We had to put our 16 year old cat to sleep tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Toots, I had to wait till I was home from work and alone before I read this thread. Just seeing the title this morning made me tear up.

My heart hurts for you. As have many others, I have been there, too.

Best thing for me is to get a new kitten as soon as possible. Kittens lift a heavy heart in an instant!

Lee

I know what you went through with your cat, I had the best dog of all the dogs that
I have owned come down with a tumer in his throat and it was so big it was staring to
cut his oxygen off to where it was hard for him to breath, And we had to put Otis to
sleep. I can`t think about him very long without getting tears in my eyes. We loved him
that much.

I know what you went through with your cat, I had the best dog of all the dogs that
I have owned come down with a tumer in his throat and it was so big it was staring to
cut his oxygen off to where it was hard for him to breath, And we had to put Otis to
sleep. I can`t think about him very long without getting tears in my eyes. We loved him
that much.

OMG!!:ohmy:

I'm so sorry to hear this. My prayers are with you as well.

Dog and cats are like family. They live with us and we give them the best love possible. But also like family, we treat them as our loved ones, and so, when something tragic happens to them, we also feel the loss just as if they
are human.

It is always a hard decision to make. It is heart-breaking to have to say that your dearest friend needs to go. With very few exceptions, we outlive our pets. By-the-way, when we don't out live them, they mourn us as well.

I am so sorry to hear that. It's always a huge loss when a pet leaves us. Their presence, company, love, and compassion is severely missed.

This happened to me when I was 17. We had a cat since I was 3 years old, Mitsie. One day we noticed he was trying to eat but he couldn't. We saw him get skinnier and weaker and after a visit to the vet, we were told he had a tumor in his throat. (I have always thought it was my Father's fault, because he smoked in the house for most of Mitsie's and my life and had only just stopped a couple of years before.) We brought him home and awaited the operation, while he looked more and more sick and weak. It was so heartbreaking to see him like this.. my cat was starving to death and I could not do anything to help him. Finally we brought him to the vet and the vet said there was a chance he would not make it through the operation because he was so weak. I tried to say my goodbyes in the vet room but she was rushed to take him away. I prayed that I would see him afterwards and of course, hoped.

I went to school and when I came home, my father was sitting on the front steps of the house and I knew what had happened. He told me Mitsie had been too weak to wake from the operation.

It took us a few days to actually remove his dishes and box from the house. Everytime I walked by them I would start to cry. I am still crying now after typing this, 6 years later!

Afterwards, my father had been hinting he wanted a dog. My mother, both being cat people, took the opportunity when my father was away for the weekend to go to the humane society. We said we were going to get a cat... we ended up with two:

a beautiful Tortoise shell Calico (Felicia)

img_571288_0_8c1537af023ad89eb41be034e386ecd5.jpg

img_571288_1_e73a59ae6210096cff506bb3ea9cae63.jpg

and a gorgeous grey and white tiger stripe (Crystal). They have stolen our hearts!

img_571288_2_63e1bccda393b32c1c414ba63df5e011.jpg

img_571288_3_fe26b4715398fdd6e7fc1d93898d97be.jpg

Toots, I'm so sorry you had to go through this. We had to put down our 18-year-old cat in November, so I know how hard it is, and how close we become to them. My condolences.

:(:(Ive been avoiding this post because I knew it would make me cry. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

I'm not reading this thread.

Last time I empathized about having to put down a cat I broke down. I wasn't right for .... a while. Not doing too well just writing this. Hmm,

OTOH, the last cat we had to put to sleep .... I I had just installed the hand built 7/8 inch Ash cabinets in the kitchen, wifes OLD cat decided it was going to use it as a litter box ....

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Toots I know how you're feeling. I still miss Disney and it's been almost 2 years. She was 13. It's never easy and I feel for you right now. I'm so sorry.

Thanks again for all of the kind words and messages. I got out a box of old pictures and found some good ones of Hayden, we want to remember him in happier times when he was a cute and frisky boy. He went downhill so fast. He was in perfect health (or so I thought) until late November. At least he is not suffering anymore.
Cats and dogs (and other pets) don't live long enough, thats for sure.

aww, man toots. i'm really sorry to hear it.

i'm really choked up reading this knowing our oldest cat will be gone soon. she's given us so much.

ah, well, there's nothing more to say. :(

sorry about your loss. keep him in your heart always.

:( Sorry for your loss... I enjoy every moment I spend with "my" cats (they are my parents' cats). One of them is a bit sickly, and my parents refuse to take her to the vet. She's almost 10 years old, and I can't see her lasting more than a few years.

When my fiancee and I go over to spend the weekend, we sleep in the basement with the cats and give them tons of treats and spoil them with love. They sleep in bed with us, Itty Bitty (my favorite, and I'm her favorite) sleeps right above my head on my pillow with her head on my hand, and Buttercup curls up under the blanket next to my fiancee. Poppi, the weird goofy one, comes and goes.

Point is...I can relate. I love the cats so much - they aren't pets, they're members of the family. I wish they could live forever, but they can't. I make it a point to enjoy and cherish every moment I have with them, making sure they know that at least two people truly love them. When they're gone, I'll laugh and smile at the memories of how goofy they are. :)

Here's Poppi...

img_571904_0_ef575a3b3bd8b37efe6b18cc928de066.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. I just recently lost my 12 year old Miniature Pinscher, and not a day goes by that I don't cry about it. I miss him so much. I also have a 16 year old cat, and I worry about him as well. It's so hard to let go.

BC

:(:(Ive been avoiding this post because I knew it would make me cry. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Wow, that's beautiful, jp! Makes me weepy.

My father says he believes this. Well, he wants to, anyway. So do I.

Thanks for posting it!

Lee

My daughter in law just informed us that Sushi, the oldest of our cats that we acquired in Egypt is getting more feeble by the day.........she is a Siamese and was known to leap tall buildings in a single bound.......she is 14 years old......the thought of losing her is too painful to even think about as we got her as a very mischievous kitten......I'm sniffling as I write this...........even my daughter in law who NEVER grew up with cats loves her dearly..........we got Sushi to cheer my 8 year old daughter up as she had to leave so many friends behind in Texas to move to Egypt...she has a personality all her own and her favorite pursuit was to sniff the flowers out in the garden and chase butterflies---never caught one as far as I know

Sorry to hear this Expatgirl. Has Sushi got an illness or is it just age? I remember a friend of mine had a Siamese and she suggested that this breed has a few health issues but I'm not overly familiar with them. I hope it is just a treatable complaint. Keep us posted please.

Thanks so much Bilby for your concern-----I knew better than to get on this thread this afternoon.......I'm feeling down as it is and this one just did me in.....if my d-i-l notices that Sushi is getting more feeble day by day (this is my d-i-l that was in full labor with contractions 2 minutes apart and wasn't sure if she was in labor) I'm very worried......she was looking grizzled and very slow moving when I was home 4 months ago so yes, I think that it is just a matter of time....we'll be home in 6 weeks

Back
Top Bottom