Water and Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
A while back we had a discussion about water boiling at lower temperatures at altitude (which is why tea tastes vile on aeroplanes). I was listening to "Inside Science" on the radio tonight which said that it had been proved that time passes more quickly at altitude too (apparently Einstein came up with the theory but it was only proven with atomic clocks a couple of years ago).

You clever clogs may already know this but I didn't and I thought it was interesting. Ain't science wonderful!

Not totally on the subject, but I think the reason tea taste vial on yah plains is because of how it's made, rather than altitude. And a side note. I was taught as a child that for proper tea you bring water just under boiling, but do not actually let it go into full boiling.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Not totally on the subject, but I think the reason tea taste vial on yah plains is because of how it's made, rather than altitude. And a side note. I was taught as a child that for proper tea you bring water just under boiling, but do not actually let it go into full boiling.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Oh dear. 64,000,000 English persons must be wrong. We are taught boiling water for tea "take the teapot to the kettle, not the kettle to the teapot" as we were always told - off the boil for coffee because boiling water "burns" coffee grounds. Here you are:

How To Make The Perfect Cup Of Tea | Whittard of Chelsea

I think that the reason a lot of people, particularly abroad, don't like tea is that they don't boil the water. I once shared a flat with someone who made his tea with water from the hot tap in the kitchen (before the days of fancy modern boiling water taps). He always wondered why I politely declined his offer to make tea for me! And Whittards have it right when they advise warming the pot. I had a pair of Great Aunts, who had run a very select guest house, who warmed the cups too! Now there's posh!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom