

:)Barbara

A young woman whom I have known since she was about 6 is a Captain in the Canadian Air Force as a helicopter navigator and her husband, also a Captain is a helicopter engineer. They have been stationed together and apart on carriers off Afghanistan, Haiti, and other areas several times in the last couple of years. She has done two tours trying to catch the Pirate ships which she said is the most unnerving for her because they are in the middle of the ocean and these guys just don't let up.

Her mother and I are close and I keep them all in my prayers and write to the daughter when I can. When they visit I hug the stuffing out of her hoping it won't be the last time.

Last edited:
A young woman whom I have known since she was about 6 is a Captain in the Canadian Air Force as a helicopter navigator and her husband, also a Captain is a helicopter engineer. They have been stationed together and apart on carriers off Afghanistan, Haiti, and other areas several times in the last couple of years. She has done two tours trying to catch the Pirate ships which she said is the most unnerving for her because they are in the middle of the ocean and these guys just don't let up.

Her mother and I are close and I keep them all in my prayers and write to the daughter when I can. When they visit I hug the stuffing out of her hoping it won't be the last time.
I've been wondering how they are doing (and her sisters). If you have any extra hugs to pass out, please let them know I have been praying as well.

That is wonderful that you are able to do that for them!

Cats and Kids, I gotta do something. My Grandson is in Germany, right now, who knows when that can change. The other Grandson is in Alaska, that can change, too.

my bil, a full bird colonel, just retired after 30 years in the army. his last day is october 31st.

i'm not sure he would have retired, but after spending the better part of the last 5 years in iraq, afghanistan, and the horn of africa, he'd had enough.

i'm glad he's home, and will be home for good for my sis. it's been tough on her raising their 4 kids by herself so many times.

their 2 sons are in the virginia military institute, and eventually will enlist when they graduate. i can only pray that the wars over there will be over by the time they're ready.

I have a friend who lives in San Diego. She is a few months home from a tour in Afghanistan.

She stayed in touch with friends through LiveJournal, Facebook, and email. Other than not worrying about her now, it's hardly any different, since she's on the other side of the continent.

Nephew did a tour at GTMO, two in Iraq, now Afghanistan. I used to do a lot of IM-ing with him (I'm an insomniac and my 3-4 a.m. meanderings often caught him), now it is facebook with the entire family in on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom