Water bottles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erehweslefox

Sous Chef
So I got a nice new water bottle c/o my wife, Waves Forever cold model, to wit:

https://www.wavesgear.com/collections/insulated-water-bottles/products/insulated-water-bottle-silver

OK to start with, and what everyone cares most about, it is a good insulated water bottle. Used it this weekend in 85-90 plus temps, added and subtracted water, mainly added water that was coldish to very cold water in there (first filling was mostly ice), and I still have cold water today. Now I have refilled it with water and ice, mostly water though, only one refill with ice, which was Sunday morning, today is Tuesday, and still, despite refills with tepid water, still appreciably cold.

As far as thermal efficiency? Haven't tested with hot drinks yet, but one does have to fill it with ice water or ice and water if you want cold water. If you fill it up with tap water and leave it in the refrigerator overnight, it will have tap water temp tap water the next day. So it basically laughed at my refrigerator. This and the fact that it has kept frozen ice in it for over 12 hours, yeah. Well insulated. We will see come December if it survives a night outside the tent without freezing the water inside. That would be a useful skill.

Size is awesome. It is a full 34 oz. I measured. THANK YOU. I have a cabinet of water bottles I have either picked up at trade shows or people have given me that are 10-12 oz. Yeah, for real? That is like a sip. I run through more water than that at a desk. Now I have something I can carry where I have water if I'm not hiking. Serious, I went to an outdoor wedding and was considering wearing my osprey hydro-pak (3L) over my suit. Wife convinced me not to and I was miserable for an hour. And the freakin' thing was on the beach, and they didn't bring enough water... which 'I could have brought this to a wedding' segues into.

Looks, nice looking bottle. I got the simple stainless steel, because I don't care how you put the paint on it, if I got a white or black one? it will come off in patches in a couple of weeks, so I didn't even want to mess with it. BTW, what outdoorsman wants a black water bottle? I mean I guess Alaska, but these are insulated, so you would be forever melting snow. I wouldn't get one just for the possibility it would heat up the bottle more in the sun. Anyway steel is fine with me, Love the cap billeted metal, bamboo and a silicon gasket as the only plastic part? Cheers!

Durability, Been to work and a picnic, rolled about in the back of the car without damage. I reserve comment on this issue until I've taken it camping.

Hasn't been beat about yet. I expect this to have the care I usually use for my gear. I classify this bottle as, 'not indestructible but probably not that fragile', so it will live on the outside of my pack, also it will live on the outside as it is filled with delicious cold water, that I might need access to. I will be quick and critical if it gets upset for the bumps that goes with.

so at the moment? Buy it.

Oh here is mine with a half paracord wrap. Ran out of paracord, otherwise I'd have wrapped the whole thing.

https://goo.gl/photos/atGE3vLbV8Jmj5Gs9
atGE3vLbV8Jmj5Gs9

Very nice bottle! It's incredible how efficiently they insulate.

I have a couple of Klean Kanteens, one insulated and the other one is not. I like them both. The single walled bottle can be placed directly over a camp fire or stove to boil water. I also like them in plain brushed stainless finish.

It's pretty pricey, but I hate warm water and I'd like to have one to take in the car when I'm gone for the day.

I thought the same thing then I convinced myself that they are just a modern version of the old Stanley thermos bottles I used to pack in the car. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm still too cheap to buy one, I have a couple of water bottles that I fill half full and leave in the freezer, I top them off with some tap water and they stay cold for a couple of hours in the car on a hot day.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing then I convinced myself that they are just a modern version of the old Stanley thermos bottles I used to pack in the car. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm still too cheap to buy one, I have a couple of water bottles that I fill half full and leave in the freezer, I top them off with some tap water and they stay cold for a couple of hours in the car on a hot day.

Just because I'm feeling chatty tonight, I have a story to tell about the old Stanley Thermos. Anyone can stop reading now for whatever reason.

My newlywed teenage husband (circa 1963) insisted he needed a very expensive Stanley Thermos to be one of the guys with his new job as an apprentice electrician. We bought it, (shudder) with the understanding it was good for a lifetime. Over many years it was abused to the point of it being dropped off the top of buildings a couple times, and looked like it had been in a war. I bought him another one maybe 20 yrs later, and sent the old one back to the company in the new box just for fun. They sent me a check for the cost of the new one. He had that one for the rest of his life. :)

Just because I'm feeling chatty tonight, I have a story to tell about the old Stanley Thermos. Anyone can stop reading now for whatever reason.

My newlywed teenage husband (circa 1963) insisted he needed a very expensive Stanley Thermos to be one of the guys with his new job as an apprentice electrician. We bought it, (shudder) with the understanding it was good for a lifetime. Over many years it was abused to the point of it being dropped off the top of buildings a couple times, and looked like it had been in a war. I bought him another one maybe 20 yrs later, and sent the old one back to the company in the new box just for fun. They sent me a check for the cost of the new one. He had that one for the rest of his life. :)

I loved reading your story Kay, thanks for sharing. :) That's pretty cool that they sent you $ to replace it after so many years. Not many companies nowadays would do that.

Stanley's are good thermoses, particularly the older ones.

One thing I like about the Waves is that like the Stanley it has double wall aluminum construction, without a glass liner, which breaks if you drop it. It is a more expensive way to make a vacuum bottle, but much more durable.

Oh, for those concerned about cost for a water bottle, you can get it at 50% off by using the coupon code JULY-FS50 which comes to about $20. I don't have any connection with them, but I thought since I posted a review I should post the coupon code as well.

TBS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom