Weird Reading Question about US libraries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I posted this over at BAR too, but I thought maybe someone here could help.

I've been able to download Mobi books from our library and convert them to read on my Kindle. That is no longer possible with the advent of Kindle books available at online libraries.

So what is the problem, you may be wondering, since Kindle books are now available to download directly? The problem is that they are ONLY available in the US. There is no information on when they will be available in Canada. ARGH! I had several books lined up and poof! Gone.

And now, to the point. Can anyone tell me if I need to be present in person to get a library card in the US? Would I need to prove residency or anything? I have a couple of friends in MN who might be able to get me a card, but failing that can anyone here help me out? I'll pay for the card, I just need to know how to get one.

I've been able to download Mobi books from our library and convert them to read on my Kindle. That is no longer possible with the advent of Kindle books available at online libraries.

So what is the problem, you may be wondering, since Kindle books are now available to download directly? The problem is that they are ONLY available in the US. There is no information on when they will be available in Canada. ARGH! I had several books lined up and poof! Gone.

And now, to the point. Can anyone tell me if I need to be present in person to get a library card in the US? Would I need to prove residency or anything? I have a couple of friends in MN who might be able to get me a card, but failing that can anyone here help me out? I'll pay for the card, I just need to know how to get one.

Why don't you just use your friend's card? I assume you don't actually need the physical card...

Most library's require proof of residence, driver license, apt. rental bill, something so they can contact you if you skip out with a book. I know you are not going to skip out with a book, especially since you are down loading the books, but they just want a physical address.
Unless your Friends are willing to dummy up a rental bill for you, or their library less struck on issuing a library card, it sounds like you are going to have to come up with another plan. Sorry, best of luck trying to get your card.

So you are saying that the Canadian libraries won't let you download books from them anymore, so you want to download books from the US's libraries, but you need to be a US citizen to do so?

Can you just use your friends address to get a US library card? Oops I see the problem, you will not be to Minnesota in the near future to appear in person? Got it now. I guess I am no help at this point, but I an going to ponder this.

Last edited:
Can you just use your friends address to get a US library card? Oops I see the problem, you will not be to Minnesota in the near future to appear in person? Got it now. I guess I am no help at this point, but I an going to ponder this.

Thanks Somebunny. Yes, that is exactly my issue. Do I need to be there in person? I think I would. I suppose someone could pose as me, and I could send myself mail to my friends address so they have "proof" of residency. Seems like a pretty big hassle though.

I wonder if Homeland Security monitors DC?

I'm Canadian, let them monitor away. ;) Seriously though, I don't think a library card would be their most pressing issue!

I'm Canadian, let them monitor away. ;) Seriously though, I don't think a library card would be their most pressing issue!

Don't look at it as getting a library card...
Look at it as establishing citizenship in a foreign country :ermm:

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Alix, I just did some checking, some libraries issue out of state cards, now I am not sure if that includes out of country. It does appear that you can apply online at some libraries, it wasn't clear what the required documentation was for "out of state" cards. Maybe a little more research.....you might get more info with a phone call though.

I wonder if Homeland Security monitors DC?
I know you were asking this "toungue in cheek", but I asked the Librarian just awhile back if they could look up my book loaning history to find out how many of a series I had read and they told me:

"It's not legal to keep your book loan history. There is a law against it"

However, H.S. is like "Big Brother" and is likely able to find and collect any data they want.

There are "Flag Words" and phrases that, if used online, will draw security people like flies. The "K" word, the "B" word and more than likely, the "M" or "I" words.

many sites have lots of these types of words on their "Not allowed" list that will replace those words with asterisks.

I know that isn't exactly what you were asking, but it came to mind when I read you post.

Alix , I googled "out of state library card" and several places came up, Rochester NY, California State Library system, some in Minnesota......I checked my state, but couldn't see anything about out of state cards. Keep in mind the fees were all over the place. I think California was the lowest at $10. I also saw a yahoo(I think) forum discussing this subject, someone there mentioned that they live close to the border and their town issued cards to Many vacationers, I would imagine they were Canadian visitors from the gist of the conversation. Good luck with this Alix. If I see anything else I will let you know :)

Back
Top Bottom