Watch your prices at Walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
I was so irritated tonight other than the awesome price i got on a micro. Anyways i got 4 serrano peppers. I usually don't even look at the price stuff is ringing up i just trust them (BIG MISTAKE). I watched her ring up the 4 serrano peppers and the price came to $8.72....I WAS LIKE OMG. I immediatly said something of course. I was like serranos at the price of saffron. Anyways he comes back and acts like he fixed it. As i am walking away i am looking at my receipt and i see they charged me for an entire pound of serranos not 4. I dought 4 of them weigh a pound. They would be world record size serranos then. I was so irritated. So then i have to go to customer service and wait in a huge line to get it refunded and the lady ask the manager of the floor supervisors to come over. She takes me to a still has a drawer in it (nice lady she was) and charges me what i was supposed to get charged for the peppers $.28. Can you believe that. Can you imagine how many people don't watch this stuff and get overcharged. I remember my dad gettting charged $4.00 for a head of garlic.

I guess im just trying to warm everyone to watch everything as its being scanned to make sure they are not ripping you off.

Ncage

I'm always very careful when I shop for anything. When I do my grocery shopping I carry a detailed list (I made on the computer.) and rarely stray from the list. I also carry a pocket calculator and enter each item I purchase (rounded off) so, when I get to the checkout, I know within a few cents what my total should be. I've caught quite a few "mistakes" at most all the stores I shop. Buck says I can make a penny bleed. I don't know about that, but I know I'm a very watchful shopper. I've always been this way. Came from shopping for a large family where I had to really, really make my dollars stretch.

Thanks for the idea Katie..They put a WalMart next to Costco so guess where I go just to get out of the house...LOL I will carry a calculator with me from now on.
marge

When I lived in Cairo I was used to buying minced beef a kilo (2.2lbs) at a time so when I picked up a package of meat back in the states that stated it was 2 lbs i knew there was no way. Sure enough I took it back to the butcher who reweighed it and it was barely 1.5 pounds! So if your selections don't "feel" like the right weight they probably aren't.

Never carry a calculator and am afraid do not stick to a list.

But do carefully watch the check out process and if I am unable to carefully take the receipt and reviewit before I leave the store. We can usually remember everything we bought, particularly with the detailed receipts oone gets today.

Yes, but be very careful with peppers if you are buying them loose. The prices of different peppers in our local stores often varies significantly. And usually the checkers cannot tell a jalapeno from habanero or serrano, or almost any other pepper. So always remember the price per lb of the peppers I am purchasing and make sure that is the price I am paying.

And when that look comes over the cashier's eye that indicates he has no idea what the pepper is I chime iin.

Just my take on things.

I'm a numbers' person. I keep a calculator within sight at all times. I also keep a mental calculation going when shopping and know if the talley at the cash register is close to correct.

I usually carry a list, but rarely carry a calculator. However, I almost always go through the self-checkout line. That way, I know EXACTLY what gets rang up, and how much it costs vs. how much it's supposed to cost.

I guess the reason I carry a calculator so much is because my last job required one. I abandoned my watch immediately when I retired, but still use a calculator daily for various things.

If it's a long list, sometimes I make slash marks for each $, rounded a little up or down. It doesn't give me an exact amount but it's close enough to let me know if the checker has made a mistake or they haven't changed the price in the register. I can't begin to count how many times I've challenged a price and I'm usually right.

I don't like it when they start checking out my food before the cart is unloaded. I like to watch the prices that come up on the register.

Great idea, YT! I'll start carrying a calculator when I'm taking a shortcut through a back alley. :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

ncage1974 said:
I was so irritated tonight other than the awesome price i got on a micro. Anyways i got 4 serrano peppers. I usually don't even look at the price stuff is ringing up i just trust them (BIG MISTAKE). I watched her ring up the 4 serrano peppers and the price came to $8.72....I WAS LIKE OMG. I immediatly said something of course. I was like serranos at the price of saffron. Anyways he comes back and acts like he fixed it. As i am walking away i am looking at my receipt and i see they charged me for an entire pound of serranos not 4. I dought 4 of them weigh a pound. They would be world record size serranos then. I was so irritated. So then i have to go to customer service and wait in a huge line to get it refunded and the lady ask the manager of the floor supervisors to come over. She takes me to a still has a drawer in it (nice lady she was) and charges me what i was supposed to get charged for the peppers $.28. Can you believe that. Can you imagine how many people don't watch this stuff and get overcharged. I remember my dad gettting charged $4.00 for a head of garlic.

I guess im just trying to warm everyone to watch everything as its being scanned to make sure they are not ripping you off.

Ncage

I worked in retail for 23 years. I saw this happen all the time. I watch all of my receipts. I see overcharges happen at "all" stores. We have a grocery store here that if the item does not ring up right, they will give you that item free. I can't tell you how many grocery items I got free. Please watch your receipts.

you know, ncage, walmart used to have a policy where if they overcharged you for anything, they'd refund + give you $2 for your trouble. had it on square stickers by each register at the wm in the little town where i went to college.

i certainly used to bring a list back in the day when i was shopping for all my college roommates, or for stuff for mom...but now that it's just me, i just bring a ballpark concept. "hmm, some fresh fruit of whatever type looks best, some salad veggies, maybe some bread."

Watch out also for TJX-owned stores, such as Marshalls, Bob's Stores, TJ Max, Home Goods and AJ Wright!!

They had their computer system hacked by a criminal to get personal info from everyone who used credit and debit cards there to pay for stuff. This goes as far back as '02, according to the news!

I'll NEVER shop at ANY of those stores again!! My debit card was canceled and I was forced to wait over a month for a new one! I'm so done with them!! I was a loyal customer to TJ Max. Not any more!:mad:

Sounds like the stores you've all mentioned are into price gouging. Bait and switch. But then again, the workers there are only making slavery wages, so they are more than likely overworked and underpaid!:mad:

Last edited:
I've got some retail experience. Honest mistakes happen all the time, especially on sale items; the temporary shelf price isn't always carried through the system correctly. The 'rack rate' may still be the scanned price. The more people involved in the chain, the more likely that an error creeps into the mix. Honest mistakes are a norm. Sadly, I've also personally witnessed these situations as scams deliberately implemented by management people; mostly as way to scam more and higher sales, knowing that most people will buy into the sale, then miss the actual charged price. There are also techniques for skimming, where, in the end, the manager is ripping off his own store. Multiply a single, thin dime by thousands of transactions.....

But then again, the workers there are only making slavery wages, so they are more than likely overworked and underpaid

Oh that was so true in my case when I worked at K-Mart

middie said:
But then again, the workers there are only making slavery wages, so they are more than likely overworked and underpaid

Oh that was so true in my case when I worked at K-Mart

I hear ya! Not at all upset with you, but don't even get me started about slavery wages.

I worked there also and got slavery wages. I'm at a job now, that only pays slavery wages, and I want out of it!!:mad:

I was offered a choice for this coming summer; take a layoff or work. I chose the layoff so that I can find a better paying more respectable job. I'm not going back there in the fall.

I'm so sick of these co's that work the crap out of you, pay you slavery wages and on top of everything, they treat you like dirt!!! Where I'm employed, part-time workers aren't even allowed to take a short break!:mad:

It's no wonder they can't keep workers there, because they don't treat them right. They just walk all over them and dare them to say something!!:mad:

That's how K-mart is also. I ended up walking right out of there. The manager was a first-class jerk! He had us move ridiculously heavy pallets of stuff out in an area on the side of the store, then ten minutes later, he wanted us to move all those same heavy pallets of stuff back inside!! I told him that my back was really bothering me and I couldn't move the stuff back in. "Do it or leave!!", he yelled. I told him to take that slavery-wage job and stick it in his back pocket, and walked out. I'm about to do the same with THIS job. The manager there is also a jerk!! Acts like he OWNS people!:mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom