Warning - Microwavable Heating Pads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket_J_Dawg

Sous Chef
We had the fire alarms go off in our condo last night. Turned out that up on the 16th floor one of the owners was heating a microwavable heating pad when it exploded, setting off a fire in the microwave and causing what we were told today, $25000 in damage. The kitchen has to be completely replaced as well as the rest of the suite has to be cleaned for soot damage.

We had one that we hadn't used in a long time but tossed it in the garbage today.

Be careful guys. If you have one think twice about your safety.

We had the fire alarms go off in our condo last night. Turned out that up on the 16th floor one of the owners was heating a microwavable heating pad when it exploded, setting off a fire in the microwave and causing what we were told today, $25000 in damage. The kitchen has to be completely replaced as well as the rest of the suite has to be cleaned for soot damage.

We had one that we hadn't used in a long time but tossed it in the garbage today.

Be careful guys. If you have one think twice about your safety.
I read a warning about this a few months ago.

Mother was given one but when I sorted her house out after she died I tried it out and it smelled so vile I threw it away. I suspect the wheat had sprouted and gone mouldy.

I'm a hot water bottle fan. Nothing like it on a cold winter's night.

How long was the pad heating in the microwave? I often heat a moist towel in a plastic bag in the microwave and it's plenty hot in less than a minute and 30 seconds.

On the positive side, the apartment residents will get a brand-new, fully outfitted kitchen. :brows: Kinda of a yucky way to get a remodel though.

I have a small hot/cold pad for when you get a headache. It's just some rice and lavender buds. I wonder if that kind might explode too, although I only use it chilled out of the freezer.

On the positive side, the apartment residents will get a brand-new, fully outfitted kitchen. :brows: Kinda of a yucky way to get a remodel though.

I have a small hot/cold pad for when you get a headache. It's just some rice and lavender buds. I wonder if that kind might explode too, although I only use it chilled out of the freezer.

Mine says to only microwave it for 30 seconds at a time and take the inner pouch out of the outer cover.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom