Weird quirks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't sleep in an unmade bed either. I helped my daughter move in her new apartment last week. As soon as the movers left, I found her linens and said come on let's make your bed - she thought I was crazy when there were so many other things that needed un-packed, but the next morning she said she was sure glad when bedtime came :)

I have an alarm clock quirk too, but not like larry's. I do not like to be woken up by a person. If someone wakes me up, I feel like I did not get all the sleep I could have gotten because people have a habit of waking you up a little early, just in case. I prefer an alarm clock because I choose the time I will be rudely dragged, kicking and screaming, from blissful slumber. :mrgreen:

:)Barbara

What a fun topic!

I don't think I have very many, but the few that I have are a bit strange...

Whenever DH and I are walking through a store (any store) there always seems to be something that seems to have a certain texture that I *HAVE* TO TOUCH! It wasn't until I got married that I noticed how often I do this. DH and I will be holding hands, and he'll notice me going towards a certain object, and he'll try to pull me away from it!! I know it's silly, and does not make a bit of sense, but I HAVE to see what it feels like! I have absolutely no idea why.

Another is that I absolutely hate to get my face wet. When i'm taking a shower, I have a small wash cloth that I hang over the shower curtain, so that way if too much water splashes on my face, I can quickly dry it off. I always wash my face at the end of my shower, and will dry my face with a clean towel that I hang by the bath tub (not the same wash cloth). I get so mad if I have to go outside while it's raining, and I don't have an umbrella. If that happens, i'll normally try to find a magazine or something to help block the rain from hitting my face.

I'm sure there's probably more, but that's all I can think of right now..:rolleyes:

My quirks are food related...I like celery, but raw, not cooked. And other things like that. DH says it makes it virtually impossible to cook for. I'm getting better, but it's rough.

My food can't touch. That's #1, and most important!
If clothing hits the floor it's dirty.
Unmade bed, I don't think so. Dh thinks I'm goofy making a bed just to get in and mess it up. (Who says I'm gonna mess it up?)
I hate tight collared shirts, make me feel like I'm choking..... but I don't mind necklaces or turtlenecks. But give me a t-shirt with a neck to high..... sorry.
I have to cook and do housework with good tennis shoes on. But I don't like shoes in the house. Solutuon? I have a pair of tennies for in the house only. That is a little wierd I guess.
My late SIL would gag when she saw wet paper. Same with wet bread. DH used to throw wet paper towels at her just for a laugh. Nice brother huh?

I have an unusual "alarm" clock thing. I don't use one. I just set my body to the time I need to get up. Been doing this for nearly 30 years.

If I need to get up at 4 a.m., I just set "myself" to do that. Never fails me.

The bed thing...yes. I have to have my bed made up before I can go to bed. Buck is like a ferris wheel. When we get up in the morning, I'm lucky the covers are in the same county. Sometimes I have to make the bed from the "ground up." Ugh!

I will admit, that I could care less if the bed is made before I go to bed...I mean, i'll quickly make sure the sheet and comforter are evenly over the bed, but that's about it. DH is the one who can't sleep in it unless the "fitted sheet is tightly pulled, the sheet is tucked in at the feet and pulled to an exact spot (not too high, not too low) the comforter is tucked in at the feet and pulled about an inch lower than the sheet, and his pillow fluffed up)... lol he's NUTS!

:) My belly button I will let no one touch my belly button EVER. I can barely touch it myself. I do keep it clean but I get totally creeped out touching it. When I was about 12 years old I told my mother that in a past life during the medieval times I had been shot with an arrow right in my belly button and that is why it creeps me out. How I came up with that I do not know but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. By the way it's an inny.:wacko:

SO says I have quirks but I don't think so. What do you think?

I load the dishwasher a certain way because things fit better. This includes sorting the dirty silverware into separate compartments (all teaspoons in one, all large forks in another, etc). That just makes it easier to put them away.

When putting laundered underwear away, I rotate it by putting the newly washed stuff on the bottom of the pile.

Those aren't so weird, are they?

I also have to have all the clocks and watches in the house set to the exactly correct time. If you look at the digital clocks in the kitchen (stove, microwave, coffeepot) they all change to the next minute at the same instant.

When adjusting the volume on the TV, I adjust in increments of 5, setting the volume to 20 or 25, or 30, 35, 40...

Last edited:
Alarm clock time.
I have a set of rules about numbers that are "good" and "not good"

The time must be odd (6:01, 6:07 are good, 6:02, 6:04... are bad)

The numbers cant be in numerical order (6:54, 5:43.... bad) ** 6:54 is bad also because its even

No 2 of the same number in a time " 6:33, 6:55... not good "

If more than one number in the time is divisible by 3 , it is not good (6:09, 6:03 )

Cant end in 0 or 5 (6:30, 6:35 ...)

Just for the record, My alarms are set 6:01 and 6:07
quote]

i've # issues with my clocks. i'm obsessive compulsive.

SO says I have quirks but I don't think so. What do you think?

I load the dishwasher a certain way because things fit better. This includes sorting the dirty silverware into separate compartments (all teaspoons in one, all large forks in another, etc). That just makes it easier to put them away.

When putting laundered underwear away, I rotate it by putting the newly washed stuff on the bottom of the pile.

Those aren't so weird, are they?

I also have to have all the clocks and watches in the house set to the exactly correct time. If you look at the digital clocks in the kitchen (stove, microwave, coffeepot) they all change to the next minute at the same instant.

When adjusting the volume on the TV, I adjust in increments of 5, setting the volume to 20 or 25, or 30, 35, 40...

Omigosh, Andy!!!! Are you my evil twin. I do exactly the same things you do. I just view them as practical and efficient.

could not understand why there were such huge halls upon entering apartments and homes in K. (small otherwise)------it's to take off your wet shoes or muddy ones dep. upon the time of the year and NOONE enters without taking them off and taking off all their winter coats, furs, etc. etc. etc............it was easy to see why there was a need for such a room early on.............

as far as arranging the dishwasher so it's more efficient----this is how my DH inherited this job for about 5 years.....he criticized my inefficient methods (oh did I mention that he was a mechanical engineer by trade????) and I walked away from the job and said that it was his for life.........unfortunatley I didn't count on him being sent overseas so my poor dishwasher was left once again to my "ineffecient" arranging once again.......it's not been his priority since.......hmmmmmmmm

...I load the dishwasher a certain way because things fit better. This includes sorting the dirty silverware into separate compartments (all teaspoons in one, all large forks in another, etc). That just makes it easier to put them away...

...I also have to have all the clocks and watches in the house set to the exactly correct time. If you look at the digital clocks in the kitchen (stove, microwave, coffeepot) they all change to the next minute at the same instant...
I don't have a dishwasher, but I am the same way about how I load the dish drainer.

I am the same way about clocks. In fact, a couple of our clocks are the kind that automatically set themselves by the atomic clock in Boulder, Colorado. If someone asks me what time it is, if it is 3:47, I tell them it is 3:47, not 3:45 or "almost 4:00."

:)Barbara

When I am cooking I do not want any body with in 50 feet of where I am working. I drives me insane to have some bodu gawking at me when I am working. If I catch some body watching me I will stop and invite them to another room/ place/ or out of my house till dinner is ready. Another thing that drives me nut is for some one to handle my knives
or my tools. I keep my knives razor sharp. And on my work table I have a place for every tool and it is all ways there when I am working so I can get it when it is needed.
Just a little OCD

I know I have them, but after seeing this thread several times now, I could not come up with one. So I asked the question aloud to my hubby and he informed me that one of my weird quirks was that I lick the plate!!! I'm imbarrassed..... but it is true. Specially anytime we have char grilled steaks. I can't leave all those wonderful juices behind!!!!

So there..... I told ya!!!!

could not understand why there were such huge halls upon entering apartments and homes in K. (small otherwise)------it's to take off your wet shoes or muddy ones dep. upon the time of the year and NOONE enters without taking them off and taking off all their winter coats, furs, etc. etc. etc............it was easy to see why there was a need for such a room early on.............

as far as arranging the dishwasher so it's more efficient----this is how my DH inherited this job for about 5 years.....he criticized my inefficient methods (oh did I mention that he was a mechanical engineer by trade????) and I walked away from the job and said that it was his for life.........unfortunatley I didn't count on him being sent overseas so my poor dishwasher was left once again to my "ineffecient" arranging once again.......it's not been his priority since.......hmmmmmmmm
Just be glad he let's you use the DW..Mine makes it a point to wait til I leave the room, then he grabs everything puts it in the sink and proceeds to wash it and stack it on a towel to dry, thus creating a certain designer look on the counter..When dry, take a look cuz Mr. doesn't wear his glasses and now we either pick off the leftovers or rewash..He also insists on something on the bottom of the sink so as not to scratch the stainless steel he insisted we get..YUK and phooey..More later if needed:ROFLMAO:
kadesma

I am not really thrilled with having my young ones in the kitchen with me. I know they're curious, and want to learn. I'd love to teach them. However, I have hangups about "blocking traffic" and "getting in the way", and the little ones tend to always be right in front of where ever I need to go in the kitchen.

They are learning, though. They've learned that if they find something to stand on and watch from across the bar, I have no problem with that.

I don't have a problem with other people being in the kitchen with me, as long as they know to always tell me when they're behind me, keep a hand on my back, etc. I've been known to start moving with a pan full of hot liquid and suddenly find my path blocked. Since I'm at home, I don't normally call out, "Hot Pan moving!"

I have a hangup about blocking traffic. I hate to park on a street, unless there is no other parking. I'm good at parallel parking, though, go figure. Trying to make a left turn, in rush hour traffic, with no light, to me, is absurd. I'll detour up to 4 miles out of my way (all the way around the section, if I have to) just to get to where I need to be to get into a shopping center without making a left turn.

I cannot stand to "block traffic" with a shopping cart in a grocery store. I always "park" up against the shelving. I also cannot stand to be "parked" for more than a few seconds, because someone "might" need a package that I'm blocking.

I have a quirk about bowls when I do dishes. They should always be stacked so that the biggest bowls are on the bottom. We have several different sizes/brands of bowls for breakfast cereal / soups, and those get stacked accordingly. Also, when I'm loading bowls into the dishwasher or the dish drainer, smallest first, then bigger as I go through the stack. I have also noticed another quirk. PeppA bought a bunch of bowls, different colors, but same shape. I have to keep the same color from touching. Don't know why. They don't have to be in a set pattern, but two bowls of the same color can't touch.

Also, when I do dishes, I will go through the house looking for dirty dishes. My MIL gets hacked at me when I dump the glass she has sitting on the table and wash it. Seems she likes to fill that cup, and drink out of it until it's empty, TWO DAYS LATER. Me being in the restaurant biz, will, food left out for a few hours go bye-bye, if in doubt, toss it out.

Back
Top Bottom