Weight gain ggrrrr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
exercise regularly, slightly reduce portions, reduce fats by 1/3. drink water, watch sugar intake. make every calorie an important one...in other words, cut the sodas or candy. As we age it gets harder to loose and keep weight off.

Balance

sattie said:
I don't diet, never have, never will. I exercise regulary and I utilize portion control. Eat what I want, just try to stick to the serving size that is suggested. Sometimes I splurge on a nice meal, then my next meal I try to compensate for it by eating a smaller meal that is more healthful. Once you get the word diet out of your head, I think it is much easier to reach your goals. Stay away from pills, and fad diets... just eat what you want, exercise, and portion control. OH, when you are eating, take smaller bites and eat slowly!!! That will help the over eating or splurging thing that can happen when you are eating something really good!!!

Couldn't agree more!! There has to be balance. No thoughts of diet when you eat otherwise will ruin what you should do. My family, has always been overweight, never diet. Do you believe they are all living and parents died in their 90's. If you can live independently and reach 90, in my opinion, that is blessing. I feel being on a diet and having everyone talk about them is ruining society. If people would stop and eat what is right, lot of fruits and vegetables, of course water! We wouldn't have this epidemic as they refer to it if people would cook for the family. You people excluded. Everyone running to fast food and tv dinners. It truly hurts me that everyone feels so bad when they are overweight. I really never even give that a thought unless it is affecting their daily life.

FORGOT: Exercise or move as much as possible.

Thanks ITK!!! One other thought crossed my mind... I do like to go out and eat, not at fast food joints, but at nice restaraunts. The one thing that I have found no matter where you go to eat is that the portion sizes / and calories are enough for 2 people or at least one day's worth of calories. Hubby and I half everything. We half our dinner entree, or if at a fast food place, we half the sandwhich and split an order of fries. Most restaraunts will split the entree for you on to two plates and that is just about the perfect amount of food. The only draw back is that you both have to want the same thing. But by doing it this way, we eat less, save money, and there is less food wasted.

Another adjustment I made was not to cook so much... cuz we would eat it!! I would cook just enough to make a serving size portion, and that is it. Once you have eaten it.. it's all gone!!! Those little tricks will help to keep your intake in check and you still get to enjoy the things you love!!!

Desserts?

It seems that everyone here wants desserts? How do you get around that? I have tried substituting yogurt, cottage cheese (low fat)w/fresh fruit, and seems I just can't get around them asking for some kind of pie or cake. I don't mind fixing once in while but every night really is like a child that keeps after you to do what they want! Do you think it is because i don't fix lot of pasta or starch that makes them still hungry? I have told them it is not good to eat after 7 in evening. What I say doesn't hold water it seems that they don't believe me. I just hope as the weather gets warmer they will be more active and move more.

I often do find recipes here that are good to fix. Goodweed usually comes up w/something that is healthy. I always look for those recipes.
sattie what you said about smaller portions is good idea. Also don't fix but what you should eat for one meal. No leftovers.

In the Kitchen said:
I often do find recipes here that are good to fix. Goodweed usually comes up w/something that is healthy. I always look for those recipes.
sattie what you said about smaller portions is good idea. Also don't fix but what you should eat for one meal. No leftovers.

Some things I don't mind leftovers, but you stated it right, fix only enough to satisfy you without filling you up. That is what I said about eating slowly and small bites.... savor the flavor. As for deserts... I like them just like the next person, but I just try to keep my desserts to once a week, and that once a week I really like to splurge on something yummy!!! As for something every night, well, creativity can be helpful here in drumming up something sweet and healthful. But I would really strive to get it down to where we are enjoying the sweet treats to once a week. I like chocolate and have it almost every night.... but I just have one tiny square, eat it slowly, and chocolate craving is gone.

Another idea... when you are eating muchie foods like chips, instead of sitting down with the whole bag.... pour out a small portion in a bowl, seal up bag and then sit down with the bowl to enjoy. This could help in keeping from eating the whole bag!

I've lost roughly 10 pounds in a month in a half without really trying to. I take pilates, yoga, and dance classes, plus I do a lot of walking. I've also noticed that drinking a full glass of water with/before every meal leaves less room for food and you feel fuller faster. But what it really comes down to is burning more calories than you consume.

Another contributing factor to weight gain/loss: Getting an average of normal rest. Although it differs from one person to the next. People are absorbing more food to include desserts and alcoholic beverages to get a power boost.

Stress and depression are also major contributing factors in physical health. Children are really being put to the test with both their parents working. Also dealing with the level of stress and depression that are created by job loss.

Then there is the "party pack." You have heard of the spend thrifts. People who eat out everyday and usually more than once a day are "party packers."
They have no boundaries or limits in their lives. They are very demanding and impatient. Need it now! and do not usually answer the call of nature until it is an emergency. Their lives are out of control and balance leading to very poor choices.

I heard about this woman who got gastric bypass surgery and went to her doctor a few days later complaining of horrible pains. . . know what they found out? It was the feeling of hunger. She had never experienced that sensation before. Crazy! I think if you don't know what hungry feels like, you need to consider changing a few of your eating habits. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom